PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Rover 75 2.5 kv6 ,need to remove fuel pump with a full tank of fuel?

myrova
15th August 2019, 14:19
Hi Folks
I had just filled the car up full when the pump ceased to pump,I am worried that when I undo the ring securing the pump fuel is going to flood out,please advise as I have siphoned out of the filler tube but cant get anymore out.all advise gratefully received.

Kind Regards Dan

Kev75
15th August 2019, 15:22
can you jack up on the pump side? might be able to syphon more out, may also stop flooding out.
Kev

SD1too
15th August 2019, 15:32
Hi FolksI had just filled the car up full when the pump ceased to pump ...
Dan, have you carried out any tests since the RAC man hit the tank with a mallet to confirm that the pump isn't running? Have you ruled out the crankshaft sensor and pump relay?

Simon

myrova
16th August 2019, 00:39
Thanks for the replies,I will try to jack one side to see if I can siphon more out,
The reason I went for changing the fuel pump before checking other causes is because I had a brand new one sitting on the shelf.
Unfortunately it happened just after I left the petrol station.

Thanks again Kind Regards Dan

Mickyboy
16th August 2019, 07:46
A simple not complicated way of doing it is to get yourself a petrol can and a hand siphon pump, they sell hand siphon pumps quite often in places like pets at home for psyching out indoor fish tanks, remove both inspection panels under the rear seats and undo the sealing ring, gently lift the pump up and send the siphon pump tube down the side, then just hand pump it into a petrol can so you can reuse it later
Mick

SD1too
16th August 2019, 08:10
The reason I went for changing the fuel pump before checking other causes is because I had a brand new one sitting on the shelf.
Dan,

Wouldn't it make sense to be sure that your fuel pump is actually faulty before embarking upon the unpleasant job of partially draining your fuel tank?

Initially, all you have to do is to turn on the ignition whilst listening for the pump priming the system for a few seconds, with the seat cushion raised obviously.

Simon