PDA

View Full Version : Rear screen clips question

hogweed
9th February 2018, 08:42
The moisture level in my boot has finally got to the point where I’m going to have to address it properly (kept it at bay with Creeping Crack Cure for years, but no longer working). Pretty sure it’s leaking from one of the lower n/s clips, as that’s the area the water’s dripping from, but I want to seal all of them as per Rich’s excellent guide.

However, there’s just one thing I don’t get – when you trim the tops of the little pins, and pull them out, can the clips then be removed? If so, you see, I want to replace them – but if not, I’ll just clean, seal, and re-use the ones I have.

I did post a question on the original thread, but I guess anybody who’s actually done it stopped looking at it ages ago.

solarsailor
9th February 2018, 09:14
The moisture level in my boot has finally got to the point where I’m going to have to address it properly (kept it at bay with Creeping Crack Cure for years, but no longer working). Pretty sure it’s leaking from one of the lower n/s clips, as that’s the area the water’s dripping from, but I want to seal all of them as per Rich’s excellent guide.

However, there’s just one thing I don’t get – when you trim the tops of the little pins, and pull them out, can the clips then be removed? If so, you see, I want to replace them – but if not, I’ll just clean, seal, and re-use the ones I have.

I did post a question on the original thread, but I guess anybody who’s actually done it stopped looking at it ages ago.

I too have water getting into the boot, partly from the air vent but also from the rear screen. Could you post the link to Rich's guide for me please as I'm having trouble finding it.

Thanks in advance.

hogweed
9th February 2018, 14:27
I too have water getting into the boot, partly from the air vent but also from the rear screen. Could you post the link to Rich's guide for me please as I'm having trouble finding it.

Thanks in advance.

There you go (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=101513) - let me know how you get on!

solarsailor
9th February 2018, 23:18
There you go (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=101513) - let me know how you get on!

I will, although I shall be waiting until the weather gets warmer and there's the (remote) possibility of a couple of dry days in a row.

neilbaker86
10th February 2018, 00:12
The clips wont come out, well not in one piece, as they are used to locate the rear screen and are held under it.

Why they ever thought a small piece of foam gasket would work I don't know. I ended up cutting out the rear screen, replacing the clips and sealing with the same polyurethane sealant as used to resecure the rear screen. A big job but well worth it. You would probably be best off getting a local windscreen fitter in to do it for you though as it takes a fair amount of tools and skill.

Simply going around the clips with sealant may work, but I had to repair the heated window terminal on mine anyway so it made sense just to take it out.

hogweed
10th February 2018, 07:30
The clips wont come out, well not in one piece, as they are used to locate the rear screen and are held under it.

Yeah I know that, but what I wasn’t clear about was whether they’ll come out after you’ve pulled the pins out? Or are the pins captive, and don’t come out completely?

Rich seems to suggest in his original guide that they can be taken out – “Ideally they need the screen out to replace them, but I can replace them without removing the screen also.”

I like to be able to plan and visualise what I’m going to do before I start dismantling – I’ve left myself without a usable car too many times in the past. OK, I know that isn't going to happen in this case, but even so…

neilbaker86
10th February 2018, 17:51
Yeah I know that, but what I wasn’t clear about was whether they’ll come out after you’ve pulled the pins out? Or are the pins captive, and don’t come out completely?

Rich seems to suggest in his original guide that they can be taken out – “Ideally they need the screen out to replace them, but I can replace them without removing the screen also.”

I like to be able to plan and visualise what I’m going to do before I start dismantling – I’ve left myself without a usable car too many times in the past. OK, I know that isn't going to happen in this case, but even so…

You can trim a small bit off the pin and pull that out, but the clip still wont come out in one piece, they are under the bottom edge of the screen. You'd have to cut the clip too but you risk scratching the paint on the body and promoting rust in the future in what is a very damp spot of the car.

I found most of the clips on mine were broken, they are just a square peg which opens up when the pin gets pushed in. But after I lifted the screen clear they were nearly all broken leaving the square bit in the hole when the clip was lifted off.

Try some sealant, if it still leaks, go down the windscreen fitter route, they should be able to get it out and refit it without too many problems. And obviously replace all the clips and put a bit of sealant under each of them when pushing them in.

neilbaker86
10th February 2018, 18:08
https://vgy.me/LLYqPH.jpg
https://vgy.me/lgidcK.jpg

There you go, you can see the square holes in the body.

