PDA

View Full Version : Kv6 front timing belt.

Ticklemeelmo
4th February 2018, 16:55
Hi everyone. Am I doing something stupid. No matter what I do the front cam belt will not fit as it seems to too small. Is it me? It is well tensioner all round. Any help would be appreciated The Rover video shows the belt being really long and easy to fit. Help please.

Mgaz
4th February 2018, 18:12
Hi everyone. Am I doing something stupid. No matter what I do the front cam belt will not fit as it seems to too small. Is it me? It is well tensioner all round. Any help would be appreciated The Rover video shows the belt being really long and easy to fit. Help please.

Doesn't the kv6 have 3 belts?

Jim Jamieson
4th February 2018, 18:21
There’s an excellent topic on this forum my member beinet1

Do a search for cambelt replacement and it’s the third topic on the list.

SD1too
4th February 2018, 20:18
Hello Nigel and :welcome: to the club.
No matter what I do the front cam belt will not fit as it seems to too small.
Have you fitted the special service tools to the front camshafts and loosened the sprocket wheel fixing nuts so that they can be rotated?
It is well tensioner all round.
I don't understand this sentance. If the belt won't fit, how can it be tensioned? :shrug: Have you released the tensioner?

Simon

Ticklemeelmo
4th February 2018, 20:34
I have fitted the special tools to the front camshafts but have not loosened the pulley bolts. Would this give me the flex I need?
Tensioner is fully open and when I say tensioner I mean tight between the crank and 2 pulleys.

mh007
4th February 2018, 22:45
Yes, you need to undo the two front sprocket bolts with the special tools fitted. This will allow the sprockets to 'freewheel'.
Only slacken them enough so that the sprockets rotate without tipping/rocking though.
Technically, you are supposed to renew the sprocket bolts but this has to be up to you.
Personally, whenever I do a KV6 belt change, I renew them.
Are you changing the back belts, tensioner, idler & water pump too?

kaiser
5th February 2018, 03:43
The first thing is to make sure you have the correct belt.
I think you should get help, if you battle already!

beinet1
5th February 2018, 04:37
Hi,

It sounds like the tensioner roller is set up to tight. Loosen this one first, fit the belt and then set it up according to the procedure document found enclosed in post 24 in my project thread here: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=1889531&postcount=24

The adjustment and set up of this roller is not mentioned either in the you tube video or the Haynes manual, but this is an important part of the procedure. Failing to do so, might result in a failing timing belt as the adjustment bolt of the tensioner roller is only temporarily tightened to 10Nm from the factory.

DMGRS
5th February 2018, 12:04
How have you changed the pulley / tensioner if you haven't loosened the bolt?
This NEEDS to be changed at the same time!

https://image.ibb.co/hbXVyx/tens1.jpg (https://ibb.co/kT1OJx)

kaiser
5th February 2018, 12:35
Wow, a new bearing undoubtedly relying on magnetic levitation?;)
Or what?

Ticklemeelmo
5th February 2018, 12:43
Yep I have changed the 2 rear belts water pump and the idler pulley and the tensioner. Only trouble I am having is the front belt won't fit. Looking at the Rover video I might try undoing the tensioner and moving it out the way, fit the belt and then try and get the tensioner in the right position. Is there more than one size of front belt?

SD1too
5th February 2018, 13:40
Is there more than one size of front belt?
No.

Simon

kaiser
5th February 2018, 14:22
There is only one correct front belt, but that does not necessarily mean that is the one you have got.

Are the numbers the same, if you can still read them, and if not, have they got the same number of teeth?

Mike Noc
5th February 2018, 20:33
Try holding the new belt up against the old one - you'll soon see if they are the same length or not.

Ticklemeelmo
5th February 2018, 23:13
Done it! Fed it round with the tensioner removed. Was able to then install tensioner. Thanks for all you advice. Looking forward to driving it once I've put it all back together.