PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Auto box clunky

Rogue
1st February 2018, 15:49
Hi all... Just been out to look at a Mk1 tourer with a friend with a view to him purchasing. Apart from a few cosmetic blemishes all is good with it and a new Mot but the auto box is clunky changing between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd both changing up and down through the box. It doesn't do it everytime and all other changes in the box are fine. Would i be right in thinking it's almost certainly solenoid issues and easy to fix?
The dealer is happy to hold it until tomorrow so i thought i would ask the advice of those far more knowledgable than i before i advise my friend.

Nantwich 75
1st February 2018, 16:05
First thing to check is to ask if the gearbox fluid has been changed recently.

Rogue
1st February 2018, 16:09
First thing to check is to ask if the gearbox fluid has been changed recently.

As its from a dealer and a trade in he has no knowledge about recent servicing unfortunately. He has been completely open about all other minor issues i noticed though. Car has done 100k

LotusLC
1st February 2018, 16:21
Bought a car recently with the same problem. Got two solonoids changed along with the oil and now drives perfect. Easy to do when you watch someone else do it.

Rogue
1st February 2018, 16:33
Bought a car recently with the same problem. Got two solonoids changed along with the oil and now drives perfect. Easy to do when you watch someone else do it.

What were you charged if i may ask?