I painted over the exposed area under the polyurethane that got cut through with the correct epoxy paint, then trimmed down the old polyurethane on both the body and glass surfaces to 1mm, applied the primer, new polyurethane sealant on to the body in the required bead dimensions, starting and finishing in the middle at the bottom, and lifted the screen back in to place. Then left it to cure.

Always make sure a window is left open slightly else the air pressure of closing a door can push the rear screen out again whilst it's going off.

But if you do go down this route, I'd really just get someone in to do it. :}

hogweed
10th February 2018, 21:05
But if you do go down this route, I'd really just get someone in to do it. :}

Yeah might come to that. I'll give sealing the clips a go, & resort to that fi I fail :shrug:

Simon W
28th February 2018, 10:20

I painted over the exposed area under the polyurethane that got cut through with the correct epoxy paint, then trimmed down the old polyurethane on both the body and glass surfaces to 1mm, applied the primer, new polyurethane sealant on to the body in the required bead dimensions, starting and finishing in the middle at the bottom, and lifted the screen back in to place. Then left it to cure.

Neil - after you'd got the screen back in, did you run a bead of clear sealant all the way round the edge of it?

(To give an extra seal between the body and the edge of the glass.)

kitt
28th February 2018, 12:49
What I did to get a dry boot was:-

So I sealed the underside of the 8 bottom screen clips from inside the boot (2 are not very easy to get to grrr )

So I sealed around the air extractor vents on both sides

So I sealed the boot hinges and looked for any small panel gaps and sealed them

pull all the boot carpet and trim out, seal push in clips of the side body trim, remove the 2 nuts and plastic washer dab of silicone behind the washer and back on with the nuts, do both sides

And keep on with the Captain Crack on the outside of the 8 clips to fill any gaps missed from the inside.

Now one dry boot :}

hogweed
28th February 2018, 15:34
So I sealed the underside of the 8 bottom screen clips from inside the boot (2 are not very easy to get to grrr )

Thanks for that… what is actually underneath? My eyes are shayte… I thought the little pins that you push down through the clips just made the clips kind of expand and grip the hole… is there more to it than that?

Simon W
28th February 2018, 16:28
… what is actually underneath? … I thought the little pins that you push down through the clips just made the clips kind of expand and grip the hole… is there more to it than that?

No, there's no more to it than that.

The little pins are 1" long and are tapered (like a dart) but with a tiny flat blob on the end. They hold the two sides of the square 'spring' open, thereby stopping the whole clip from lifting back out of the hole.

This is a scan of a pin. Note the rubber sealing washer.

Hth.
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/thum_605a96e58270b89.jpg (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=24799)

roverbarmy
28th February 2018, 16:37
Aswell as sealing the clips, I ran a horse shoe/ crescent shape of sealant above each clip. This diverts the water around the clips into the boot drain channel around the edges.;) Belt and braces.

neilbaker86
28th February 2018, 17:47
Neil - after you'd got the screen back in, did you run a bead of clear sealant all the way round the edge of it?

(To give an extra seal between the body and the edge of the glass.)

No, as the polyurethane holding the screen in will do that anyway.

marinabrian
28th February 2018, 20:50
I removed the trim, then carefully drilled the heads off the pins, and pushed the pins down through the clip.

After doing that, I heated up a stanley knife blade with a blowtorch and cut through the square tangs of the clips to remove them without removing the screen, a junior hacksaw blade could be used to saw through them as an alternative.

I then carefully made good any minor scratching to the paintwork, and covered the square holes with self adhesive aluminium tape, followed by painting.

The new clips had the square part sawn off, then keyed with 80 grit production paper, following this each were glued into position over the original clip site with quick curing Araldite Rapid.

The result a bone dry boot, what I cannot understand is why on earth Rover didn't employ the same method of attaching the trip clips as the ones on the side and top of the window aperture......one of the many design flaws leading these cars to leak like a sieve :getmecoat:

Brian :D

hogweed
28th February 2018, 21:12
No, there's no more to it than that.

