PDA

View Full Version : About to buy an MG6 engine but have some questions

AustinMaxi
31st January 2018, 08:31
Due to various mechanical issues with my 1.8T I have been advised that it will be cheaper to replace my engine rather than repair it.

With this in mind I am looking at an MG6 engine. Now, as these are not popular cars there isn’t a great deal of choice.

I have been able to obtain quotes for two engines:

One is from a 2013 car with 68,000 miles for an all in cost of £960 with a 3 month guarantee.

The second is from a 2011 car with 45,000 for an all in cost of £760, however this car has been stood in the breakers yard since 2015 but comes with a 3 month guarantee.

As the cheaper one has been stood for over 2 years, should I steer clear of it?

Stickman
31st January 2018, 11:27
You would be best to send a pm to mgjohn buddy
He’s done this conversion and sure to be able to help
Regards
Chris

Ravinder
31st January 2018, 11:30
I believe John has dropped a 1.8 turbo engine from the newer MG6 into a ZTT.

AustinMaxi
31st January 2018, 11:40
I've no issue with whether it fits, I'm just unsure if there would be any problems with an engine that has been sat unused for nearly three years.

Bogbrush82
31st January 2018, 12:05
I've no issue with whether it fits, I'm just unsure if there would be any problems with an engine that has been sat unused for nearly three years.

Depends on how it was stored. Was the bonnet open exposing the engine to the elements, or was it shut and protecting it?

fandango151
31st January 2018, 16:14
Not much help to you but the SAIC version is a cracking motor OH has one in their 6 - the gearbox is what let's it down so no worry on a transplant.

Just one thing - the bottom pulley can be of poor quality so they never time up too well (manufacturing fault on the shoulder of the key in it) mgr one fits nicely.

You would be wanting to change belts and this pulley on a scrapper - it isn't much more of a challenge to go that one step further and do a HG on an MGR unit so don't let it completely sway you to thinking the 6 engine is a MUST.
Edit: the turbo, manifold, ECU and lots of connectors are different so you'd need to swap over the mgr ones .. another thing to keep in mind.

marinabrian
1st February 2018, 07:42
Not much help to you but the SAIC version is a cracking motor OH has one in their 6 - the gearbox is what let's it down so no worry on a transplant.

Just one thing - the bottom pulley can be of poor quality so they never time up too well (manufacturing fault on the shoulder of the key in it) mgr one fits nicely.

You would be wanting to change belts and this pulley on a scrapper - it isn't much more of a challenge to go that one step further and do a HG on an MGR unit so don't let it completely sway you to thinking the 6 engine is a MUST.
Edit: the turbo, manifold, ECU and lots of connectors are different so you'd need to swap over the mgr ones .. another thing to keep in mind.

The OP's engine has more wrong with it than HGF ;)

Martin, I would say the one that has been out of the car since 2015 will be fine, I'm sure Dave will be doing belts and pump before he fits it to your car :)

As much as it pains me to say this, you should have bought a diesel bearing in mind your car usage, having said that having a N series will make your beast a little more reliable :)

Brian :D

AustinMaxi
1st February 2018, 11:57
The seller says the bonnet has been closed at all times.

I suppose these decisions are a bit of a leap of faith. You're never quite sure what you're going to end up with.

Daveluck
1st February 2018, 12:57
The seller says the bonnet has been closed at all times.

I suppose these decisions are a bit of a leap of faith. You're never quite sure what you're going to end up with.

A bit like speed dating.

kaiser
1st February 2018, 14:10
I once spoke to the parts manager of MG here. He used to work for MG/Rover, but when the Chinese started to import the MG6, he went to them.
He claims they have not, at that stage, replaced a single head gasket on the Chinese made engines, and that the engines were very reliable.

I think all in all, that engine might well be better than the Rover unit, as many years of experience surely must have been applied, before they started production in China.

I would go for it, and I would also like to hear what you find out.

Maybe the 1.8 finally was sorted by these crafty and very industrious people.
It would not be the first time somebody else has taken a UK product and made it perfect. Sadly.