PDA

View Full Version : Headlining Adhesive?

Groundsman Willie
2nd February 2018, 16:58
The headlining material has started to come away from the windscreen pillar panel on my 75. It's kinda drooping up the side of the windscreen and quite frankly, doing my head in!. Once noticed, my eye keeps being drawn to it. The material seems very thin, and I think a normal contact adhesive would bleed through and stain the material. What adhesive should I use?
Cheers

roverbarmy
2nd February 2018, 17:53
Upholsterers spray contact glue (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAPID-SPRAY-GLUE-CARPET-UPHOLSTERY-FABRIC-SPRAY-ADHESIVE-GLUE-200ML/182300160368?epid=2254994115&hash=item2a71efb170:g:ctMAAOSwLF1X8QgG)
works well.;) You may have to take more off to spray the area (masking off where you don't need it).

Groundsman Willie
2nd February 2018, 18:03
Cheers, roverbarmy.
Wasn't sure whether the material is thick or dense enough to take contact adhesive without it staining through

roverbarmy
2nd February 2018, 18:28
Cheers, roverbarmy.
Wasn't sure whether the material is thick or dense enough to take contact adhesive without it staining through
Usually you have to allow it to almost dry, then affix. It's a one shot job though! Get it wrong and it will really annoy you! :D

Groundsman Willie
2nd February 2018, 19:11
Ah, right, see what you mean
Cheers

LeRich
2nd February 2018, 19:20
Sagging headlinings aren't a common problem on these cars - has something caused it to go?

My old ZS had a bit of headlining droop (common problem on the HHR). I think the previous owner had used spray glue to reattach - they didn't do the tidiest job but it did the trick!

Number 6
2nd February 2018, 19:44
Sagging headlinings aren't a common problem on these cars - has something caused it to go?

My old ZS had a bit of headlining droop (common problem on the HHR). I think the previous owner had used spray glue to reattach - they didn't do the tidiest job but it did the trick!
It is the A pillar covering that is coming away..;)

suzublu
2nd February 2018, 19:50
Just swap the A pillar cover I would have thought:shrug::cool:

LeRich
2nd February 2018, 19:50
It is the A pillar covering that is coming away..;)

So it is - I read it as headlining by the pillar!

If you can't repair the existing pillar trim then it's easy enough to replace with a good one.

Groundsman Willie
2nd February 2018, 20:09
Yeah, sorry, it's the A pillar trim that's the problem. I know the panel clips off easily enough, just thought it was easier to reglue the material back on, rather than buying another panel

chris75
3rd February 2018, 10:52
Just swap the A pillar cover I would have thought:shrug::cool:

Throw-away society !!!:eek::eek::eek:

:}

bartgib
12th August 2018, 20:12
I have the same problem with my Rover 75. Head and door panels are becoming unglued. I have put it down to being parked in the sun and the old glue drying out. Or it could be the humidity Gibraltar is both hot and 90% humidity at the moment.

Just a thought.

trikey
12th August 2018, 20:17
I have the same problem with my Rover 75. Head and door panels are becoming unglued. I have put it down to being parked in the sun and the old glue drying out. Or it could be the humidity Gibraltar is both hot and 90% humidity at the moment.

Just a thought.

Its the humidity that does it.

jonc3725
12th August 2018, 21:13

Headlining sagging is becoming a problem with these cars and quite a few members have had the issue. The fosm behind the material breaks down causing the material to sag.

2 options I have seen

1. Replace the headlining biscuit with a replacement/new
2. Get some material from woollies and lay up a new covering. Not sure what the colour matches are like?

Defo becoming a R75/ZT issue

operamagorum
13th August 2018, 13:22
I'm glad that you brought this up. The headlining on my tourer has started to go above both rear side windows in the luggage section.
I've spoken to my trimming guy and he says 'new headlining'. Much as I love my car I can't go to that sort of expense at the moment.
My worry is the same as OP - will it bleed through?
I've scoured google, flea bay and Amazon and can't find a product I believe in.
Anyone got anything that they can recommend?
Cheers

Geoff

Proud owner
13th August 2018, 18:23
I'm glad that you brought this up. The headlining on my tourer has started to go above both rear side windows in the luggage section.
I've spoken to my trimming guy and he says 'new headlining'. Much as I love my car I can't go to that sort of expense at the moment.
Cheers

Geoff

I've just bought this, haven't used it yet so can't vouch that its any good, but it sounds like its the right stuff:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trim-fix-Adhesive-High-Temperature-120-Spray-Glue-van-Car-Trims-carpet-headliner/253192773907?hash=item3af3772113:m:mbKKCXCnGAX2o4V KyCs6ClQ&var=552289080103

Steve1966
14th August 2018, 12:36
The fabric on the back of my passenger seat has now completely come adrift as the foam/glue behind the fabric has failed. The driver's side is just starting to peel. The car is 18 years old. It's a concern that this will become more common and difficult to remedy as the cars get older. I have tried to glue mine with fabric glue but the remnants of the old glue (which is impossible to remove) are preventing it (I assume) from sticking. The foam/glue is bright orange which in a sandstone car looks ridiculous. Plus the old glue is so sticky on the seat back (ironically) that no-one can sit in the back on that side anymore.

Steve.

JerseySteve
14th August 2018, 13:11
I have had this problem in the past with a Volvo 740 estate headlining and now have it on my Tourer and wife's SLK headlinings , both 2002 vintage. Took SLK around to classic car restorers and they said no point trying to re-glue back to the foam as its broken down due to the heat/age. They recommend removing headlining shell, taking old cloth off, scraping/brushing the remaining foam off of the shell, sealing shell with PVA and then using high temp resistant spray adhesive to stick on a new headlining. Just trying the theory out on the SLK as its easy with only 9 screws to take headlining out. The right material is very reasonable to buy on ebay but of course will likely not exactly match door cards etc. If all goes well I may bite the bullet and have a go at the Tourer but without a garage, and it being a much bigger job, I will not be attempting in the near future.

Groundsman Willie
15th August 2018, 01:05
Cheers

Geoff

Hi Geoff, in the end, I used some ordinary spray contact adhesive, Evo Stik, sprayed it on the shell of the pillar, making sure it didn't go on the fabric. Waited until it had almost dried completely and stretched the fabric onto it. No bleed through and it has stayed stuck

Jim Jamieson
15th August 2018, 08:25
I’ve replaced the headlining material on my SD1 Vitesse and more recently the roof trim and door cards on my 75.

It’s the foam on the material which degrades with age and under certain conditions like excess heat.

I had some difficulty in getting a perfect match on material for my 75 but finally found one, sorry I don’t have a note of the company at the moment.

After removing the headliner from the car it’s relatively easy to stick the new cloth on using the proper spray adhesive supplied from the same company.

You can use a cut off piece for practise first.