PDA

View Full Version : under bonnet pump

elroy
13th February 2018, 09:59
fitted new ubp yesterday because old one was rather noisy and it was leaking. i took a run into my local town today, noticed that the fuel gauge had dropped a bit ( only 8 mile to town ) parked up and checked under the bonnet to find i have a leak around the pump again. Is the pump at fault or could it be coming from the fuel pipe that goes to the filter ? Any advice would be gratefully received , cheers

COLVERT
13th February 2018, 12:58
Unfortunately that sort of problem needs to be actually 'looked' at. Answers at long range are very difficult to give.

grivas
13th February 2018, 14:08
fitted new ubp yesterday because old one was rather noisy and it was leaking. i took a run into my local town today, noticed that the fuel gauge had dropped a bit ( only 8 mile to town ) parked up and checked under the bonnet to find i have a leak around the pump again. Is the pump at fault or could it be coming from the fuel pipe that goes to the filter ? Any advice would be gratefully received , cheers

You need to establish EXACTLY where the leak is coming from, check everything carefully, is the UBP brand new unused etc quality item, have you used the correct hose clips to secure the hoses, check everything after cleaning up all the diesel.

rustymotor
13th February 2018, 14:44
Hi, when I did mine last year I found the pipes were chaffed as per the pic:-

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/397225a460fc048e36.jpg

Also, as a precaution I wouldn't use jubilee clips choose instead proper pipe/hose clips as mentioned due to pipe diameter. You might have a lose connection. Replaced with 5/16" fuel pipe kit.

http://grabargo.com/pics-rover/complete.jpg

elroy
13th February 2018, 15:48
You need to establish EXACTLY where the leak is coming from, check everything carefully, is the UBP brand new unused etc quality item, have you used the correct hose clips to secure the hoses, check everything after cleaning up all the diesel.

Hi Mario pump is brand new ordered from DMGRS last week. Proper clips used i will be having another look round when it stops raining. Cheers :}

elroy
13th February 2018, 15:54
Hi, when I did mine last year I found the pipes were chaffed as per the pic:-

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/397225a460fc048e36.jpg

Also, as a precaution I wouldn't use jubilee clips choose instead proper pipe/hose clips as mentioned due to pipe diameter. You might have a lose connection. Replaced with 5/16" fuel pipe kit.

http://grabargo.com/pics-rover/complete.jpg

Hi Gordon no chaffing on the pipes but the ends where a bit rough so i re-cut the end of the fuel pipe. no jubilee clips used. i will go through the process of fitting the pump again, triple checking everything as i go along, as soon as it stops raining. Cheers :}

rustymotor
13th February 2018, 18:49
Hi Roy, I used the same pump and changed mine before heading down to Spain last year, I put the old pump pierburg which was still working fine in the boot as a spare on the advise of members, the pump wasn't exactly whisper quiet well, not when it arrived in Spain at least. Good luck hope you sort it OK.

pugcrew
13th February 2018, 19:41
This is timely as I think I may have a problem with my UBP.

When I switch the ignition on I can hear the pump start up. I wouldn't say it is overly noisy but what I am more concerned about is that it runs for between 30 and 60 seconds before it stops when I leave it the key in this position i.e. don't actually start the engine.

This seems a long time or is this normal??

75driver
13th February 2018, 19:43
This is timely as I think I may have a problem with my UBP.

When I switch the ignition on I can hear the pump start up. I wouldn't say it is overly noisy but what I am more concerned about is that it runs for between 30 and 60 seconds before it stops when I leave it the key in this position i.e. don't actually start the engine.

This seems a long time or is this normal??

This is normal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pugcrew
14th February 2018, 09:10
This is normal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, at least that's one less thing to do!

Arctic
14th February 2018, 10:39

Hi Roy.
Maybe pop a photo up of where the leak is or you think it is, and we can take a look that way, you have done the right thing trimming the end of the fuel hose as they can flare out over time.