The little pins are 1" long and are tapered (like a dart) but with a tiny flat blob on the end. They hold the two sides of the square 'spring' open, thereby stopping the whole clip from lifting back out of the hole.

This is a scan of a pin. Note the rubber sealing washer.

Hth.

Thanks, yes it does help :}

The result a bone dry boot, what I cannot understand is why on earth Rover didn't employ the same method of attaching the trip clips as the ones on the side and top of the window aperture......one of the many design flaws leading these cars to leak like a sieve

I’m going to read that again and again Brian, and possibly understand it some day :bowdown:

Main problem is I’m trying to visualise something – always clicks into place when I can actually look at the real thing…

Then give it a go when (if) the weather improves – though it seems, for a change, you English types are getting the worst of it – normally this is the coldest place in the universe, about -270 Kelvin :eek:

marinabrian
28th February 2018, 21:30
Thanks, yes it does help :}

I’m going to read that again and again Brian, and possibly understand it some day :bowdown:

Main problem is I’m trying to visualise something – always clicks into place when I can actually look at the real thing…

Then give it a go when (if) the weather improves – though it seems, for a change, you English types are getting the worst of it – normally this is the coldest place in the universe, about -270 Kelvin :eek:

You won't have any issues with leaks at -540 degrees Centigrade, though I may have to wear a coat at that temperature.

Must be getting old :eek:

hogweed
28th February 2018, 21:52
You won't have any issues with leaks at -540 degrees Centigrade, though I may have to wear a coat at that temperature.

Must be getting old :eek:

I’m sure you've seen that joke (couldn’t find it) about a descending temperature scale, which ends with something like:

-250C – Hell freezes over
-273C – Irishman/Geordie wears a long-sleeved shirt

And of course I meant -273C – I’ve always been confused since they brought this funny French temperature system in when I was at school… :duh:

Simon W
1st March 2018, 10:52
No, as the polyurethane holding the screen in will do that anyway.

Presumably the polyurethane is the black strip in your 2nd pic (post 8) - is that what the factory used to seal & hold the screen in?

slovcan
1st March 2018, 15:34
Presumably the polyurethane is the black strip in your 2nd pic (post 8) - is that what the factory used to seal & hold the screen in?

What picture? The only picture I see in this entire thread is your scan of the actual pin.

I love this forum, but the picture thing here seems to be fatally flawed. I get that the mods would like active participants to pay for a membership and I will. I'd just rather wait until I have bought the car. I am a member of many other forums - maybe 10 or a dozen - and none of them have restrictions on pictures.

Sorry I vented in reply to your post, Simon. If the mods want to move my comment, they can.

Cheers,
Glenn

Simon W
1st March 2018, 15:39
What picture? The only picture I see in this entire thread is your scan of the actual pin. ....

This picture!

Like I said - pic 2 post 8.

Use the post numbers.

:duh:

hogweed
1st March 2018, 15:42
What picture? The only picture I see in this entire thread is your scan of the actual pin.

The post is full of pictures! Do you have a browser problem?

Simon W
1st March 2018, 15:46
..... the picture thing here seems to be fatally flawed. I get that the mods would like active participants to pay for a membership and I will. I'd just rather wait until I have bought the car. I am a member of many other forums - maybe 10 or a dozen - and none of them have restrictions on pictures.

There's nothing wrong with the image system here - I can see all the pictures in this thread without even logging in.

Simon W
1st March 2018, 15:47
There's nothing wrong with the image system here - I can see all the pictures in this thread without even logging in.

That's with IE11, Chrome and Firefox.

Simon W
1st March 2018, 16:07
.... Do you have a browser problem?

Clearing the browser cache might sort it.

slovcan
1st March 2018, 16:38
This picture!

Like I said - pic 2 post 8.

Use the post numbers.

:duh:

Post 8 - https://photos.app.goo.gl/ByqAOUZxhpLv0CHZ2

Post 22 - https://photos.app.goo.gl/aIuJjKztMLwHte8q2

I'm using Chrome Version 64.0.3282.186 (Official Build) (64-bit) and it is up to date. I'll see what I can do about clearing the cache.

Thanks

Edit: OK, I cleared the cache - still no pics in this thread (well, except the one of the pin). I clicked the link in Post 3 and the thread from that link is full of pictures. Nothing in Post 8 at that thread, though.

