PDA

View Full Version : V6 belt condition check

roverbarmy
3rd February 2018, 14:14
The belts on the V6 that I bought were changed six years ago and have only done around 1500 miles in that time (car garaged). Is there an easy way to check the condition? I am more familiar with the 1.8 which can easily be seen by removing the top cover. :shrug:

sworks
3rd February 2018, 16:41
The top covers can be removed, they will look either very good or obviously very bad but anywhere in the middle is guess work. Many will say with the mileage it’s fine, in my opinion it’s miles or age so are due to be changed again

kaiser
5th February 2018, 03:59
1500 miles is nothing. If you have no leaks of oil or water, there will be life in them yet!

SD1too
5th February 2018, 08:49
The belts on the V6 that I bought were changed six years ago and have only done around 1500 miles in that time (car garaged). Is there an easy way to check the condition?
No, there isn't. You won't be able to remove the primary belt covers without tackling several screws which are in inaccessible positions.

Unless you are of a nervous disposition, or are inclined to obey orders without question, then your belts will function perfectly well for another 88,500 miles. :D

You will hear a lot of passionate denials of my position though, so the ultimate decision must be yours.

Simon

roverbarmy
5th February 2018, 08:57
The last two cambelts that I have replaced, had done low mileage but were way over their time. Both of them appeared perfect, with no signs of cracking or failure at all. I have, however had a cambelt failure on a low miles Ford 1.8 diesel which was two months over its change date!!! Hence my paranoia! :shrug:

kaiser
5th February 2018, 12:39
It appears as if the belts on the V6 live an easy life. I don't think this is an engine tough on belts.

The Rover 1.8T and the MGF are much more critical, but those belts are also much narrower if I remember correctly.

I would not have sleepless nights if the engine is not leaking fluids unto the belt.