PDA

View Full Version : track rod and ball joint, why no grease

macafee2
27th January 2018, 12:46
when refitting the track rod end and lower ball joint to the front "stub axle"
why is grease not used? These are moving joints and metal to metal.

thanks

macafee2

Les4048
27th January 2018, 13:52
when refitting the track rod end and lower ball joint to the front "stub axle"
why is grease not used? These are moving joints and metal to metal.

thanks

macafee2

It’s a tight taper fit so doesn’t move, only the ball joint in the cup moves and it’s loaded with grease

macafee2
27th January 2018, 18:48
It’s a tight taper fit so doesn’t move, only the ball joint in the cup moves and it’s loaded with grease

it moves in the rubber part at the bottom not at the bolt?

macafee2

T-Cut
27th January 2018, 19:03
The boot is there to stop muck getting into the grease that lubes the ball/seat. There's just enough packed into the ball joint during manufacture to last it's normal service life. This will be shortened if the boot gets damaged. The tapered pin/'bolt' is the mounting and locking system. Tapers won't turn when tightened down.

TC

macafee2
27th January 2018, 20:37
thanks Les4048 and TC. I feel stupid, I really thought they turned at the bolt. I can relax as it's been bugging me this afternoon

fool of the week goes to me.

macafee2

trikey
27th January 2018, 21:11
The next arms I fit, im going to drill and tap a hole and fit grease nipples to the ball joints, I can then see if they last any longer...

rustymotor
28th January 2018, 07:02
The next arms I fit, im going to drill and tap a hole and fit grease nipples to the ball joints, I can then see if they last any longer...

In the good old days a lot of components had grease points and a grease gun was part of your tool kit :}

Les4048
28th January 2018, 08:41
thanks Les4048 and TC. I feel stupid, I really thought they turned at the bolt. I can relax as it's been bugging me this afternoon

fool of the week goes to me.

macafee2

No one is a fool by asking a question, no one can possibly know everything and I bet your question has answered something that many other wanted to know but were too frightened to ask.

Les4048
28th January 2018, 08:44

For all the price they are is it really going to be worth the effort. I can see you doing it with your mechanical knowledge but if the man in the street tried it they could make a right mess of it. We have self tapping grease nipples which would make it easier after drilling an 1/8 hole

Jim Jamieson
28th January 2018, 09:02
When I replaced my drop links I looked inside the rubbers and found they had barely any grease in them.
I packed as much grease as I could then refitted the rubber. Those drop links lasted a whole lot longer as a result.

steve-45
28th January 2018, 09:07

I knew I should not have thrown my grease gun away ...... :duh:

T-Cut
28th January 2018, 09:30
I personally doubt there's enough meat on the ball housing to cut a decent thread. Drilling a hole with the ball in place sounds like a problem. But stuff nowadays uses the very minimum of metal possible to do the job so I'll be interested to hear how it goes (and maybe a HowTo if it works?)

TC

Comfortably Numb
28th January 2018, 19:35
Drilling the hole for the nipple, are you not likely to get swarf in the joint?