Simon W
1st March 2018, 17:30
Hmm, very strange. I'm using exactly the same version of Chrome and it's showing all pics in this thread (and all the other threads), whether I'm logged in or not.

To narrow down the cause, I'd try these things next:

Log out of this site then check this thread again.
Delete every single cookie in Chrome (in all locations on the Windows drive) then reboot.
Visit the home page of this site, log out and close Chrome. Then re-open Chrome and re-check this thread without logging in.
Check this thread with another browser - Firefox, IE11, etc.
Check this thread on another PC or laptop (or a Mac).

slovcan
1st March 2018, 19:07
Hmm, very strange. I'm using exactly the same version of Chrome and it's showing all pics in this thread (and all the other threads), whether I'm logged in or not.

To narrow down the cause, I'd try these things next:

Delete every single cookie in Chrome (in all locations on the Windows drive) then reboot.
Visit the home page of this site, log out and close Chrome. Then re-open Chrome and re-check this thread without logging in.

OK, here are the results:

----No change

----No change

----No change

----RESULT - Everything works fine with IE11

----No need now as it is a Chrome problem. Maybe related to my security extensions.

Funny thing, my daily update notifications for Windows Defender stopped a couple of weeks ago, too. I don't know if this picture thing happened then, too, though.

Thanks Simon,
Glenn

hogweed
1st March 2018, 19:49
Chrome's a funny one - I won't use it.

Firefox for ever :D:D:D

hogweed
3rd March 2018, 17:11
Right, had a chance to sit down and read this properly Brian – thanks as always…

I removed the trim
Now here’s the first thing. I’ve semi-tackled this issue more than once in the past, by lifting the trim and squirting Captain Tolley’s in. I found this part of Rich’s original thread a little difficult to grasp, ie lifting the chrome strip and rubber strip separately. I found, by levering carefully under the rubber, both chrome and rubber came up together – does that mean something’s broken, or am I just really clever?

I was thinking, if I do tackle this, I might be able to lift the entire assembly sufficiently to get at the clips without separating the chrome strip, and risking bending it…?

After doing that, I heated up a stanley knife blade with a blowtorch and cut through the square tangs of the clips to remove them without removing the screen, a junior hacksaw blade could be used to saw through them as an alternative.

Right… trouble is, again, I haven't ever seen a clip in its entirety. Do I read you & Simon W right that there’s a square protrusion on the bottom of the clip which fits into a square hole in the car bodywork? And possibly split, so that it expands and grips the hole when the pin is pushed through?

The result a bone dry boot, what I cannot understand is why on earth Rover didn't employ the same method of attaching the trip clips as the ones on the side and top of the window aperture......one of the many design flaws leading these cars to leak like a sieve

So how are the upper ones attached then…?

hogweed
3rd March 2018, 18:36
I'm right, aren't I... what a stupid system :duh:

neilbaker86
3rd March 2018, 22:18
Right, had a chance to sit down and read this properly Brian – thanks as always…

Now here’s the first thing. I’ve semi-tackled this issue more than once in the past, by lifting the trim and squirting Captain Tolley’s in. I found this part of Rich’s original thread a little difficult to grasp, ie lifting the chrome strip and rubber strip separately. I found, by levering carefully under the rubber, both chrome and rubber came up together – does that mean something’s broken, or am I just really clever?

I was thinking, if I do tackle this, I might be able to lift the entire assembly sufficiently to get at the clips without separating the chrome strip, and risking bending it…?

Right… trouble is, again, I haven't ever seen a clip in its entirety. Do I read you & Simon W right that there’s a square protrusion on the bottom of the clip which fits into a square hole in the car bodywork? And possibly split, so that it expands and grips the hole when the pin is pushed through?

So how are the upper ones attached then…?

Yes, it's a square peg through a square hole in the body work, and the central round pin opens the square peg up inside when pressed in.

The other clips slide on to a small metal peg which sticks out and is spot welded to the body (no holes, cannot leak).

The outer rubber/chrome trim can be unclipped and lifts off in one piece, it is actually two pieces split down the middle of the car held together with a couple of metal plates which slide in to both halfs.

