PDA

View Full Version : Flat Battery?

ColinB
12th February 2007, 08:39
Yesterday, the 75 wouldn't turn over. Instead it just clicked away and my wife said the dipped headlights flashed in time to the clicking.
Used my Halfords jump-starter thingie and she started ok. Went for a half hour drive, left it for a few hours and no problems starting for the return journey.
Do the headlights normally flash when the battery is flat or is it an indication of another problem?

Malcolmr
12th February 2007, 09:28
My headlights flashed when the battery died - wierd isn't it? You'd reckon that there wouldn't be enough charge left to do that! A new battery solved the problem.

raykay
12th February 2007, 09:30
No, it's one of the symptoms of a low battery. The 75/ZT is a bit fussy about the battery, with some cars the starter will churn over even if the battery is too low for it to start, the 75/ZT doesn't, it does exactly what you described.

baxlin
12th February 2007, 09:32
It seems so, yes.

I had a similar prob/symptoms, replacing the battery didn't work at first, so I put the car in gear and rocked it, as you would for a sticky starter motor. This cleared it, but my money is still on the battery, because of the headlights and clickings that went on, not associated with starter motor.

How old is the battery?

HTH
Malcolm

Edit: was typing (obviously too slowly!) when the other posts were appearing!!

Malcolmr
12th February 2007, 09:42
Mine was three years old when it failed.

Cheers...

ColinB
12th February 2007, 17:38
It seems so, yes.

I had a similar prob/symptoms, replacing the battery didn't work at first, so I put the car in gear and rocked it, as you would for a sticky starter motor. This cleared it, but my money is still on the battery, because of the headlights and clickings that went on, not associated with starter motor.

How old is the battery?

HTH
Malcolm

Edit: was typing (obviously too slowly!) when the other posts were appearing!!

The car is just over 3 years old but spent the 1st seven months sitting in a field somewhere, so that probably didn't help!

tony g
12th February 2007, 17:43
yeah its normal, mine did the same,time for a new battery.

Keith
12th February 2007, 18:20
It is a bit frustrating.

Chances are there is enough power in the battery to turn the engine over and start the car but the electronics are over sensitive hence the bizarre lighting effects

I get this happening all the time because we are only using the CDT for short journeys doing the school run so that is typically four starts a day in 10 miles!

By the end of the week the battery was on its last legs so I now use an accumate which takes seconds to connect up to the waterproof harness permanently fitted to the car to keep it tip top especially if I intend to use the parking heater every morning as well.

JohnDotCom
12th February 2007, 19:09
The Parking Heater combined with the Short Runs/Restarts must knock hell out of your Battery Keith. I know in this weather when we go down on the beach for coffee with Interior GloveBox Lights, TV/DVD on etc (whilst parked) the Battery does not like that after a couple of hours and would require a recharge if not for my long runs in between.

driverjgp
12th February 2007, 19:34
Yesterday, the 75 wouldn't turn over. Instead it just clicked away and my wife said the dipped headlights flashed in time to the clicking.
Used my Halfords jump-starter thingie and she started ok. Went for a half hour drive, left it for a few hours and no problems starting for the return journey.
Do the headlights normally flash when the battery is flat or is it an indication of another problem?

Yes that can happen, you would be surprised what low wattage and low amps can do.

driverjgp
12th February 2007, 19:37
The Parking Heater combined with the Short Runs/Restarts must knock hell out of your Battery Keith. I know in this weather when we go down on the beach for coffee with Interior GloveBox Lights, TV/DVD on etc (whilst parked) the Battery does not like that after a couple of hours and would require a recharge if not for my long runs in between.

Also when the heated window comes on automatically when the outside temp is below 10c that will pull you battery down over a period of time on short runs, but saying that if your battery is a good one it should take it, all these things will only highlight a rubbish battery.