The same clips can be used for the hoses, they are easy to undo and press back together.

Fitted one last week for a member due to it being intermittent, also change the fuel filter if it as not been changed in the last 12 months, not that would be your problem just thought I would add that bit of info.

elroy
14th February 2018, 12:41
[QUOTE]]

Hi Roy.
Maybe pop a photo up of where the leak is or you think it is, and we can take a look that way, you have done the right thing trimming the end of the fuel hose as they can flare out over time.

The same clips can be used for the hoses, they are easy to undo and press back together.

Fitted one last week for a member due to it being intermittent, also change the fuel filter if it as not been changed in the last 12 months, not that would be your problem just thought I would add that bit of info.

cheers Artic, been working on it this morning, found the leak to be coming from the pipe to the filter. i have relpaced this with a new fuel line and new clips, no sign of any leak as yet, just having a cuppa with the mrs then i,m going to take the car for a blast down the A1 and the have another look round. Got a new fuel filter coming tomorrow, 13 month since it was changed cheers Roy....:} i,ll put some photos up if the problem persists :}

COLVERT
14th February 2018, 13:01
I have often wondered do we change fuel filters too soon.

My wife's Peugeot had a drain screw on the bottom of the filter housing.

I opened it several times over the 150,000 miles the car covered. Nothing but diesel came out. Nor did any water.--:shrug:

My present R75 diesel has had the same filter, unchanged, in it since December 2003.--:eek:

Never had any problems with the running of the car. Very strange.--:D

Arctic
14th February 2018, 14:36
[QUOTE=Arctic;2595671]

cheers Artic, been working on it this morning, found the leak to be coming from the pipe to the filter. i have relpaced this with a new fuel line and new clips, no sign of any leak as yet, just having a cuppa with the mrs then i,m going to take the car for a blast down the A1 and the have another look round. Got a new fuel filter coming tomorrow, 13 month since it was changed cheers Roy....:} i,ll put some photos up if the problem persists :}

HI Roy.
Great hope all is well and thank you for coming back to us with your findings every little bit of info helps others ;) cheers Arctic

elroy
14th February 2018, 19:13
[QUOTE]

HI Roy.
Great hope all is well and thank you for coming back to us with your findings every little bit of info helps others ;) cheers Arctic

happy to report that after a good 2 hour run up and down the A1, no leaking fuel to be found :} it has made me wonder how many of the pump failures were actually down to the fuel pipe. When i found that the leak was coming from the fuel pipe this morning i found that i could twist the whole pipe round but could not pull it off the pump. So off i went to the local car spares shop and for the sum of £3 i bought 1m length of 8mm fuel line and two new clips. cut the pipe down to size , putting the filter plug into the fuel line was stiff ( i submerged about 2inch of the fuel line into a cup of boiling water for about a minute to soften it a bit) put back on car with the new clips, no loose pipe and no leaks for now touch wood
cheers...Roy :}

rustymotor
14th February 2018, 19:44
Great, glad you nailed the leak..

I meant to add that at the time I did mine Andy ( Trikey ) mentioned the pipes need to be clipped properly to prevent chaffing..because I used normal fuel line I decided to drill 2 x 5mm holes 5mm between centers in the plastic battery box left side at the bottom and secured the pipes with a tie wrap, this way they couldn't pop out of the clips and chafe or, I guess you could renew the clips with full captive type.

elroy
14th February 2018, 21:58
Great, glad you nailed the leak..

I meant to add that at the time I did mine Andy ( Trikey ) mentioned the pipes need to be clipped properly to prevent chaffing..because I used normal fuel line I decided to drill 2 x 5mm holes 5mm between centers in the plastic battery box left side at the bottom and secured the pipes with a tie wrap, this way they couldn't pop out of the clips and chafe or, I guess you could renew the clips with full captive type.

good idea Gordon, will have a look at that tomorrow :}