PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and a front end knocking

Brakedust
8th February 2007, 03:10
hello every one, had my 75 now for a few months, and had a few problems with her (as all cars) fixed most of them now but i have 1 more left and was hoping you kind people could point me in the direction of a fix!

When going over speed bumps or around corners at a slow speed there is quite a knocking from the front end, it also happens when the car is stationary and and i rock the stearing wheel, im guessing its a bushing of some sort (im hoping nothing bigger) does anyone know of this being a common problem with a quick fix, or what bushing it is thats likely to be worn?
Shes a 51 plate cdt series 1 with manual gearbox.

Thankyou in advance

Regards
Brett Hunt

Kandyman
8th February 2007, 04:07
Hi there Brakedust,

Welcome to the forums :)

If it was me i would take the car in to your local and get them to put it up on ramps and have a look about under the car with them and see what you can see :)

or if you want to have a bit of DIY jack the front of the car up (and use axle stands to be safe)and look at your lower front wish bone and also the top strut bearing, get someone to turn the wheel and see if you can hear anything or see any play.

MartinW
8th February 2007, 06:36
Wasn't there a problem with some early cars suffering snapped front springs?

GreyGhost
8th February 2007, 08:44

There was but I think a knocking over bumps would be the last of your problems in that case. Broken spring puncturing tyre for one. More likely top strut as Kandyman says. Quite common.

Keith
8th February 2007, 11:06
Search for Front top strut swivel joints

Kandyman
8th February 2007, 20:53

Martin the front spring recall info

11-07-2002: 12,592 75s from VIN RJ001242 to RJ133299 recalled because "vehicles operating in high corrosion areas may experience fracture of the front suspension road springs" which may lead to puncturing of the inner wall of a front tyre. Front springs to be replaced.

Simon W
9th February 2007, 02:09
It could be the steering rack too.

JohnDotCom
9th February 2007, 08:13
It could be the steering rack too.
Don't fighten him Simon!:)

Brakedust
9th February 2007, 18:22
cheers people, i have had a look and both front springs seem fine, ill look into the top strut, is it an easy (ish) fix, i do all my maintenance myself as im a engineer in the Air Force so any pointers would be ace

Lates
9th February 2007, 19:00
See other thread for information Brakedust. One important tool you will need is a big hammer and decent chisel along with some spring compressors.

Rob_N
14th February 2007, 18:11
Martin the front spring recall info

11-07-2002: 12,592 75s from VIN RJ001242 to RJ133299 recalled because "vehicles operating in high corrosion areas may experience fracture of the front suspension road springs" which may lead to puncturing of the inner wall of a front tyre. Front springs to be replaced.

Kandyman - tried to send yu a PM but yr inbox seems to be full.

Thanks for yr info on recall.. I had never heard of this problem and as member of the old site (I was called Barryboy in those days) I did quite a bit of research on the strengths and weaknesses of the car before I settled on this model. I am obviously concerned about the N/S spring, now, and will need to get it checked if the VIN numbers tally.

On this point I would be grateful for yr advice on the VIN number - mine looks nothing like the numbers you quote.... Mine is SARRJSLHK2D219798 first registered in July 2001. Does this numbering system make any sense to you?

Simon W
15th February 2007, 05:58
Ditto what Rob says. Mine is VIN SARRJSLKD1D213289 (March 02). Does that mean it's not a recall car and the strut should be ok?

GreyGhost
15th February 2007, 09:34
The last 6 numbers in your VIN are the relevant ones. Neither of you are in the recall zone.
And that is road spring Simon not strut.

Simon W
16th February 2007, 03:07
Ok thanks GG.

mantianak
16th February 2007, 22:03
When I first got my 75 it had a loud banging noise from the rear when going over bumbs.
Took it to a local garage who put it on ramps and told me it needed new brake shoes.
I knew the hand brake worked fine so I had a look myself. Turned out to be a lose brake cable knocking on the susspension arm thingy. The road dust had worn to show the more shiney metal below from constant tapping. A cable tie took care of that.

Hope that helps in some way.

JohnDotCom
16th February 2007, 22:19
When I first got my 75 it had a loud banging noise from the rear when going over bumbs.
Took it to a local garage who put it on ramps and told me it needed new brake shoes.
I knew the hand brake worked fine so I had a look myself. Turned out to be a lose brake cable knocking on the susspension arm thingy. The road dust had worn to show the more shiney metal below from constant tapping. A cable tie took care of that.

Hope that helps in some way.
The spare wheel not secured in the Tourer gives some awful noises to.
Yes its secured again now needed the extra long securing bolt as have full size spare.