ColinB
12th February 2007, 20:48
Looks like there's a trip to Halfords coming up then.:shrug:

Keith
12th February 2007, 22:21
I bought one from Halfords late 2005
As I mentioned above It is beginning to let me down now
If you can afford it get a premium battery like the Varta Ultra Dynamic
http://www.varta-automotive.com/eng/index2.php?p=2&s=1&content=produkte/starterbatterien/personenkraftwagen.html

ColinB
13th February 2007, 06:49
I bought one from Halfords late 2005
As I mentioned above It is beginning to let me down now
If you can afford it get a premium battery like the Varta Ultra Dynamic
http://www.varta-automotive.com/eng/index2.php?p=2&s=1&content=produkte/starterbatterien/personenkraftwagen.html

Thanks Keith, I'll look into it.

Aga
5th May 2007, 14:43
Mine had the dreaded clicking a couple of days ago. Jumped it and got it to garage. They said it was a boot light issue and promptly removed it!
Yesterday, it recurred and had to jump it again. Today I am not even getting the clicking and the key fob does not work.
Used the key to get into car and the alarm went off!
By the way, the car sat at Longbridge for six months from March 2005 until I collected it in Sept 2005. I have dome 51k miles and use it loads every day, so it should not be suffering from lying dormant.

Any advice?

Tim
5th May 2007, 15:04
Easy, knacker battery.

Pulling your leg on the light as it would have shown in the cabin as well. Both on the same loop.

tealandsilver
5th May 2007, 15:28
Interesting thread,especially as I had exactly the same last week. Car had been used for weekend away, travelled 150 miles and then parked on a steep incline for 3 days. Packed car to come home, jumped in and on attempting to start got the clicking as mentioned in thread. Had to call the RAC out as stuck in the middle of no-where. My car was first registered in Feb 2006, battery itself was 2 years old according to the date stamps. Have now replaced it but not entirely convinced that there wasn't a drain on it causing the issue. Favourite is my boot mounted CD changer which I noticed was whirring away and warm to touch even though ignition off. I have been having intermittent problems with a "no Changer" message being displayed every so often. I've kept the old battery as it may yet come in handy....

regards,

David

Tim
5th May 2007, 16:11
Interesting thread,especially as I had exactly the same last week. Car had been used for weekend away, travelled 150 miles and then parked on a steep incline for 3 days. Packed car to come home, jumped in and on attempting to start got the clicking as mentioned in thread. Had to call the RAC out as stuck in the middle of no-where. My car was first registered in Feb 2006, battery itself was 2 years old according to the date stamps. Have now replaced it but not entirely convinced that there wasn't a drain on it causing the issue. Favourite is my boot mounted CD changer which I noticed was whirring away and warm to touch even though ignition off. I have been having intermittent problems with a "no Changer" message being displayed every so often. I've kept the old battery as it may yet come in handy....

regards,

David

Loads of stuff about the changer on here but you need to wait with the boot up and the doors shut for a few mins before seeing if the unit shuts down. :)

Aga
5th May 2007, 17:41
Interestingly enough, Halfrauds stated that they do not supply a suitable battery for my car! I did not think the battery requirements were that unique!

By the way, I have a boot changer as well, but I cannot check it just yet as it is totally dead.

Tim
5th May 2007, 18:55
Interestingly enough, Halfrauds stated that they do not supply a suitable battery for my car! I did not think the battery requirements were that unique!

By the way, I have a boot changer as well, but I cannot check it just yet as it is totally dead.

They do do a battery for your car. I've got one in my ZT. There is a mini ring folder next to the batties be in there under Rover 75. Two types, pay a bit more and go for the four year one about £85ish

Aga
5th May 2007, 19:20
I rang them up and they stated they did not do one! Strange!

Tim
5th May 2007, 19:30
Don't make me take all my stuff out to get the ref number for you. Not like you normal people I've got a spare wheel etc in the way.

HCB 096 is the reference you are after. :)

http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/5/12415433486.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5388472)

JohnDotCom
5th May 2007, 19:42
Thats the problem with the Weekend and Bank Holiday staff, they don't check properly!