PDA

View Full Version : Heater Matrix Flush Observations

Alanbp
29th January 2018, 13:00
Must admit to finding this a really fiddly faffy job. The passenger side heater was almost non existant.

Apart from accidentally mangling a fixing for the panel above the pedals, I got the matrix pipes disconnected and the matrix out. The upper pipe clamp is near enough invisible and I had to use a lit extension mirror.

The passenger side of the matrix was pretty blocked - I poured boiling water from a kettle into it and the drivers side was too hot to touch but the other side barely warm. I soaked it in Rad Flush and then ran through some more very hot water. Eventually the matrix passenger side warmed up so it was clearing.

Refitted the matrix, and getting (especially the upper) pipes reconnected with those horrendous clips was a real trial. I had ordered the replacement clips/o-rings from e-bay but they were a smidge too big for my car. They leaked afterwards. Refitted the old clips but it took multiple attempts to get them sealed. It also took a while and a few miles to fully bleed the system so that the matrix refilled and got the air out. Used new G30 Comma coolant, as the original coolant was 2 years old. Its now good to -30 degrees. Will refit the footwell/console panel next weekend when I am sure its been leak free for a week. Hate the thought of it leaking behind the panel!

The job encompassed 3 of my most hated things on cars 1. Working in tiny dark spaces where you cant even see things you are trying to undo! 2. contorting under dash boards and 3 Plumbing!

Saying that - it would have been a breeze compared to the Xantia I used to have - they were famous for 1 leaking Matrix and the whole dash had to come off to change it. 8-10 hours! Shouldn't complain really!

roverbarmy
29th January 2018, 15:11
I hate to tell you (after the event), but it is much easier to just take the rubber heater pipes off the engine under the bonnet. You can add radflush, using a funnel, leave it for a while, then flush out the same way. ;)

Heddy
29th January 2018, 16:47
I hate to tell you (after the event), but it is much easier to just take the rubber heater pipes off the engine under the bonnet. You can add radflush, using a funnel, leave it for a while, then flush out the same way. ;)
I tried this, but it still didn't clear. I'm wondering if a liquid kettle descaler would work, it smells like acid (probably is)

kaiser
29th January 2018, 17:25

And what, take all the fun out of it???:D
This forum seems to consist of 1/3 masochists, 1/3 conformists, 1/3 anarchists and 1/3 dyslectics:getmecoat:

Of course you treat the heater in situ, anything else is simply not very clever, considering the associated problems.

roverbarmy
29th January 2018, 18:03
And what, take all the fun out of it???:D
This forum seems to consist of 1/3 masochists, 1/3 conformists, 1/3 anarchists and 1/3 dyslectics:getmecoat:

Not to mention the mathematicians! :getmecoat: