PDA

View Full Version : Possible HGF

Brillebruder
4th February 2018, 11:43
Greetings all,

While coming home on the autobahn the other night, the temp gauge went from normal 9 o'clock to near 12, as luck would have it I was approaching my junction so had to slow down anyway. The second I took my foot off the peddle it dropped back down to the 9 and stayed there until I got home (about 6 mins).

On arriving home I kept the engine running while parked and checked the correct temp using the dashboard guide. it stayed at 94c - 96c while on idle.

The next morning I checked the coolant level and had to add a ltr. I then looked at the oil and found a large amount of mayo on the dip stick. I could not find any coolant leaks at all.

Is my HG due to fail or has it done so already?

Dawn
4th February 2018, 11:59
Sounds like my white one the first time it went. I didn't have mayo or significant coolant loss, but the temp started to spike like that, then go normal like yours. ��

Sheraton
4th February 2018, 13:27
I'd say it's likely that HGF HAS occurred - also I'd suspect the head will need skimmed as 12 o'clock on the temp gauge is likely to warp the head.

you have lost coolant with no sign of leaks - and there appears to be coolant mixed with the oil - this is the same type failure my car had = HGF

Paul.

dave lincs
4th February 2018, 13:38
sounds like you have got HGF but a simple job on the 1.8

Rick-sta
4th February 2018, 14:34
Yep I would say HGF unfortunately. Also, when your temp gauge went to red the engine would have been very hot for longer than you may think as the temp gauges on our cars are pretty useless, they go to red quite late.

Rick-sta
4th February 2018, 14:42
There's a couple reputable places close'ish to you that can help sort the HGF for you (if it is that).

Local to me in Wickford just over the crossing is MG Rover Repair Centre, Kevin there is very good. http://mgroverrepaircentre.co.uk/contacts.html

Bob (flyingbanana) on here has used MJS Auto and Marine for HGFs in the past and has always recommended them. They're further away based in Littlehampton. http://www.mjsautoandmarine.co.uk/

SD1too
4th February 2018, 20:24
... I'd suspect the head will need skimmed as 12 o'clock on the temp gauge is likely to warp the head.
David,

Only skim the head if you can prove that it has been damaged using a straight edge.

Simon

Brillebruder
5th February 2018, 15:13
Thanks all for the replies, yes I had assumed I was having HGF.

The problems I have however are..................

I am out of work at the moment and cannot afford to get it fixed.

I am in Germany with no easy access to anyone who would be able to help.

Fixing it myself may be the only option but (as I have stated before) I really have no clue on how to get this done.

Bogbrush82
5th February 2018, 16:00
Fixing it myself may be the only option but (as I have stated before) I really have no clue on how to get this done.

While I can't help you in regards to parts, I can provide you with an in depth guide.

https://awj99.wordpress.com/rover-k-series-the-ultimate-head-gasket-replacement/

It's for a Rover 45, but the routine is just the same.

Yorkshire GOC
5th February 2018, 17:13
Thanks all for the replies, yes I had assumed I was having HGF.

The problems I have however are..................

I am out of work at the moment and cannot afford to get it fixed.

I am in Germany with no easy access to anyone who would be able to help.

Full upgraded HG kit by DMGRS for a 1.8.:smilie_re:

https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/head-gasket-kits/products/ultimate-k-series-head-gasket-fix-n-series-gasket-high-tension-head-bolts-and-revised-oil-rail-equiv-to-zua000530

Brillebruder
5th February 2018, 17:28
Thanks, but still cannot afford to buy those parts or replacement oil, coolant, required tools etc etc.

I am at a total loss to be honest, as the work involved is way beyond my skill set. Plus I do not have a garage or cover while I work on the thing. It is quite cold over here at the moment, so waiting until the spring seems to be my only option, in terms of weather and possible cash coming in with a job.

Comfortably Numb
5th February 2018, 22:07
Do not be tempted to use Radweld or similar as a temporary, get -you- home fix. It will only cause problems further down the line. You may need to find a good local engineer who can skim the head. The rest is mainly time and care, and a good set of tools.

marinabrian
6th February 2018, 19:26
David,

Only skim the head if you can prove that it has been damaged using a straight edge.

Simon

I always skim a K series head, even if it a just a cleanup, as the fire rings do create marks on the joint face, even on an engine which has not been overheated.

More importantly make sure the valves still seal, especially the exhaust valves on cylinders 2 and 3.

Brian :D

Brillebruder
17th April 2018, 20:18
Right it is now warm enough over here in Germany for me to attempt to fix my motor. However after viewing a few youtube videos, looking at the guides provided and my workshop manual, I still have no clue as to what to do, I am not vehicle minded and some of the terms are just loosing me. Any idea, help or suggestions at all? (Please speak in plain English and try not to use "car" terms, thanks)

planenut
17th April 2018, 20:56
Right it is now warm enough over here in Germany for me to attempt to fix my motor. However after viewing a few youtube videos, looking at the guides provided and my workshop manual, I still have no clue as to what to do, I am not vehicle minded and some of the terms are just loosing me. Any idea, help or suggestions at all? (Please speak in plain English and try not to use "car" terms, thanks)

Private message sent - always read over the instructions and make a list of the moves you will make. Then practice in your mind several times before turning a spanner - Good luck.

planenut
18th April 2018, 07:06
David, apparently you're overloaded with PM's , so one cannot feel like a failure if you have not "been in there" before. It was four months before I braved having a go at a head gasket. Luckily, we have the forum; people who know, and people who have been there. If you are not sure, ask. There are always those with wise cracks, but more with wise knowledge.