PDA

View Full Version : Rover 75 Window - Down Manually?

not-great-with-cars
10th February 2018, 12:55
Hi,

I am kinda knew here. Well I joined ages ago but have just never been on here after joining and never posted anything. I have a rover 75 connoisseur 2003. It has electric windows. It has been off the road for a few months and the battery has died and their is beginning to be mold. It had mechanical failure and I am unsure if I will ever get it running again, but I wanted to have the option and don't want it full of mold when I do.

I would like to roll down the windows down a little to get some air in so that it is less likely mold will continue to grow, but as there is no battery life the electrics aren't working. There is little hope of me getting a jump start on this from anyone I know locally so I was wondering if there is a manual way to roll the window down.

I was going to take off the inner door and have a look, but thought I would check here first. I am not great with cars, so really haven't got a clue. :shrug:

roverbarmy
10th February 2018, 13:00
You will need to put jump leads on to lower electric windows. Sorry! :o

Rev Jules
10th February 2018, 13:40
Get a new battery.

Rev

wullie480
10th February 2018, 14:05
You’ll need to get power to the car to allow you operate the windows.
Does the car have a sunroof?

steve-45
10th February 2018, 16:41
Where are you in London, someone local may be able to help.

macafee2
10th February 2018, 18:48
how about connecting up a battery charger if you have or could borrow one? not ideal but you may be able to draw enough power to lower windows while charger is connected.

could one of your neighbours help with a "jump start"?

would 12v from a train or scalextric transformer provide enough power?

macafee2

not-great-with-cars
11th February 2018, 07:37
Hi all,

Thanks for the input. That's what I feared. I need to get power to it to get it down. I think the best option is to probably see if I can get a portable power source to it in some way to give the battery a bit of a charge.

The car has been off the road for some time and is in all likelihood probably never going to be driven again as it had an issue that needed repairing to be safe on the roads and the quote to repair was more than the cost of the car. Additionally, I don't need a car as much as I used to so, for now at least, I just hire them when I need them, but for various reasons we still want it in our driveway (don't ask :duh:) we just don't want it getting moldy.

Thanks for all your input, its helped solidify my thoughts.

Cheers

Mike Noc
11th February 2018, 21:42
Get shot of it and rent your driveway out to someone else who has a car.

Given the cost of parking in London you should make a very tidy return. :D

grivas
13th February 2018, 19:19
Hi,

I am kinda knew here. Well I joined ages ago but have just never been on here after joining and never posted anything. I have a rover 75 connoisseur 2003. It has electric windows. It has been off the road for a few months and the battery has died and their is beginning to be mold. It had mechanical failure and I am unsure if I will ever get it running again, but I wanted to have the option and don't want it full of mold when I do.

I would like to roll down the windows down a little to get some air in so that it is less likely mold will continue to grow, but as there is no battery life the electrics aren't working. There is little hope of me getting a jump start on this from anyone I know locally so I was wondering if there is a manual way to roll the window down.

I was going to take off the inner door and have a look, but thought I would check here first. I am not great with cars, so really haven't got a clue. :shrug:

Get rid of the car if you are not using it. Especially if you don't maintain it, You need at the very least a new battery to power things up, but if the car is left idle on the drive for prolong periods as it is 'faulty', you are wasting your money, and time. Anyway it is your car do as you see fit.

steve-45
13th February 2018, 20:27
Some people like to keep cars on their driveway as it makes the property look occupied.

grivas
13th February 2018, 20:50
Some people like to keep cars on their driveway as it makes the property look occupied.

That is fine by me as I said his car to do as he sees fit.