PDA

View Full Version : Track Rod end replacement

pugcrew
7th February 2018, 17:14
I need to replace one of my track rod ends. I've had a look through various threads on here but can't seem to find a simple how to on this.

I'm sure there is something here already so can someone kindly point me to the right place?

David Lawrence
7th February 2018, 17:22
I need to replace one of my track rod ends. I've had a look through various threads on here but can't seem to find a simple how to on this.

I'm sure there is something here already so can someone kindly point me to the right place?

It fairly straight forward if you have a joint separator, the fork type with a bolt to screw down on the opposing scissor until it presses down the ball joint stud and cracks it free.

After that it is simply a case of one spanner on the flats of the track rod, another on the adjusting nut, and free it off from the tie rod. Screw a new one on to roughtly the same position, tighten the bolt on the ball joint stud to the required torque, then head off to the nearest steering alignment centre for a final adjustment.

pugcrew
8th February 2018, 17:33
David,

Thanks for the response.

I've found some YouTube video's for track rod end replacements. Not for our cars but it all looks very similar. Main issue may be corrosion preventing the nuts being loosened.

I've order the part so will have a go next week if the weather is not too cold!