PDA

View Full Version : Trouble filling the fuel tank diesel

Dannyboy10227
16th February 2018, 15:00
Been having this issue for a while now. Whatever gas station I go to to fill up Tesco, bp, shell etc I have the same issue. When I pull the trigger on the diesel nossel after 2 seconds it shuts off fuel. So I have to pull out a little and go very slow. A right pain when filling from empty. The fuel doesn’t seem to be getting into the tank quick enough to stop the filler nossel from shutting off. Doesn’t make any difference how full or empty the tank is time of day or night. Hot or cold outside the same issue.
Can anyone shed any light on the issue. Any help appreciated. Thanks

COLVERT
16th February 2018, 15:43
I think there is a breather pipe to let the air out as the fuel goes in. How it could block though I don't know. Unusual fault.

Dannyboy10227
16th February 2018, 16:31
Did have a look at that a while ago and all seemed ok. My thoughts guys exactly a bit of an unusual fault

rustymotor
16th February 2018, 17:15
Is your fuel gauge working OK it's not full tank for example :}

stevenicks
16th February 2018, 22:18
Is your fuel gauge working OK it's not full tank for example :}

Good thinking Batman :D:};)

Mgaz
17th February 2018, 08:01
Been having this issue for a while now. Whatever gas station I go to to fill up Tesco, bp, shell etc I have the same issue. When I pull the trigger on the diesel nossel after 2 seconds it shuts off fuel. So I have to pull out a little and go very slow. A right pain when filling from empty. The fuel doesn’t seem to be getting into the tank quick enough to stop the filler nossel from shutting off. Doesn’t make any difference how full or empty the tank is time of day or night. Hot or cold outside the same issue.

I've seen this lots of times at the petrol station where i work.

Not really sure what causes it. Sometimes its the cars, sometimes it seems to be the pumps them selves.

Do you always go to the same dispenser/bowser ?

We seem to have certain pumps that are more sensitive than others.

Also happens to me on various cars.. And Im not sure why either.

I have noticed it seems worse in warmer days.

Heddy
17th February 2018, 10:15
I have this problem but not every time. Some pumps feel like you're putting lemonade in, it's probably the detergents in the fuel.

COLVERT
17th February 2018, 18:44
I have this problem but not every time. Some pumps feel like you're putting lemonade in, it's probably the detergents in the fuel.

More like deterrents.--:p:

Dannyboy10227
2nd March 2018, 12:26
Fuel gauge seems to always read perfect. I fill up when I get to a quarter of a tank and then back up to full. I’ve tried all pumps and gas stations. Same issue. Might check out the breather pipe idea. Is there any how to’s on this?
I’m wondering if the filler pipe could have something blocking it and not allowing the fuel to go to the tank.
Just takes ages to fill to full and yes if you fill up at some places it is like putting lemonade in the tank. More annoying than I real big issue

Thanks for all your help on this guys it’s much appreciated

shaunlee75
20th March 2018, 20:12
Fuel gauge seems to always read perfect. I fill up when I get to a quarter of a tank and then back up to full. I’ve tried all pumps and gas stations. Same issue. Might check out the breather pipe idea. Is there any how to’s on this?
I’m wondering if the filler pipe could have something blocking it and not allowing the fuel to go to the tank.
Just takes ages to fill to full and yes if you fill up at some places it is like putting lemonade in the tank. More annoying than I real big issue

Thanks for all your help on this guys it’s much appreciated
Danny,

Any joy on the fix for this?

I have exactly the same issue, every pump, every brand, takes at least 10 mins to fill up.

m2n
21st March 2018, 15:34
I had that trouble with a Mondeo i used to have,I solved this by not putting fuel nozzle all the way in just far enough for the fuel to go in..... i used to push nozzle all way in but pull it out couple inches and it was fine, never found out why it done it........

HarryM1BYT
21st March 2018, 15:52

I always fill to the brim, I have filled up at various sites around the country and never had an issue, it only clicks off on the very last bit. My guess would be there is a kink, or obstruction in the fill pipe. Might someone have pushed a tennis ball or similar in there?

Buy, steal or borrow one of those snake cams and push it down the neck to see what is causing it.

freddie
21st March 2018, 15:57
Mine has always been a pain to fill also ,also takes ages to fillup.
I have to put just about an inch of the nozzle in then just pull the trigger gently.

freddie
21st March 2018, 16:05
Did bring up this subject in 2005.:}

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=66261&page=2