PDA

View Full Version : Detailing to The Extreme

Greeners
8th November 2008, 16:29
Warning....very very long thread (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=81391)

You've just got to admire the dedication and attention to detail.....

(I wonder how much he spent...:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: )

Kandyman
8th November 2008, 16:54
Thats some work, must of cost him loads for that sort of build.

Christopher
8th November 2008, 17:25
He must look at "ordinary" cars, which we think are reasonably "clean" and he must cry - did you see the photos of the inside of the wheels washed and wax :eek: !!!

Very nice end product though!

keiron99
8th November 2008, 17:35
That thread has been discussed all over the web, and caused a few people to fall out too!

One really does have to wonder what else he has going on in his life...or, perhaps, what's missing from his life.

This spoof (http://www.barryboys.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25953)is hilarious.

Simondi
8th November 2008, 17:43
All I can think is how dissapointed he must be. I mean all that cleaning and its STILL an Astra:shrug:

Greeners
8th November 2008, 18:08
did you see the photos of the inside of the wheels washed and wax :eek: !!!

If you've got alloys and want to keep them clean, that's the way to go. You'll be suprised how easy they are to keep clean afterwards.

sworks
8th November 2008, 18:36
This was posted on a mini forum i use. I thought it quite funny when he thought about handing the car back due to a very very small blemish that you needed a bright light to see. How would you find the time?

Greeners
8th November 2008, 18:38
iI did think that slightly odd.........I was expecting to see him try and remove it....

The standard of workmanship is superb, the badges, the under bonnet covers............Wish I had the time and money...

sworks
8th November 2008, 18:59
Getting worried about the marks on the paint from production thats under the carpet is taking things a bit extreme. The biggest worry for me............When something goes wrong with the car and it goes to a garage for warranty work, lets hope his local deallership is a good one!

Christopher
8th November 2008, 20:07
If you've got alloys and want to keep them clean, that's the way to go. You'll be suprised how easy they are to keep clean afterwards.

Of course - and I admit that I did that to my union alloys when I got them off ebay, before I changed the ones I had on before (Comets?) - however I don't have the time or energy to take them off and clean them on the inside subsequently! :shrug:

pmessling
8th November 2008, 20:49
does he not realise that its only a vauxhall, really needs to get out more, whilst the paint work will be spotless the rest of the car will rust away

stevemac
9th November 2008, 06:05
Why go to all that trouble of using filtered water in the buckets but be happy to blast it with unfiltered water at 100 miles an hour with a jet wash:shrug:

JohnDotCom
9th November 2008, 08:26
I prefer to drive mine..............
Is that a 45 or 75 in the Neighbours drive?

FROGGY
9th November 2008, 13:46
does he not realise that its only a vauxhall, really needs to get out more, whilst the paint work will be spotless the rest of the car will rust away

Not as fast as some (no names) :getmecoat:

No matter what you may feel about him personally, I have nothing but admiration for someone who sets about a project, and completes it in a manner that for the rest of us would be almost impossible to achieve.
Fantastic work.

Mick

Jürgen
9th November 2008, 14:13
Isn't this the usually Saturday morning car cleaning procedure as we all do regularly?
Or are you guys just too lazy? :D
:getmecoat:

Unbelievable, this bloke really cares about his car.

kevin
9th November 2008, 14:22
I like my car to be clean, and have spent two days cleaning it and plan to do to lots of cleaning for the meet next sunday. (unless it rains all week)
But the frist day you get a new car is about driving it and enjoying it.

Pete
9th November 2008, 16:30
Could you imagine the reaction you would get if you were travelling in the passenger seat on the way to the shops and you accidentally broke wind?

The_Monk
9th November 2008, 20:35
The time and effort we put into our cars is probably seen as crazy! Hats off to him for the time and effort. If I had the time and money to do that to my car, I would! Unfortunately I haven't and its not been cleaned at all for over 4 months! If that chap saw it he'd probably pass out. :D

pmessling
9th November 2008, 22:46
hate to see his face when a bird craps on it

Jules
9th November 2008, 23:38
What tickles me is the black cover he has on the pressure washer to stop it getting splashed

All that effort would be better spent on a ZT :unlucky:
Would someone tell him?

deano78
10th November 2008, 09:08
What tickles me is the black cover he has on the pressure washer to stop it getting splashed

All that effort would be better spent on a ZT :unlucky:
Would someone tell him?

thats actually to stop snow foam getting sucked in as it can damage it quite badly. Ill ask marc about the 75 see what he says.;)

Simon
10th November 2008, 22:13
Could you imagine the reaction you would get if you were travelling in the passenger seat on the way to the shops and you accidentally broke wind?

