PDA

View Full Version : 75 CDTI flywheel

mmz
1st February 2018, 12:08
Have all 75 diesels had a dual mass flywheel as an original equipment from the factory? My car had a single mass fw and some local "expert" says that there has been both smf and dmf from the factory. Is there some link which tells the truth about this?

Mike Noc
1st February 2018, 12:25
As far as I know all of the manual M47R diesels left the factory with DMFs.

Can't see there being a link to anything official about it though - nothing else was fitted so no reason for anything to be published.

chris75
1st February 2018, 15:18
The Rave manual , clutch section , says " all manual gearbox vehicles are fitted with a dual-mass flywheel " :}

Mickyboy
1st February 2018, 19:45
Have all 75 diesels had a dual mass flywheel as an original equipment from the factory? My car had a single mass fw and some local "expert" says that there has been both smf and dmf from the factory. Is there some link which tells the truth about this?

Well that local expert is wrong, all manual 75/ZT diesels had dual mass flywheels fitted as standard, and I wouldnt recommend a solid conversion.
Mick

COLVERT
1st February 2018, 20:10
A solid flywheel could put excessive strain on the crankshaft and snap it.

Hence for the diesels it's dual mass only.----------:}-------It's a DAMPER.

DMGRS
5th February 2018, 13:55
All models of the 75 / ZT apart from the V8 came with a DMF.
Fitting an SMF is not recommended - there's been crankshaft failures reported over the years when this is done.

Thankfully the DMF in our cars is very reliable, rarely requiring replacement. DMFs have a very bad reputation, however we're all quite lucky!

mmz
8th February 2018, 13:54
I am at present in the middle of a consumer protection case against a garage and now I have to somehow prove that it is not at all normal to have a SMF in a Rover 75 CDTI. Where I can find some official text including the fact that there has always been a DMF in every CDTI?

The garage installed a new clutch a year ago and after 15000 km one of the driven plate springs broke and also the slave bearing was totally shot. There was a SMF installed which I think must have something to do with the spring failure at least. I also think that they should have noticed the SMF and told me about it.

chris75
8th February 2018, 16:36
Where I can find some official text including the fact that there has always been a DMF in every CDTI?

The Haynes manual states that all manual models have a DMF ,Clutch chapter 6 , page 2 , General information . So does the official Rave manual , but that costs a lot more. :}
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=rover+75+haynes+manual&_sop=12

mmz
8th February 2018, 16:43
Thanks. I'll refer to those books.