PDA

View Full Version : Dried on Crud

The Yellow Peril
26th November 2008, 07:47
Hi

I've just bought a 75 Tourer that has been standing somewhere in Bermuda for 5 years. It's appearance is generally good apart from some fading of bonnet and boot badges etc. The paintwork is undamaged and needs some TLC to bring it up to snuf.

I have been able to remove the chromework tarnish with a simple metal polish but there are some other areas, any place with a narrow gap - eg, below trim, body panel folds etc, where gunge has penetrated and dried to a rock hard finish. I think this is mostly sand although now it looks and feels like cement.

Can you suggest the best - least damaging way to remove/disolve this baked on dirt please, without damaging the finish?

Regards

Andrew

GERFIX
26th November 2008, 07:58
Megiuars All Purpose Cleaner gets a good write-up for stubborn dirt and Tesco Daisy Lemon APC gets a mention too.

Have a look here (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/search.php?searchid=3886863) for some info on APCs.

Greeners
26th November 2008, 08:22
Go for Tesco's APC (Daisy), mix it 50:50, spray on, leave to soak then agitate with a brush. May need several applications.

Corwen
26th November 2008, 11:40
ANDREW,WHAT COLOUR HAVE WE THIS TIME ??:shrug:

kevin
26th November 2008, 16:36

pic in post 14. in this link

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=255632#post255632

The Yellow Peril
26th November 2008, 22:55

White Gold, with touches of caked on dirt, but beautiful nonetheless

Andy

typhoon 180
27th November 2008, 07:43
try a clay bar see if that shifts it

deano78
29th November 2008, 08:24
try a clay bar see if that shifts it

i'd try removing it chemically before going down that route. if it is dried on sand no matter how much lube you use you're going to induce a far old amount of marring to the paint. unless you're going to follow with a machine polish, i'd soak in APC first see if that shifts it.