PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new rear arm fitted. Any recommendations?

Trisman
5th February 2018, 14:45
As it says, I need to replace the offside (drivers side) arm on my Diesel 75. (2000 on a 'W').

One of these:

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/222736420575_/New-Genuine-Rover-75-Mg-Zt-Ns-Near.jpg

I've got a replacement arm, but have come to the conclusion that crawling around under a car, (without a hoist), plus the possibility of a seized bolt means it is a job too far for me!

So, does anyone have any recommendations for someone, a garage and/or member who does this work?
There's no-one local to me & the possible issues I mentioned mean someone experienced at doing this would be preferable!

I am based in S.E. London now, but would travel.

FWIW., I could also do with the front wishbones & bushes doing & a remap if anyone is interested!!

Rev Jules
5th February 2018, 15:04
As it says, I need to replace the offside (drivers side) arm on my Diesel 75. (2000 on a 'W').

One of these:

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/222736420575_/New-Genuine-Rover-75-Mg-Zt-Ns-Near.jpg

I've got a replacement arm, but have come to the conclusion that crawling around under a car, (without a hoist), plus the possibility of a seized bolt means it is a job too far for me!

So, does anyone have any recommendations for someone who'd do this?

I am based in S.E. London now, but would travel.

FWIW., I could also do with the front wishbones & bushes doing & a remap if anyone is interested!!

Cant help with your question, what I would recommend is you should change both of them, you can almost bet your last dollar the other side is going to need changing as well.

Rev

Trisman
5th February 2018, 15:13
I would recommend is you should change both of them, you can almost bet your last dollar the other side is going to need changing as well.
Rev

Good point! I did wonder about that...

FWIW., The nearside arm is in considerably better condition than the offside one, it even has some paint on it! But agreed, it is almost 18 years old by now.

The offside arm has a small hole & is also pretty rusted...

In the end, it'll depend on cost. The Rover is, in effect, a spare car, though it gives far less trouble & I just 'like' it more than the other chariots I seem to drive around in...

(There's probably a lesson there!).

Steady Eddy
5th February 2018, 18:35
Hi you may find that the spring is also broken at the bottom, not easy to spot until you dismantle suspension, mine was fractured when I had my arms replaced, quite common apparently.

macafee2
5th February 2018, 19:41
I'm no professional and if you are willing to get involved I'm willing to help with rear arms....do most of it. Never tried the front wishbone
Prefer to work at my place as I have tools to hand. New Forest.

When I did the job I did have a seized bolt and snapped spring. We could try undoing bolts, if seized move to plan B

pm me if interested

macafee2

Trisman
6th February 2018, 01:13
Hi you may find that the spring is also broken at the bottom, not easy to spot until you dismantle suspension, mine was fractured when I had my arms replaced, quite common apparently.

Hope not! Both rear springs were replaced about 4 years ago.

I'm no professional and if you are willing to get involved I'm willing to help with rear arms....do most of it. Never tried the front wishbone
Prefer to work at my place as I have tools to hand. New Forest.

When I did the job I did have a seized bolt and snapped spring. We could try undoing bolts, if seized move to plan B

pm me if interested

macafee2

That's a very kind & generous offer, thanks! :}

What's Plan B, dare I ask!?

PM'ed. (Ideally, would want to hand off to a garage, but a great back-up plan!).

macafee2
6th February 2018, 18:31
Hope not! Both rear springs were replaced about 4 years ago.

That's a very kind & generous offer, thanks! :}

What's Plan B, dare I ask!?

PM'ed. (Ideally, would want to hand off to a garage, but a great back-up plan!).

not got your IM, plan B, no idea...depends on what problems we find :)

I had to remove one of my trailing arms and have the old bush pushed out and a new one pushed in. I have a contact for this so hopefully would not be a problem but time will be the issue. Tracking then was checked.
If captive nut in the centre of car comes free... no idea what to do as I think its a sub frame removal and so we would need to turn to the forum for help.
any problems we find a garage will find. Differences, they are geared up to deal and they will charge money for their time.. all I'd want is a packet (or 2 :}) of Maryland chocolate chip cookies

macafee2