The finisher is purely decorative, all the sealing is done by the polyurethane adhesive which also holds the screen in.

Just done a very rough cross-sectional drawing which hopefully shows the problem:
https://vgy.me/L3QArY.jpg

You basically need sealant under the clip, and the round central pins needs to be smothered in it when inserted. The clips sit under the bottom edge of the screen, they are there to secure the chrome/rubber finisher, and stop the glass sliding down the body when it is bonded in to place originally whilst the adhesive goes off.

hogweed
3rd March 2018, 22:32
The other clips slide on to a small metal peg which sticks out and is spot welded to the body (no holes, cannot leak).

Thanks, that clears that up. I hate mysteries :bowdown:

it is actually two pieces split down the middle of the car held together with a couple of metal plates which slide in to both halfs.

The finisher is purely decorative, all the sealing is done by the polyurethane sealant which also holds the screen in.

Yeah that I did know :D

Cheers

neilbaker86
3rd March 2018, 22:43
Thanks, that clears that up. I hate mysteries :bowdown:

Yeah that I did know :D

Cheers
https://vgy.me/zGEOSf.jpg

https://vgy.me/oicDob.jpg

There you go. First photo shows the ones on the side, the head of the spot-welded body-coloured metal pin can be seen. The last photo shows the ones on the side, and also the leaky type which run along the bottom of the glass. Circular head of the central plastic pin which goes all the way through the clip can be seen. The other black bit on the right is just some insulation tape I put the over the hole to stop it leaking on a temporary basis when I was working on it.

Finally, to remove the chrome/rubber finisher, once you get one corner started, you can put your head under it and insert a small flat bladed screwdriver in to the clips, twist it and the clips open up one by one to release the finisher. Bit of a faff, but saves breaking them or bending the finisher.

hogweed
3rd March 2018, 23:46
Finally, to remove the chrome/rubber finisher, once you get one corner started, you can put your head under it and insert a small flat bladed screwdriver in to the clips, twist it and the clips open up one by one to release the finisher. Bit of a faff, but saves breaking them or bending the finisher.

Funny, all I did was kind of dig my fingernails under the rubber, next to the glass, and pull… fingers spread as wide as possible, both hands, to spread the load and not bend he finisher, and it just gradually came away. Seemed to go back on to the clips afterwards too!

But I’ve never had it right off, like up the sides etc – just along he bottom, and a little way past the corners. Unfortunately I’m going to have to wait another 3 months for Spring to hit N Ireland before having a proper go at it this time…

hogweed
23rd March 2018, 14:58
Well, after all that… spent ½ a day meticulously cleaning and sealing the clips, let it try, hose out… WOO-HOO, dry boot.

Then it rained today, and it's as wet as ever (left hand side, under the corner clip). Struggling to believe it, I put my finger up through the hole, under the leaky clip, and… bone dry.

Pulled the carpet back at the left hand side, and it’s running through the ventilator thingy. I never considered this before, as in the past, it’s clearly been pouring through the clip.

There’s nothing worse than having two simultaneous causes of the same problem… can somebody point me at the thread for fixing THIS leak please?

Simon W
23rd March 2018, 17:54
½ a day meticulously cleaning and sealing the clips, let it try, hose out… WOO-HOO, dry boot.

Then it rained today, and it's as wet as ever (left hand side, under the corner clip). Struggling to believe it, I put my finger up through the hole, under the leaky clip, and… bone dry.

Pulled the carpet back at the left hand side, and it’s running through the ventilator thingy. I never considered this before, as in the past, it’s clearly been pouring through the clip.

There’s nothing worse than having two simultaneous causes of the same problem…

Mine is the same, except I get a puddle of water collecting on the driver's side just aft of the wheel arch. It appears out of nowhere - i.e. there's no sign of it having run down anything and the ventilator thingy is always bone dry. It's almost as if the boot lid didn't exist and the water just landed straight from the sky.

By the way, you were right about the clip pin (post 31 & below) but you've discovered that already. Sorry for not answering earlier - I've only just seen it (post 31).

Right, trouble is, again, I haven't ever seen a clip in its entirety. Do I read you & Simon W right that there's a square protrusion on the bottom of the clip which fits into a square hole in the car bodywork? And possibly split, so that it expands and grips the hole when the pin is pushed through?

hogweed
23rd March 2018, 18:13
It's almost as if the boot lid didn't exist and the water just landed straight from the sky.

