PDA

View Full Version : Odd headlight issue

bikerdude666
8th February 2018, 06:40
Hi all,

I recently had an issue where the drivers side dipped beam would work sometimes and not others. It was an HID light that had been fitted for at least 5 years, sometimes turning the lights off and back on a few times made it come on. And once it had initially come on, it'd stay on for the rest of that journey.

I got fed up of it, and was told it could be a dodgy ballast unit, so I ordered a new set and fitted them a few weeks back (about 3 days before they announced the intended MoT changes), and all was well. That is until the start of this week, left for work Sunday night and had the same issue, drivers side headlight wasn't working. I tried turning it off an on again at least 20 times, including stopping in a layby, turning off the lights, and then ignition, then restarting the car and turning the lights on again, but it just wouldn't work.
I came out to go home at 6am Mon and both lights worked right away, and stayed on all the way home. Worked ok Mon night and Tues morning, wouldn't work Tues night, or Weds morning, worked ok Weds afternoon, about 3pm, but Weds night and Thurs morning, not working again.

Now what are the chances that the new ballast has gone dodgy within a few weeks, and just happens to be on the same side? Or is this more likely to be a wiring problem to that headlight? Also, could the ballast be affected by the cold? They've been mounted in different locations each side, and the only pattern I can see seems to be not working when it's below about 2 degrees.

Any suggestions of where to start looking would be great, thanks.

COLVERT
8th February 2018, 19:24
As it was the same headlight that gave trouble it could be a part not near the light.

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be pins in the light switch module where damp air had caused some slight corrosion.

I unscrewed the switch module and pulled it forward so I could disconnect the plug. I sprayed switch and plug with some WD 40 and pushed the plug in and out a few times.

That was several years ago and I've had no problems since.---:}

bikerdude666
9th February 2018, 05:47
As it was the same headlight that gave trouble it could be a part not near the light.

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be pins in the light switch module where damp air had caused some slight corrosion.

I unscrewed the switch module and pulled it forward so I could disconnect the plug. I sprayed switch and plug with some WD 40 and pushed the plug in and out a few times.

That was several years ago and I've had no problems since.---:}

I assume that's the switch to turn the lights on? Does the surrounding trim just pull off, and then it's easy to remove the switch? Thanks.

klarzy
9th February 2018, 07:13
Also check for frayed headlight wiring as it crosses the front member....

bikerdude666
9th February 2018, 12:03
Also check for frayed headlight wiring as it crosses the front member....

Is that easy to spot or are there bits you have to remove to find it?

klarzy
9th February 2018, 14:42
Is that easy to spot or are there bits you have to remove to find it?

Just follow the wire back from the light about 6 inches and check for rust or fraying...

COLVERT
9th February 2018, 17:16
I assume that's the switch to turn the lights on? Does the surrounding trim just pull off, and then it's easy to remove the switch? Thanks.

The switch unit is quite quick and easy to remove. There is a How-To on the forum.

T-Cut
9th February 2018, 17:45
Is that easy to spot

I'm saving a thousand words here - -

https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/cbcc/9m3ucht7aww0he36g.jpg

https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/c1fe/1bwuk0igo872o156g.jpg

TC

bikerdude666
9th February 2018, 20:51
Thanks, I didn't get a chance to look today but I'll make sure I investigate tomorrow.

bikerdude666
10th February 2018, 20:31
Well I had a look for any damaged wiring today, and I couldn't see anything broken. I'd got some H7 halogens so put once of those in and it worked fine, so I guess it's an issue with the HID. I'll try and have another look tomorrow when I've got more time, and either figure out whats wrong, or just take the HID's off and put the halogens in.