PDA

View Full Version : 75 saloon con 1.8T auto - Indicator failure

adellesdad
13th February 2007, 12:41
Please can anyone help, this problem started as intermittent, now constant - front and rear off-side indicators not working, wing indicator is working, I don't think the bulbs have blown as all indicators flash when I remote lock the car.

Also the off-side dipped beam has stopped working - This may be a seperate problem I haven't checked the bulb yet.

Kandyman
13th February 2007, 12:59
Hi there adellesdad

Welcome to the forums, dont forget to check out our web site as well www.the75andztclub.co.uk.

Have a read of this thread and see if it helps http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=606&highlight=bumper+wire

"posted something on .org a while ago after front sidelight failure on 2002 car... and it wasn't the bulb. Subman posted that he had had same, with loss of the headlamp adjustment, and that 2 wires had chafed through.
I stripped bumper off and indeed, the up-pointing body seam on the horizontal, front facing member just under the headlight has no rubber protection on the drivers side whilst it does on the other... my red/orange sidelight had completely severed and the thicker blue/black motor wire was shorting onto the body seam. The problem is compounded when the bumper is taken off/headlight out and not put back carefully. One needs to move the loom into a place where it isnt crushed against this body seam. I've put rubber tubing, split open along one side, along the entire seam after fixing the wires and retaping the loom.
Remember to check this next time you're doing your cooling fan!
(p.s. The guidance notes about removing the bumper are great - but you really DO need to protect the wings against scratching them.. it's not just written there for 'other people'...!)"

adellesdad
13th February 2007, 13:00
Please can you help me, this problem started out as intermittent, but is now constant - The front and rear off-side indicators are not working, but the wing indicator is. When I remote lock the car the indicators flash. The on board computer shows bulb failure.

Also this may be a seperate problem but the off-side dipped beam has stopped working, I haven't yet checked the bulb.

Any ideas ?

Simon
13th February 2007, 13:08
Hello adellesdad and welcome to the club and the forums!

Interesting problem you describe. To begin your faullt-finding then check the following:

1. Battery - old or batteries in poor condition will manifest sporadic electrical faults and behaviours
2. ECU Plenum Drain (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto and scroll down to Unblocking Drainage Channels PDF) A water-logged ECU will cause no ends of problems. Get this checked pronto if you haven't already done so
3. Wiring inside the wings - Chaffed wiring inside the wings/bumper of the car can show electrical problems. Often with headlamps, but worth checking anyhow. NB: You'll need bendy arms and hands plus good light to see what's what. Taking the bumper off is easier but this in itself requires a fair amount of effort (See above PDF list for bumper removal)
4. T4 diagnostics - Dealership diagnostics on the T4 equipment will throw any fault codes if none of the above seem to find a proberbal cause. If this is required then let us know what fault codes the computer produces as some may be minor and easily fixed without spending money at the garage.

Someone else may well write something more useful (they usually do, and they are usually Keith ;) )

Hope this helps :)

GreyGhost
13th February 2007, 13:45
Threads merged as virtually duplicate.

pondweed
13th February 2007, 15:05
get your bumper off!
you are going to do damage to your loom and associated expensive componentry if you are chafing.. and it doesnt cost any money to fix, other than a roll of insulation tape....
Test your cooling fan prior so you can sort that at the same time...

Simon
13th February 2007, 20:43
Threads merged as virtually duplicate.

You noticed that too. For a minute - I was thinking I was going mad when reading through the forums! :twonk:

Back on topic... Keep us informed adellesdad on how things progress and if you need further help/information :)

adellesdad
14th February 2007, 08:09
Thanks Simon, Plenum drain blocked below the ECU, indicators now working, front lamp bulb must be blown, - Thanks to the others for their suggestions and appologies for sending the message twice - This is my first 75 and I love the interior and the smooth ride, I will be doing 50k in it before xmas and will keep you posted on any other gliches - in the meantime I would really love to fit cruise control, is this easy enough ? would the wiring and connectors be already in place on a Connoisseur SE ?

Simon
14th February 2007, 14:06
in the meantime I would really love to fit cruise control, is this easy enough ? would the wiring and connectors be already in place on a Connoisseur SE ?

In a word:- No.

In several words:- You need all the relevant wiring looms plus control boxes to be present (or installed by yourself as a retrofit). You then will need to buy a cruise-enabled steering wheel or modify your own to take the cruise controls. These bits are the easy bit. Where it all comes unstuck is enabling all of the cars different control units to talk to each other. This (currently) we cannot do as it involves generating a new set of codes (ZCS codes) based upon your cars configuration. This is the bit we have no way of doing. A couple of options are available to do this but it usually involves large expenditure and is not tried-and-tested so no guarentees of it working :(

Several members are looking into this coding problem but it is not a straightforward process. I'm sure one day we'll crack it and then cruise retrofits (along with other things) will be much easier to accomplish.

If you're not worried about an original cruise control set-up then you may like to consider some of the aftermarket versions on offer. Although they wont "match in" with your buttons/dials etc they could be a little easier to install by a competent garage/yourself.

Hope this hasn't put you off! ;) :)

GreyGhost
14th February 2007, 20:35
If you are looking for aftermarket cruise, this is the setup that I fancy, given £400.00 to spend. :)
http://www.conrad-anderson.co.uk/cruisecontrols/CM25-stalkcommandmodule.htm