That’s our Rovers all right… my ventilator is wet, though, no question that’s where it's coming from now. Your best plan is to get in your boot with a torch, and get somebody who doesn't like you (eg wife) to spray the rear screen and boot lid with a hose… that should show you where it’s coming from :D

By the way, you were right about the clip pin (post 31 & below) but you've discovered that already. Sorry for not answering earlier - I've only just seen it (post 31).
No probs mate, unlike me you probably have a life…

hogweed
23rd March 2018, 22:02
HAH! Found it. In case anybody else is interested:

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=22887

Simon W
25th March 2018, 10:21
That’s our Rovers all right… my ventilator is wet, though, no question that’s where it's coming from now. Your best plan is to get in your boot with a torch, and get somebody who doesn't like you (eg wife) to spray the rear screen and boot lid with a hose… that should show you where it’s coming from :D
No such assistant available I'm afraid :( - I might have to rig up a remote hose system!

No probs mate, unlike me you probably have a life… Errr.....

Simon W
25th March 2018, 10:26
HAH! Found it. In case anybody else is interested:

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=22887

Are you sure it's the ventilator and not the chrome waist trim above it?
The trim is renowned for leaking into the boot (through the fixing holes).

hogweed
25th March 2018, 10:46
No such assistant available I'm afraid - I might have to rig up a remote hose system!

Be sure to post it on YouTube. I don’t get many laughs nowadays… seriously though folks, I have to do everything on my own too… if it’s coming through the clips, run the hose over the screen for a minute or two, then put your finger up through all the holes underneath them from inside the boot (no need to get in for this bit :p: ), and you should find some drops underneath the offending clip(s)…

Errr.....

Ah. OK, sorry to hear you're in my club too :(

Are you sure it's the ventilator and not the chrome waist trim above it? The trim is renowned for leaking into the boot (through the fixing holes).

Wellll… it appeared to be running through the ventilator thingy.
Is there a thread for his to fix the trim problem too?

Simon W
25th March 2018, 11:09
… if it’s coming through the clips, run the hose over the screen for a mute or two, then put your finger up through all the holes underneath them from inside the boot (no need to get in for this bit :p: ), and you should find some drops underneath the offending clip(s)…

I'll try that next.

Well… it appeared to be running through the ventilator thingy.
Is there a thread for his to fix the trim problem too?

One here https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=128271 but a lot of other info I can't find at the moment.

If you look above the ventilator thingy, you'll see a line of studs/nuts holding the waist trim on. Unscrew them to get the trim off the car. There's one nut right forward of the wheel arch - it's virtually impossible to get at

hogweed
25th March 2018, 11:20
Ah cheers Simon, will have a look at that too. We only get 2 days' sunshine a year here in NI, and we've already had 1½ of them, so will have to wait...

hogweed
30th April 2018, 22:06
I then carefully made good any minor scratching to the paintwork, and covered the square holes with self adhesive aluminium tape, followed by painting.

Brian… on the off chance you're still reading this, what I can’t get is that bit. If you covered the holes with tape, does that mean you stuck the clips to the tape???

And if you concealed the square holes, how did you ensure the clips were correctly positioned while gluing?

Thanks
Roger

marinabrian
30th April 2018, 22:32
Brian… on the off chance you're still reading this, what I can’t get is that bit. If you covered the holes with tape, does that mean you stuck the clips to the tape???

And if you concealed the square holes, how did you ensure the clips were correctly positioned while gluing?

Thanks
Roger

Yes Roger, I used Araldite Rapid to glue the new clips with the square tang removed over the original site.

I knew exactly where the centres were as I had planished the aluminium tape and there was a clear impression of the square hole in the body, which can be seen easily through the hole in the clip where the expanding pin would normally be fitted.

The positioning isn't particularly critical, the original purpose of the clips is to support the window while the sealing mastic is curing, and I suspect it will have set by now ;)

Dry boot :drool4:

hogweed
30th April 2018, 22:47
Yes Roger, I used Araldite Rapid to glue the new clips with the square tang removed over the original site.

