PDA

View Full Version : Replacing front springs - what would you do?

tourer82
20th February 2018, 20:24
Need to replace the front springs on my ZT and I'm aware that the pinch bolt at the bottom of the strut can be resistant to moving to put it mildly. I'm wondering if I should try to remove the struts this way or just disconnect the outboard ends of the driveshafts and remove the strut with the hub still attached?

marinabrian
20th February 2018, 20:57
Need to replace the front springs on my ZT and I'm aware that the pinch bolt at the bottom of the strut can be resistant to moving to put it mildly. I'm wondering if I should try to remove the struts this way or just disconnect the outboard ends of the driveshafts and remove the strut with the hub still attached?

I would remove the pinch bolt ;)

Plenty of plusgas for a day or so before attempting the job, wirebrush the exposed threads, give the head of the bolt a good shock with a 2Lb lump hammer, then with a good quality 15mm impact socket and breaker bar, tighten first, and then slacken.

The one thing I will say is check to make sure the bolt is actually unscrewing, rather than winding up ready to snap, as these have a tendency to waste where the bolt is exposed in the hub slot.

I've not failed to get one out yet using this method :D

Brian :cool: