PDA

View Full Version : Starter motor zinging/not connecting frequently

goltho
1st February 2018, 22:54
I've looked through several old threads on this and find I'm not the first. I'm cringing at the thought that it's spinning due to missing teeth on the ring gear :eek: but opinions please as to the likely cause? Had the car four weeks now and it only started doing this in the last week, and it's becoming more frequent. Thanks.

Dougie.

slovcan
2nd February 2018, 01:01
I've looked through several old threads on this and find I'm not the first. I'm cringing at the thought that it's spinning due to missing teeth on the ring gear :eek: but opinions please as to the likely cause? Had the car four weeks now and it only started doing this in the last week, and it's becoming more frequent. Thanks.

Dougie.

I haven't got any Rover specific experience, but if the starter drive engages like every other one I've seen, it may well be dirt and crud. Take it out and see if a good clean-up around the gear and its shaft help things any. While it's out put power to it and watch the action before and after cleaning.

Cheers,
Glenn

rustymotor
2nd February 2018, 05:43
Hi Dougie, could need a repair kit found here (https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/m47r-td4-engine-parts/products/rover-75-mg-zt-cdti-starter-motor-repair-kit-contacts-and-plunger-nad101500)Doubt if it is ring gear. You could ask one of the traders for a used known good unit and then refurbish yours for spare. Check connections and earthing perhaps not enough power to throw it in and engage the ring. Good luck.
(https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/m47r-td4-engine-parts/products/rover-75-mg-zt-cdti-starter-motor-repair-kit-contacts-and-plunger-nad101500)

goltho
2nd February 2018, 08:32
Thanks gents. It does correlate with the recent cruddy weather (of which plenty lies in gritty puddles and verges on the country lanes around here). The car's on the ramp later this morning getting an oil change and the new undertray fitted so I'll see if my mate can whip the starter out so I can give it a good clean whilst it's there.

Dougie.

Mike Noc
2nd February 2018, 08:48
If it is zinging it won't be in need of a repair kit - that just replaces the solenoid contacts, and if they fail then you just get a single click and nothing else.

As mentioned, take it out, clean and inspect it. If it is OK then you should be able to check the ring gear with a mirror and torch and a socket on the crankshaft to turn it bit by bit.

roverbarmy
2nd February 2018, 17:49
This video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhdSq4WOaDM) may help with explanations.;)

rovertone
3rd February 2018, 15:18
I had a similar problem with a starter that occasionally didn't turn the engine but still turned with a screechy whine.
The bendix has a clutch arrangement which can fail intermittently I found the attached video similar to the one above which shows the repair. I sourced a replacement from this firm in Ireland.
Having repaired mine I never got to find out whether it solved the problem because I bought a second hand one to replace whilst I did the work and it's still on the car! I carry the original as a spare on my trips in Europe so hope it works OK
!https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=nippon+denso+starter+clutch+repair&&view=detail&mid=F3D12EF866B05028C704F3D12EF866B05028C704&&FORM=VDRVRV

planenut
6th February 2018, 10:01
For your Rover, better not take a step in haste unless you consult the user manual of your vehicle for the exact details of the missing parts. It could always turn troublesome if you do not consider this.
And if you do not possess the user manual of your vehicle, you could buy a copy of it at a place I'm spamming

Hmm, welcome to the forum "joebrowntech", wise words, and should the advice of the members here not prove fruitful? then worth pursuing. Cannot see any mention of "missing parts" in the original message though.

slovcan
6th February 2018, 23:39
Hmm, welcome to the forum "joebrowntech", wise words, and should the advice of the members here not prove fruitful? then worth pursuing. Cannot see any mention of "missing parts" in the original message though.

Hmmm, maybe something got lost in the translation (both ways). Maybe the "missing parts" was in reference to possible missing ring gear teeth.

goltho
6th February 2018, 23:54
Hmmm, maybe something got lost in the translation (both ways). Maybe the "missing parts" was in reference to possible missing ring gear teeth.

I think if you check this new guy out, you'll find he's spamming the forum and promoting manuals (from India). I've reported it twice but no-one's got back.

slovcan
7th February 2018, 00:05
I think if you check this new guy out, you'll find he's spamming the forum and promoting manuals (from India). I've reported it twice but no-one's got back.

I thought that, but didn't want to condemn the guy on his first post. If his second post includes a link to manuals, then yeah, shoot him :D .

Pete
7th February 2018, 20:49
He's been suspended for the moment.

COLVERT
7th February 2018, 21:15
I would guess at the one way clutch in the starter end gear.

Slips and grips due to wear on the rollers.

goltho
7th February 2018, 22:00
I would guess at the one way clutch in the starter end gear.

Slips and grips due to wear on the rollers.

You may be correct. It's been noticeably better in the milder & dryer weather but was freezing this evening and it did again.

genpk
7th February 2018, 22:08
Had a similar issue a while back.
Seem to recall it ended up being a battery that still tested 12 volt but didnt quite have enough amp storage, especially when cold.
Also check the small push on spade connection is tight and clean.
You can remove the starter, get a good battery and test it using jumper Leads.

COLVERT
8th February 2018, 19:27
Had a similar issue a while back.
Seem to recall it ended up being a battery that still tested 12 volt but didnt quite have enough amp storage, especially when cold.
Also check the small push on spade connection is tight and clean.
You can remove the starter, get a good battery and test it using jumper Leads.

However would either of these faults cause the noise the OP is getting ??