:clap:
I'd image you would probably have to walk the rest... :( :shrug:

Hats off to him for such a thorough and detailed er... detail but I do think 51 coats of wax applied over 3 month course is a little too obsessive in my opinion... :unlucky: :confused:

Zeb
11th November 2008, 21:40
but I do think 51 coats of wax applied over 3 month course is a little too obsessive in my opinion... :unlucky: :confused:

It occurs to me that by about the tenth coat of wax the first two will have been worn away by the er waxing...:shrug:

deano78
11th November 2008, 22:36
its zaino, so its a sealent and you can layer as much as you like and it will add more and more protection.

tourerfogey
12th November 2008, 13:08
Ahh, but does he wash behind his ears ?

Ken
12th November 2008, 13:41
Here's a question for you guys. My old neighbour has an H reg Fiesta. She has had it since new and never EVER washed it let alone polished it. She never had the paint protected by whatever its called either.

Heres the question...............the paint is as good as new when a part of it is cleaned off, why? Ok its a bit dull but thats it nothing else wrong with it, It gives the impression that if it was polished with any old polish it would come up like new.

I knew her for 13 years and I know for a fact it was never washed so is it a myth that polishing a car every so often keeps the appearance?

GreyGhost
12th November 2008, 13:56
I have always used the washing and polishing exercise as a way of checking the bodywork for minor damage and rust. As you know Ken I don't do washing and polishing to the extreme, just like to be in a relatively clean car. I'm sure it slips through the air a bit quicker. :D Especially when the glass is sparkling. :)

Simon
12th November 2008, 18:25
It's probably true that the dirt has 'protected' the car, so to speak, over those years. A true 'detailer' may be quivering in his/her wash bucket at those words but a wax coat after all is simply a barrier between the paint and the environment so why should a dirt/grime layer be any different?

Okay, I know that's a highly simplified example and I know the reasons behind keeping a car clean and why dirt/grime is bad etc and what it can do to your paint but for the purposes of this post, the simplification is sufficient means to an ends. :)

The Yellow Peril
13th November 2008, 15:16
It's probably true that the dirt has 'protected' the car, so to speak, over those years. A true 'detailer' may be quivering in his/her wash bucket at those words but a wax coat after all is simply a barrier between the paint and the environment so why should a dirt/grime layer be any different?

Okay, I know that's a highly simplified example and I know the reasons behind keeping a car clean and why dirt/grime is bad etc and what it can do to your paint but for the purposes of this post, the simplification is sufficient means to an ends. :)

I've always maintained that a thick layer of accumulated road grime on your windscreen is an effective UV block which protects the cars occupants from the harmful and damaging effects of sunburn etc.

It isn't quite as effective in protecting you and yours from the harmful and damaging effects of raming a 40 ton HGV up the rear-end, but it's all swings and roundabouts, or Traffic Islands as the are often mistakenly referred to.

Wash my car? Are you mad?

Thats what Mrs YP is retained for, that and the occasional caress with a blunt object when I least expect it.

Andy

davidbooker
7th February 2009, 10:52
Whenever I find a mark on my paintwork left by some careless mum with a shopping trolley, I get really annoyed. If it happened to him, this poor guy would need to be straitjacketed and sectioned, I reckon! Great work though, a real labour of loving perfection.

deano78
7th February 2009, 15:35
i've got BIG plans for the 75 this summer. you think this is OCD you aint seen nothing yet.:D

HarleymanFXD
15th February 2009, 14:17
the parka thing is absolutely hilarious, but you need to read the detailing blog first.:D

each to his own I suppose but such attention to detail is pointless on a car used on the road. I do go to town a bit when cleaning my bikes but they are fairwather toys.

Looks like fun though.

black olive
15th February 2009, 20:33
I find strange men quite scary

tonygardner
23rd February 2009, 07:45
that man has no life ,the paint work will get scratched as soon as he drives it down the road airboune grit ,at the end of the day its a vauxhall :shrug: