PDA

View Full Version : MOT and service-the verdict

lady zed
12th February 2007, 17:08
What a day I've had. Hubby set off for Edinburgh this morning in his new (second hand) untested Renault Megane Scenic. I head to the garage to put the 75 in for a service and mot. Leave the little person with my parents. Get a taxi back from the garage to pick up said little person, don't have any cash so ask the driver to stop at the bank. The bank says no. Thank goodness for parents.

Get to my parents house and get a phone call from hubby, 40 miles from home on the M8, the megane has decided to drop it's engine oil and the engine is seized solid. He asks me to bring him oil in the hope of unsiezing it. Ha ha. Anyway, I duly oblige, borrowing my Dads car, a Suzuki Alto and head the 40 odd miles to get him. Get there, he puts in the oil then brings out a towrope. By this point I'm having palpatations. So I have to tow a Renault Megane in a Suzuki Altofor 2 miles down the hard shoulder of the motorway to the nearest service station, thank God it ws only 2 miles. I spent the whole time praying out loud, my face must have been a picture. Didn't tell my Dad, he's annoyed enough I used all his windscreen washer?????

Anyway, come home, hubby is complaining about his wrist, he had an op on it last week to fix a previous scar from a couple of months ago. So we go to the doctor along with the little person who's had sickness and diorreha since Thurs. Hubby has now got intensive antibiotics to take overnight and to go back tomorrow morning, if no improvement it's straight to the hospital to go on a drip and get the wound opened back up. The little person is on a diet of ice lollies and I've been given a sample jar if anymore bottom end stuff. Hubby is now away with his mates to try and move that bloomin megane, paying no attention to the fact that he could end up seriously ill if that infection gets any worse.

Anyway, you may wonder what this is doing in the technical section! The only good thing about the day was that the only phone call I had about the 75 was to pick it up, yippee!!!! I've been given a list of advisory's which is as follows:

1. Oil leak from power steering pump
2. Both front lower arm bushes are split and need replaced
3. NSF indicator lens cracked, they advise new. I bought it like that!!!
4. Front wipers slightly smearing, never noticed that myself.
5. Engine oil leak, requires clean up and recheck. Explains a lot.
6. Advise A/C anti bacterial spray. Is that them saying my car smells?
7. Service light can only be put out by Rover diagnostic equipment. Again, I bought it like that.

Well done for reading this far! The wipers I can deal with, perhaps even the indicator lens, the power steering pump should be covered by the warranty, as hopefully should the oil leak, but looks like I'll need to shell out for the bushes as that's wear and tear. And considering I can't get to my house without going over several speed bumps it's not surprising they've split.

What a day. :o

lady zed
12th February 2007, 17:11
Oh and the dodgy starter motor.......apparently they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

JohnDotCom
12th February 2007, 17:37
Sorry to Hear your Bad Day......But.....Tomorrows another day.
A lot of that was not a MOT Failure though so thats Good News.

Keith
12th February 2007, 18:42
So it did pass the MOT then?
If so obviously you have a few jobs to do but not yet!

JohnDotCom
12th February 2007, 18:52
A Pass with Split Lower Arm Bushes, leaky Power Steering Pump & iffy wipers? The miserable Station here wouldn't. Where's your MOT Test Station Scoot? Might need it one day, not due for my 1st MOT on MGR75 for another year or so yet.

lady zed
12th February 2007, 19:39
Yeah, it passed! :D

driverjgp
12th February 2007, 19:43
I say, what a day, could of been worse though, your big ends could of drop out too. :p:

Lates
12th February 2007, 19:49
What is an anti bac note doing being mentioned on a mot ?

Rich
12th February 2007, 19:52
I didn't think the service light was relevant either?

Still, glad it passed ok scooterchick!

lady zed
13th February 2007, 08:27
Hi,

They were all advisorys on the service sheet cos it got serviced at the same time. I paid for my MOT's and Services in advance when I bought the car, so I didn't have to part with a penny yesterday. Do you think maybe that made the difference between a pass and a fail? Ie they would have been liable to fix anything under the warranty, they didn't have time so just passed it?

I thought the spilt bushes would have been an automatic fail too.

GreyGhost
13th February 2007, 09:09
Hi,

They were all advisorys on the service sheet cos it got serviced at the same time. I paid for my MOT's and Services in advance when I bought the car, so I didn't have to part with a penny yesterday. Do you think maybe that made the difference between a pass and a fail? Ie they would have been liable to fix anything under the warranty, they didn't have time so just passed it?

I thought the spilt bushes would have been an automatic fail too.

That's a good deal you have there. I would have thought the bushes were a fail. I suggest you have word with the service manager.

