PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade?? More like Downgrade reversal !!!

Jontie
7th February 2007, 21:33
My pal has a '99 2.5 V6 in the same colour as my own (both our previous cars were 600's) I notice that his bonnet release is a nice little lever that pops out of the grille when you pull the bonnet release lever,I have to fish about with my fingers under the front edge. Also his car has twin horns that give a nice tuned sound that you expect from an exec' type car, whereas my single one is sooo embarrassing.::puke:

So, my questions are; If I embark on this "reversal" does anyone have twin horns for sale or "sourced",( I already have the bonnet release on its way) and can anyone tell me, from the vast experience on this forum, if, whilst I have the front off, there are any other worthwhile "reversals" to do??

Keith
7th February 2007, 21:38
Twin horns are worthwhile (if you have a need to use them) I have just added a Fiamm Alto on my V8 as the standard lo tone horn was a bit feeble

only other thing worth adding to the front would be heated washer headlight washer and Xenons but they were not drive casualties

Simon
7th February 2007, 21:42
Having a Conn SE I think you have most of they toys.

Have you considered getting the grille chromed? There have been a couple of threads about this already and could easily be done whilst the front bumper is off. A good clean up and checking the working of your fan motor and relay could be something else to do. Perhaps cleaning up the washer bottle.... maybe checking all the wiring for chaffing (can happen sometimes, especially the wiring to the headlamps). Shannon duct for the airbox can become degraded over time so you may want to check that out too...

... Of course, that's a lot of "checking" but not much "fitting". Hmmm. :getmecoat: ;) :)

JohnDotCom
7th February 2007, 21:53
You can get one of these from XPart Shop or Mail Order, Very Loud and sounds great wired in with the standard horn. See here:
http://www.mgroveraccessories.com/shop/103_393_0/rover/rover_75_tourer/styling/stebel_air_horn/index.html

GreyGhost
7th February 2007, 21:53
I have just recently bought the complimentary low tone horn to go with the factory installed feeble high tone from Brown & Gammons for the sum of £4.21 plus VAT. Wiring should already be in place or can easilly be extended from existing horn.
www.ukmgparts.com

Jontie
8th February 2007, 20:22
Thanks for the replies boys, interesting list of things to check Simon, I'll certainly be having a good look . GG, that seems just what I need but £4.26 plus vat???? I can't see me being so lucky but I'll be giving them a ring tomorrow!!

GreyGhost
8th February 2007, 20:35
Thanks for the replies boys, interesting list of things to check Simon, I'll certainly be having a good look . GG, that seems just what I need but £4.26 plus vat???? I can't see me being so lucky but I'll be giving them a ring tomorrow!!

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Parts4Your-MG_Other_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

B&Gs Ebay shop. 4.95

Phil
8th February 2007, 20:48
Any chance of a how too for wiring in the second horn to post project dive cars? Photo's of wires to dig into etc??
Please!?

GreyGhost
8th February 2007, 20:51
There were no instructions with the one I had delivered, so for me it will be a warm spring day before I chance fitting.

Jontie
8th February 2007, 20:54
Thanks GG!!! Purchase made!!!

SKUDman
8th February 2007, 21:02

Hi

Have fitted the Stebel which i think sounds pretty OK (If you're at the meet, look me up and try my horn.....) The big issue is the bumper removal but other threads are good guide. Once off its straight forward using existing wires but changing spades to bullet terminals

Ackel
22nd March 2007, 21:58
Hi!

I also have the dreaded post Project Drive single horn that I am too embarassed to use, and I want to make a change! Is there enough space behind the bumper to install a bigger horn unit than the standard one? I am thinking of maybe getting a compressor one, or at least a third party twin horn unit that is bigger than the standard horn.

Ackel

Keith
22nd March 2007, 22:29
Hi and welcome

There is a fair bit of space, although to fit the second horn I had to trim a bit of foam away.

On my V8 there was not any additional wiring plus the horn I bought from B&G was larger than the other one and had a different connector

All easy to fit though and nicely loud now!

crofts
23rd March 2007, 01:11
My pal has a '99 2.5 V6 in the same colour as my own (both our previous cars were 600's) I notice that his bonnet release is a nice little lever that pops out of the grille when you pull the bonnet release lever,I have to fish about with my fingers under the front edge. Also his car has twin horns that give a nice tuned sound that you expect from an exec' type car, whereas my single one is sooo embarrassing.::puke:

So, my questions are; If I embark on this "reversal" does anyone have twin horns for sale or "sourced",( I already have the bonnet release on its way) and can anyone tell me, from the vast experience on this forum, if, whilst I have the front off, there are any other worthwhile "reversals" to do??

Adding the horn with the bumper off should be easy. I fitted an extra one from B&G (at that bargain price) but with the bumper on/grill out. Not easy to tap into wires for the N/side single horn but if you search behind black panel you will find wires coming over to O/side. With bumper off the washer bottle is exposed and it is easy to connect into the horn wiring which is adjacent.
Personally, if I was doing the job again, I would fit a Fiamm (as per Keith) or the £20 Stebel from the online shop. Probably tight behind grill but think easily mounted next to washer bottle.
(By the way it is a very tight fit getting the B&G horn into the corresponding O/side position. The O/Equip. high tone horn (also about £20) probably fits easier with the bracket it is supplied with.)
Tip to clean the washer bottle with bumper off worthwhile as gunge collects in bottom I believe.

JohnDotCom
23rd March 2007, 08:16
Must be another thing they put back on on the FaceLifts as I have 2 horns fitted on my 2005 model but Ive still added this one from Rover/MG very loud! http://www.mgroveraccessories.com/shop/103_393_0/rover/rover_75_tourer/styling/stebel_air_horn/index.html

Ackel
24th March 2007, 09:05
Must be another thing they put back on on the FaceLifts as I have 2 horns fitted on my 2005 model but Ive still added this one from Rover/MG very loud! http://www.mgroveraccessories.com/shop/103_393_0/rover/rover_75_tourer/styling/stebel_air_horn/index.html

Hi John,
Did you have any problems finding the space to mount it? I gather you removed the original horns.

Ackel

mach1rob
24th March 2007, 12:35
OK here's an odd one, I have the two horns fitted behind the grille, yet when you use the horn the single one for the alarm sounds :shrug:

I'm confused!