I knew exactly where the centres were as I had planished the aluminium tape and there was a clear impression of the square hole in the body, which can be seen easily through the hole in the clip where the expanding pin would normally be fitted.

The positioning isn't particularly critical, the original purpose of the clips is to support the window while the sealing mastic is curing, and I suspect it will have set by now ;)

Dry boot :drool4:

You know Brian, I flatter myself I'm good at explaining things, but it doesn't seem to extend to doing things in print. Reading my question back, I'm not making it clear at all. What I meant was, if you stick tape over the hole, then you're sticking the clip to the tape, not to the car bodywork... :eek:

Or is there only a tiny little bit of tape under a geet big clip...?

marinabrian
30th April 2018, 23:04
You know Brian, I flatter myself I'm good at explaining things, but it doesn't seem to extend to doing things in print. Reading my question back, I'm not making it clear at all. What I meant was, if you stick tape over the hole, then you're sticking the clip to the tape, not to the car bodywork... :eek:

Or is there only a tiny little bit of tape under a geet big clip...?

Yes the clip is stuck to the tape, but also overlaps onto the bodywork.

The tape I used is normally employed to patch bullet holes in aircraft fuselage, and it sticks like shat to a blanket ;)

The tape was cut only 1/4" larger than the hole on each side, and planished using a tool I fashioned from a plastic chopstick.

When fitted, it resembled a Romac Cure C Cure patch, I'll let you look that one up ;)

hogweed
30th April 2018, 23:19
Yes the clip is stuck to the tape, but also overlaps onto the bodywork.

Gotcha. I’m a bit OCD, you know… things niggle at me if I can’t visualise every detail… I’m going to tackle it soon (again) you see. Though I found water positively gushing through that poxing ventilator thing (on the n/s), so took advantage of the good weather today to wheek the rear bumper off and seal both sides with silicone…

The tape I used is normally employed to patch bullet holes in aircraft fuselage, and it sticks like shat to a blanket

Yesss… I see. More of a problem over here than in the People’s Republic of North Tyneside… though not so much nowadays, thankfully.

The tape was cut only 1/4" larger than the hole on each side, and planished using a tool I fashioned from a plastic chopstick.

Nothing like a good planishing, I always say. But maybe I’ll just… ummm… don’t really see what the tape is for, if the clip is stuck down with Araldite… belt and braces?

When fitted, it resembled a Romac Cure C Cure patch, I'll let you look that one up

I just have… hello? Doctor??

marinabrian
30th April 2018, 23:27
Gotcha. I’m a bit OCD, you know… things niggle at me if I can’t visualise every detail… I’m going to tackle it soon (again) you see. Though I found water positively gushing through that poxing ventilator thing (on the n/s), so took advantage of the good weather today to wheek the rear bumper off and seal both sides with silicone…

Yesss… I see. More of a problem over here than in the People’s Republic of North Tyneside… though not so much nowadays, thankfully.

Nothing like a good planishing, I always say. But maybe I’ll just… ummm… don’t really see what the tape is for, if the clip is stuck down with Araldite… belt and braces?

I just have… hello? Doctor??

The tape cures the leak permanently, the clip is there to secure the bright trim and rubber skirt seal only.

Plus it is not possible to fit the clip in standard format without removing the rear screen, as it goes underneath the glass.

Bri :cool:

ceedy
1st May 2018, 08:53
I took out a few of the loose clips , and used this sort of insert back in the square hole . can't remember where but they are used somewhere else in our cars ???
this sort of thing .
http://championpartsonline.com.au/image/cache/data/bulk/CBP13-228x228.jpg

Some sealant and small self tapper and the trim clips can be well fixed back in .;)

just another option ..

C.

hogweed
1st May 2018, 09:33
The tape cures the leak permanently, the clip is there to secure the bright trim and rubber skirt seal only.

Plus it is not possible to fit the clip in standard format without removing the rear screen, as it goes underneath the glass.

Bri :cool:

Cheers Brian - I meant I thought the Araldite would seal the clip to the bodywork, so effectively prevent the ingress of water that way.

I'm going to order some new clips, as mine aren't in great shape anyway. Then, being Irish, I'm going to stare at the hole for a long time.