Neil Coupland
13th February 2007, 12:16
Wow Scoot

Just read all of this, have you thought of selling it as a plot line for a TV soap?
I agree with GG re the split bushes, and would have expected them to fail.

Hope it all gets sorted out

lady zed
13th February 2007, 16:34
Wow Scoot

Just read all of this, have you thought of selling it as a plot line for a TV soap?
I agree with GG re the split bushes, and would have expected them to fail.

Hope it all gets sorted out

LOL! Neil, you have no idea. This is only the tip of the iceberg, I wish I kept a journal, if my life was a soap plot people would say it was far fetched. My work mates are always waiting with baited breath for the next exciting installment of the saga that is my life.

Anyway, the next episode is that hubby is in hospital where he'll stay for the next few days. He's had a chest x-ray (???) and he's to be hooked up to get antibiotics intravenously. Not sure if they're going to open the wrist up or try and deal with the infection and see how things go. His mates are going to try and retrieve the Scenic tonight or tomorrow after an unsuccessful attempt last night which resulted in the gearbox falling out and smashing to bits.

As for the 75, in the hospital carpark this afternoon the starter went funny again, so I phoned the garage and let them hear it as I was trying to switch it on. It's booked to go in on Fri which will probably co-incide with hubby getting out of hospital. May as well get the power steering pump fixed at the same time and best get those bushes done.

So, that's coffee time nearly over, time to get a bag ready to take up the hospital.

Anna xxx

GreyGhost
13th February 2007, 16:38
I think I may have to move this thread into the social forum and rename it "Life with Scooterchick" :D :pillow:

lady zed
13th February 2007, 20:51
I think I may have to move this thread into the social forum and rename it "Life with Scooterchick" :D :pillow:

LOL!!! Yeah, I should have a blog.

JohnDotCom
14th February 2007, 08:19
LOL!!! Yeah, I should have a blog.

Yea Start a Blog Scoot, a Interesting daily read.
Then get spotted by Channel 4 they start a Soap they need you to continue to have this lifestyle so then..........

Nick Hoare
14th February 2007, 16:13
Which channel will "Scooterchick Street" be on ? :)

lady zed
14th February 2007, 21:12
:D Channel Rover........

Rich
14th February 2007, 22:18
My work mates are always waiting with baited breath for the next exciting installment of the saga that is my life.

Us too if we're honest Anna :)

Get that blog sorted eh ;)

Truck-Driver
11th January 2009, 10:34
While doing a search for a power steering pump, this thread came up.

So how is the Megane? How is the infection and more to the point, how is the little person since his world fell out of his bottom?

The exciting world of Scooterchick had me laughing out loud @:wss:

sworks
11th January 2009, 11:22
Hi Anna, i think you need a holliday! lol. The power steering leak is deemed a fail only if it is sufficient enough fot it to 'drop' on the floor! residue or surface stuff is an advise. The bushes can be split and be an advise, it's down to the tester to decide how bad they are and would they fail 'in service'. Service light and aircon as you say were probably service 'advise' issues and shouldn't be on the mot advise sheet. I thought you had got rid of the 75? If it is still under warranty from when you bought it i would be asking them to look at everything

afcbadam
11th January 2009, 17:30
all in all then anna a really good day. :bowdown:

Kandyman
11th January 2009, 18:54
Chick made this post in February 2007 so i should hope that all is well by now ;)

sworks
11th January 2009, 19:18
It's been one of those few days for me - seemed to have missed loads of posts! didn't realise i was 2 year out

Kandyman
11th January 2009, 19:21
It's been one of those few days for me - seemed to have missed loads of posts! didn't realise i was 2 year out

Just put it down to the cold weather ;)

lady zed
22nd January 2009, 07:30
Before I traded the car in the power steering pump, the starter motor and front and back bushes were all repaired. The only thing that was never discovered was the oil leak. I miss that car. If I'd kept it and hadn't bought that big tourer I'd probably still be driving a 75.

JohnDotCom
22nd January 2009, 07:38
Hi Anna, Good to see you about. :)
Hows the new Jalopy going?
Still well I hope.

justmicky
22nd January 2009, 09:44
Hi Anna, Good to see you about. :)
Hows the new Jalopy going?
Still well I hope.

Ditto, and hows the ciggies going?

lady zed
22nd January 2009, 16:33
The car is great, I put £30 of diesel in once a month, I love it! And yes, still off the fags although I had to join weight watchers last night! How you doing Mickey?

Miss you guys esp John :D

justmicky
22nd January 2009, 17:36
Thats great news Anna about the cigs. I am doin fine, especially since my ol' mate has also sort of stuck to giving them up...the engine control room here is a far pleasenter environment in which to work.
Keep it up...its worth it.:clap: