PDA

View Full Version : Rattling door lock button!

Mgaz
29th January 2018, 21:53
Hi all.. Had my MG ZT for just over a week now, and I'm starting to find the odd little thing here and there that is in need of attention.

One thing that is annoying me at the moment is the locking button on top of the drivers door has a very irritating rattle.

I can't seem to twist it tighter or anything to make it go away, and it just seems to rattle regardless of whether it's in the open position or locked.

Anybody else had this problem? Is there a way to shut it up?

It seems to be the only thing in the entire interior that rattles, and coming from owning old audis, you would think I would be able to ignore one little rattle when my audis have several! :/

Cheers! And Thanks in advance! :)

The Rovering Member
29th January 2018, 22:06
Apparently you can take the button off & put a plastic straw down over the lock-rod to cure it.
Never had that problem myself.

planenut
29th January 2018, 22:12
I've always had that annoying rattle and have considered several ways of trying to cure it, but "the last straw" could be an answer, I'll give it a go.

Mgaz
29th January 2018, 22:28
Apparently you can take the button off & put a plastic straw down over the lock-rod to cure it.
Never had that problem myself.

Great!.. Will take a look into that. :)

I've always had that annoying rattle and have considered several ways of trying to cure it, but "the last straw" could be an answer, I'll give it a go.

Lol Just need to work out what length straw I need to draw!

:D

roverbarmy
30th January 2018, 09:14
I slipped a small section of plastic shrink wrap (for wiring) over mine, heated it for a few seconds with a heat gun and hey presto, job done. Never rattled since. (one size was too big and the other too tight, so had to open it up a bit by pushing a pencil down the end, before using);)

marinabrian
30th January 2018, 23:10
I cured this problem prior to refitting the door cards on the project 75 today ;)

The original anti rattle was a little tab folded in, part of the door water shedder.

Now as I had some self adhesive 20mm wide 4mm thick closed cell foam rubber, which I'd bought to fabricate a new gasket for the number plate lamp PCB, I stuck a strip of this across the oval aperture, where the sill button rod exits the door, then cut a slot into this where the rod moves up and down.

A quick spray of Teflon lube on the rod to make sure it doesn't stick, and on with the door cards.

I can confirm that each and every one of the fleet will be getting this treatment, as the doors are now silent :drool4:

Sometimes it's the little things that make a big difference ;)

Brian :D

KWIL
31st January 2018, 14:54
My rattle is the button for the powered mirrors! Not much movement up/down, but it rattles!!