Also, as it's Ireland, I'll probably have to wait a year or two to get a few consecutive days of decent weather :mad:

hogweed
1st May 2018, 09:35
I took out a few of the loose clips , and used this sort of insert back in the square hole . can't remember where but they are used somewhere else in our cars ???
this sort of thing .
http://championpartsonline.com.au/image/cache/data/bulk/CBP13-228x228.jpg

Some sealant and small self tapper and the trim clips can be well fixed back in .;)

just another option ..

C.

Ummm... not quite with you there mate... did you screw the self-tapper through the square hole, into that white thing or what?

ceedy
1st May 2018, 10:24
I just used these to replace the orignal ( naff & loose) clip fixings .

These inserts just pop in the square hole and then you use a screw to hold the original clip down, these plastics expand with the screw to grip to the body work & with a blob of some sealant for good measure .

does that help ? ..
I think they are also used in the boot area to hold on a Emergency triangle bracket .

C.

Ummm... not quite with you there mate... did you screw the self-tapper through the square hole, into that white thing or what?

hogweed
1st May 2018, 10:49
I just used these to replace the orignal ( naff & loose) clip fixings .

These inserts just pop in the square hole and then you use a screw to hold the original clip down, these plastics expand with the screw to grip to the body work & with a blob of some sealant for good measure .

does that help ? ..
I think they are also used in the boot area to hold on a Emergency triangle bracket .

C.

Gotcha, thanks :D

hogweed
1st May 2018, 19:17
Oh FFS. We're in the middle of a monsoon here, so thought I'd just check in the boot again to see where the water is coming in - and it's POURING through the bottom of the n/s light cluster.

I've only just replaced the seals with the ones advertised on the site - not exactly rocket science, and I was careful. What can I have missed?

Can't check tonight as I'm out. I've had this car 8 years, but honestly, sometimes I feel like pushing it over a cliff.

hogweed
2nd May 2018, 09:51
OK… had a chance to take a couple of pics this morning. The water is POURING through at the bottom of the cluster (bottom of the red circle marked “A”).

So I took the cluster out, and you can see it’s soaking all down that side of the seal, and just running straight through.

The nuts were all tight, and neither the bodywork nor cluster seem to be deformed or anything in any way – any ideas why the water is coming through? It’s really bad in the boot now :(

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc506/roger465/Rover%20stuff/IMAG0133.jpg (http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/roger465/media/Rover%20stuff/IMAG0133.jpg.html)

Here's the bodywork - you can see water sitting on it:

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc506/roger465/Rover%20stuff/IMAG0134.jpg (http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/roger465/media/Rover%20stuff/IMAG0134.jpg.html)

And here's the new seal:

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc506/roger465/Rover%20stuff/IMAG0135.jpg (http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/roger465/media/Rover%20stuff/IMAG0135.jpg.html)

Jezzer 1
3rd May 2018, 10:08
OK… had a chance to take a couple of pics this morning. The water is POURING through at the bottom of the cluster (bottom of the red circle marked “A”).

So I took the cluster out, and you can see it’s soaking all down that side of the seal, and just running straight through.

The nuts were all tight, and neither the bodywork nor cluster seem to be deformed or anything in any way – any ideas why the water is coming through? It’s really bad in the boot now :(

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc506/roger465/Rover%20stuff/IMAG0133.jpg (http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/roger465/media/Rover%20stuff/IMAG0133.jpg.html)

Here's the bodywork - you can see water sitting on it:

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc506/roger465/Rover%20stuff/IMAG0134.jpg (http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/roger465/media/Rover%20stuff/IMAG0134.jpg.html)

And here's the new seal:

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc506/roger465/Rover%20stuff/IMAG0135.jpg (http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/roger465/media/Rover%20stuff/IMAG0135.jpg.html)

You have a pm Roger.

hogweed
3rd May 2018, 10:35
You have a pm Roger.

Thanks Jeremy - and as I said in the PM, no implied criticism of your seals here, which seem to be absolutely fine - the old one may have been leaking too, as that corner of the boot also had other sources of moisture FFS

PS found the old seals - thought I'd chucked them. I've stuck the old one back in to see what happens - I'll be surprised if it doesn't still leak, but I'm a desperate man... if this doesn't work, I suppose I've got to be thinking silicone... oh, the shame, the shame...