PDA

View Full Version : Rust on sills - heads up

operamagorum
8th July 2018, 19:30
Hi all
Recently put my car in to the local body shop for welding and paint (I should point out that I have an excellent relationship with them and have used them for years)

Car came back looking perfect but, unfortunately, I had forgotten to mention the build up of silt at the rear end (closest to rear wheel arch) which is a design fault as most of you are aware.
Two months later and I had rust showing through again.

I like to keep my car 'spot on', so I took it back and registered a mild complaint. Luckily for me they accepted the complaint, listened to what I had to say and cleaned out the sills, waxyoiled them and repainted FOC.
I only mention this in case you run up against the same problem
Tell them when booking it in
Geoff

Brunty
8th July 2018, 19:44
Already posted on this. My Copperleaf 1.8L had welding on rear offside jacking point last year at local garage. Ended up with no jacking point just a plate welded to pass MOT.
Now in at a proper body shop, bottom of rear wheel arch totally rusted, bubbling through rust on sill, told me they would cut out and replace rotten sections phoned on Friday to tell me rear inner sill was also rusted through, all being sorted and should be fixed this week together with paintwork.
Common problem with Rover 75, most are rusting in the same place.

P-Nut
8th July 2018, 19:53
Is there any way to rust proof the inside of the sill of rust has spread? Surely spraying over rust won't cure it?

operamagorum
8th July 2018, 20:01
As I understand it, the rust has to be treated from the inside (plus new fabricated sections). I am fully expecting a large bill in a year or two for new sills.
If you are good at DIY - I don't have workshop facilities - you can cut out a piece at the end of the sill, clear out the muck, de-rust, fill and paint. It costs, but worth it! G

Dawn
8th July 2018, 20:12
No need for large bills. Tom Hobbs near me does them £100 a side all cut out and new sections made up. He's a panel beater and classic car restorer. He also know where these rot and why. He did my Cowley and Trikeys as well as maxi crawlfs and quite a few on Facebook. Top bloke.

operamagorum
8th July 2018, 20:14
Hi Dawn
Brilliant price, but some of us live a million miles away!
G

Rickshaw
8th July 2018, 20:37
I am encouraged to find it is perfectly possible to find capable people who can , in effect , rebuild a poorly sill. Above this , however , I think we need to both treat sills internally and , hopefully , stop the rot to begin with. I've contributed to a few threads on this topic recently but , basically , the recap the main points / how I have approached it :-
1 - I have applied Silicone Sealant all along the chrome finishers that run from front to rear wing. This stopped , dead the boot flooding in one of my 75's. I am pretty sure that it is via these finishers across the rear wings that water dribbles down onto the rear jacking points. I force the finishers away from the main bodywork with small wooden sticks ( actually , stirrers from Costas !) and locate the grip points then flood the area with Silicone )
2 - the Sill finishers are treated the same way . I n my case , however , I first removed the Sill finishers to gain full access to the Sills. I inserted long strings of XMAS led lights and used an endoscope to examine the sills internally ( XMAS led lights and used an endoscope dead cheap on EBay!) I applied Dinitrol Cavity Wax - but Waxoyl probably as good.
3 - for the Jack points I removed the jack rubber , cleaned out muck with a rag/finger , then removed rough rust with a bent scraper , used endoscope and small mirror to examine progress , worked with some carborundum paper , cleaned then applied rust converter. This was followed by Epoxy resin and , finally , Dinitrol!
It is worth also noting that there is a large 'Hole' in the rear , driver side , wheel arch where the fuel pipe travels. This is not sealed , water can enter and rot inside the car under the rear seat. I have plugged this on all my cars and finally coated with thick layers of wax.
Hope this is of use.

Ian G
8th July 2018, 20:44
Hi Dawn
Brilliant price, but some of us live a million miles away!
G

Actually it's less than 200
You wont fall off the edge....:Honest:D:D

operamagorum
8th July 2018, 20:56
Actually it's less than 200
You wont fall off the edge....:Honest:D:D

Yeah, I know...........but every time I need something doing on my car it involves hundreds of miles of travel - Jules for mechanical work, for example, and it ain't easy with two dogs!
G

Dallas
8th July 2018, 21:04
Yeah, I know...........but every time I need something doing on my car it involves hundreds of miles of travel - Jules for mechanical work, for example, and it ain't easy with two dogs!
G

I totally agree with you there, the problem is with the area we live in. :shrug: I see you live just down the road from me, you dont see many MG Rovers around our neck of the woods these days. The new generation of mechanics around here just laugh at you... :mad:

operamagorum
8th July 2018, 21:06
No need for large bills. Tom Hobbs near me does them £100 a side all cut out and new sections made up. He's a panel beater and classic car restorer. He also know where these rot and why. He did my Cowley and Trikeys as well as maxi crawlfs and quite a few on Facebook. Top bloke.
Hi Dawn
Does this include paint?
Thanks

Geoff

operamagorum
9th July 2018, 00:14
I totally agree with you there, the problem is with the area we live in. :shrug: I see you live just down the road from me, you dont see many MG Rovers around our neck of the woods these days. The new generation of mechanics around here just laugh at you... :mad:

Completely agree. Had an ABS judder problem at low speed. Took it to a local garage, who assured me that they could diagnose and fix. 3 trips and 3 wheel bearings later and still the same problem. Took it to Jules and 1 wheel bearing and sensor on a T4 and fixed. Wasted approx £500. Incidentally, I was charged for a sensor that wasn't fitted and they neglected to replace disc dust plate. Never again!

Dawn
9th July 2018, 06:07
Yes it includes painting but if your car requires colour match (mine was Cowley so didnt) rhen Tom asks you supply the matched paint for him . I feel your pain avout repairs as I have three dogs. For me its mechanical I struggle with. And now Andy has moved even further lol. Will be getting a holiday in Norfolk next year haha!