PDA

View Full Version : Clutch issue

NickAX54
14th February 2018, 12:40
I've had a strange issue with my clutch again, intermittently i had not been able to select a gear, can feel clutch not disengaging. 10 minutes later it's fine. Replace the master awhile ago and all fine.
This then started again last week, again leave for 10 minutes and was fine again until today and now the pedal has gone solid and can feel a vibrating through the pedal.
Would I be right I assuming that the slave has gone.
Thanks

COLVERT
14th February 2018, 12:48
When you say the pedal is SOLID do you mean is doesn't move at all or that it goes right down to the floor.

Solid would mean the clutch innards have seized up. Down to the floor means no fluid in the system or with failure of the master or slave cylinders.---:eek:

marinabrian
14th February 2018, 17:28
That sounds suspiciously like the quick connect coupling isn't connected between the slave and master cylinder ;)

Make sure they're clicked together properly and report back :)

Brian :D

NickAX54
14th February 2018, 20:15
Hi the pedal feels like the brake, moves under pressure but only a few inches.
I have checked the connecting coupler which appear to be secure.
The fluid is at the correct level and no leaks that I can tell.
When I put pressure on the clutch pedal it seem like In can feel the clutch spinning (hard to explain but a sort of vibration)

COLVERT
15th February 2018, 18:30
Hi the pedal feels like the brake, moves under pressure but only a few inches.
I have checked the connecting coupler which appear to be secure.
The fluid is at the correct level and no leaks that I can tell.
When I put pressure on the clutch pedal it seem like In can feel the clutch spinning (hard to explain but a sort of vibration)

Excuse me asking but how did you check the fluid level ???

It's so hard to get at the reservoir under the dash.

Do you use one of those mirrors on a telescopic rod ???

Comfortably Numb
15th February 2018, 22:34
Hi, Nick. If you can't push the pedal right down, presumably, that is when you experience the baulking, ie, can't get the gear lever into position, or perhaps if it does go in, it grates the gear, then slows the engine, which is when you feel the vibration. The baulking may be accompanied by a wizzing or hissing sound, which is the thrust bearing being pushed hard against the clutch centre, which is not sliding along the input shaft's splines. It could be that the splines are burred or otherwise damaged, but releasing the pressure, and then re-applying it can realign the clutch centre, so it will slip past the sticking point.Sadly, the only way you will cure this is by separating the gearbox and engine, and examining clutch and shaft.

Comfortably Numb
15th February 2018, 22:39
PS pressing the pedal forces the thrust bearing against the clutch centre; too much pedal pressure needed may destroy the thrust bearing, if indeed the clutch centre is sticking on the splines.

NickAX54
15th February 2018, 23:13
Hi, Nick. If you can't push the pedal right down, presumably, that is when you experience the baulking, ie, can't get the gear lever into position, or perhaps if it does go in, it grates the gear, then slows the engine, which is when you feel the vibration. The baulking may be accompanied by a wizzing or hissing sound, which is the thrust bearing being pushed hard against the clutch centre, which is not sliding along the input shaft's splines. It could be that the splines are burred or otherwise damaged, but releasing the pressure, and then re-applying it can realign the clutch centre, so it will slip past the sticking point.Sadly, the only way you will cure this is by separating the gearbox and engine, and examining clutch and shaft.

That is what I thought, I'll pull the complete engine and box, do the belts, clutch and slave.
Thanks for all the advice

NickAX54
15th February 2018, 23:14
Excuse me asking but how did you check the fluid level ???

It's so hard to get at the reservoir under the dash.

Do you use one of those mirrors on a telescopic rod ???

That's exactly what I used, even has a little led light