PDA

View Full Version : V6 2000 exhaust rear box?

roverbarmy
8th February 2018, 19:20
My V6 2000 has the original exhaust and needs a new rear box. Most I have seen join under the boot but the original does not have a join there. Any suggestions? Cut OEM pipe and use a clamped joint???:shrug:

SideValve
8th February 2018, 19:40
That's what I did with mine. The new silencer has an enlarged section to fit over the old pipe. I used a jubilee clip because it was all I had to hand which is fine but I'll fit a proper clamp soon.
Just measure twice before cutting :¬)

I bought one of these (https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/c/Rover_75_2.0_2000/p/car-parts/exhausts/car-body-parts-and-car-exhaust/exhaust-parts/?705751311)
Looks same as the original - not like the picture

Lord of Hog
9th February 2018, 06:43
Not all non-factory rear boxes have a flared pipe to fit over the existing one, as I've discovered from several changes in search of one that doesn't boom ridiculously at lower revs. Check what yours looks like, otherwise be prepared to get hold of a sleeve (available from Rimmers among others). If you you go for the latter option then you may have to cut a little off the pipe to ensure the two pieces join at the correct angle. Otherwise you end up with a system a shade longer than was intended. This makes it hang a little lower than intended and you end up with that really irritating knock against the centre cross member.

hrissim
9th February 2018, 15:49

I bought one of these (https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/c/Rover_75_2.0_2000/p/car-parts/exhausts/car-body-parts-and-car-exhaust/exhaust-parts/?705751311)
Looks same as the original - not like the pictureAre these a bit louder than the original ones?
It is better I think /and it worth/ to buy second hand one genuine than these. In my country replacement ones are sh*t - louder and last 2-3 years :mad:

SideValve
9th February 2018, 18:30
I'm very happy with mine. It was a good price, delivered very quickly, didn't take long to fit (hoiking the old one off the rubbers was the hardest thing) and I reckon it sounds as good as new. Hard to tell exactly because the old one had been deteriorating for a long time and had got quite loud but certainly no boom. I think that its a pressing rather than rolled sheet makes the difference.
Since fitting it I've spent a few journeys without the radio on just to enjoy the silence :¬)