PDA

View Full Version : Facelift headlights - compatability

marks100
9th February 2018, 10:21
Hi there,

My facelift tourer has xenon lights (XBC002810 and XBC002800), the passenger side has a fault so the beam is pointing too low and the adjusters are not working correctly. I will take it out and have a tinker with it to see if it is fixable. However as Rimmers currently have replacements listed as £540.00 each, if I am not successful can I substitute a matched pair of projectors from a R75 or MG ZT? I.e. Are the plugs the same for the different types of lights?

Many thanks for any insight anyone can offer.

Mark S.

suzublu
9th February 2018, 10:25
The self levelling arms may have flipped, check the o/side suspension arms for an "L" shaped arm. The lights are interchangeable between models.:cool: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/109447bdc4f7dc34f.jpg

kelvo
9th February 2018, 10:28
My first thought is they would not be directly interchangeable as the Xenons have automatic levelling but halogen or projectors have manual adjustment from the thumb wheel next to the light switch. Not sure if the loom etc is different.

Probably pick up a set of Xenons of Ebay.

Avulon
9th February 2018, 12:46
:wot: suzublu said they are interchangeable. It's true that halogens as standard have the thumbwheel adjuster for the driver to operate - but doesn't matter if you have self levelling thats fine with halogens. The wiring at the lights end is the same for both types.

Just a note - the picture in suzublu's post is of the adjustment arm 'flipped' it should be the other way i.e. forming a parrallelogram with the suspension arm.

suzublu
9th February 2018, 13:02
:wot: suzublu said they are interchangeable. It's true that halogens as standard have the thumbwheel adjuster for the driver to operate - but doesn't matter if you have self levelling thats fine with halogens. The wiring at the lights end is the same for both types.

Just a note - the picture in suzublu's post is of the adjustment arm 'flipped' it should be the other way i.e. forming a parrallelogram with the suspension arm.

Voila!!! :D https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7469/15937487597_2ee270a7f9_o.jpg

NigelOBB
9th February 2018, 13:34
There’s a chance the adjustment arm might be seized. It happened to mine and sheared the bracket off..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marks100
9th February 2018, 16:25
Thanks for the replies, I think the self leveling is OK as both lights do the "self test" correctly, but I will check. The reflector looks a bit low in the passenger light and I cannot get the allen keyed adjusters to work, so feel there is something not quite right in the lamp itself. Anyway I have the other information I need so that is very helpful.

Regards,

Mark S.

suzublu
9th February 2018, 16:29
Thanks for the replies, I think the self leveling is OK as both lights do the "self test" correctly, but I will check. The reflector looks a bit low in the passenger light and I cannot get the allen keyed adjusters to work, so feel there is something not quite right in the lamp itself. Anyway I have the other information I need so that is very helpful.

Regards,

Mark S.

Self test has nothing to do with the levelling:cool: Maybe the plastic clips inside have come adrift, they are a sort of ball & socket affair:shrug:

Yorkshire GOC
9th February 2018, 16:55
My first thought is they would not be directly interchangeable as the Xenons have automatic levelling but halogen or projectors have manual adjustment from the thumb wheel next to the light switch. Not sure if the loom etc is different.

Probably pick up a set of Xenons of Ebay.

I did - for far less than the Rimmer price (£200) and which Trikey fitted a few years ago .:bowdown:

stevestrat
9th February 2018, 18:16
If the adjuster has failed, mine did due to corrosion between the geared wheel and the rod, there is a fix. I can assure you it works well, has done on mine for years!

Not sure if you can get the cogs separately, but when the adjuster worked loose on mine I did a 'quick fix' using the inside of a cable terminal block like this...
http://s7g3.scene7.com/is/image/ae235?$p$&layer=0&size=281,281&layer=1&size=281,281&src=ae235/30134_P

You just need the inside of one connector, then cut it in half so you have a short hollow block with a single screw in it. Slip it over the end of the adjuster rod and then use a pair of pliers to pull the adjuster rod out of the back of the lamp until it's at the correct height (line the beam up against a wall and compare it with the other side). Once it's in the correct position tighted the screw so that the rod is held in place.

It's just about do-able single handed, but easier if you can get someone else to tighten up the screw while you keep the light in position.

BTW - The 'quick fix' is still there 6 momths later!