PDA

View Full Version : Front fan rattle

MissMoppet
6th October 2019, 16:35
Front fan has started chattering (on 127K miles). Presumably bearing going, so no cure except replace? Looks a pig of a job and little point in buying a S/H one as I intend keeping it till St Peter calls me - or The Revolution happens, whichever comes first . . .

Arctic
6th October 2019, 21:43
Front fan has started chattering (on 127K miles). Presumably bearing going, so no cure except replace? Looks a pig of a job and little point in buying a S/H one as I intend keeping it till St Peter calls me - or The Revolution happens, whichever comes first . . .

Hi Dave.
On which car is the fan chattering ? diesel or 2.5 petrol you have in you signature, try getting to our last Nano meet 19th 20th October there you will find help.

SD1too
7th October 2019, 08:07
Front fan has started chattering ... Presumably bearing going ...
Try to resist making assumptions Dave. I don't remember anyone suffering fan motor bearing failure before. There have been one or two instances of the plastic fan blades loosening on the motor spindle's bayonet-style fitting though.

Simon

MissMoppet
7th October 2019, 11:56
[QUOTE]E]

Hi Dave.
On which car is the fan chattering ? diesel or 2.5 petrol you have in you signature, try getting to our last Nano meet 19th 20th October there you will find help.The ole diesel. Nano meet: Midlands somewhere? (I'm in Zummerzet).

MissMoppet
7th October 2019, 11:59
[QUOTE]E]

Hi Dave.
On which car is the fan chattering ? diesel or 2.5 petrol you have in you signature, try getting to our last Nano meet 19th 20th October there you will find help.Try to resist making assumptions Dave. I don't remember anyone suffering fan motor bearing failure before. There have been one or two instances of the plastic fan blades loosening on the motor spindle's bayonet-style fitting though.

Simon

That's encouraging . . . I believe the dealer had to change the fan when I bought it, 60K miles ago, so tempted to agree but? Perhaps I'll try getting a socket on the spindle?

SD1too
7th October 2019, 12:03
Perhaps I'll try getting a socket on the spindle?
I'm not sure what you mean by that Dave. It's a bayonet fitting so no socket required, just hands! :}

Simon

Arctic
7th October 2019, 14:27
[QUOTE=Arctic;2767087]The ole diesel. Nano meet: Midlands somewhere? (I'm in Zummerzet).

Hi Dave yes people have travelled further than Taunton to come to the meets, we even have some international members join us ;)

MissMoppet
7th October 2019, 16:35
I'm not sure what you mean by that Dave. It's a bayonet fitting so no socket required, just hands! :}

Simon

Ah: all I can see is a nut . . . (maybe me).

Arctic
7th October 2019, 17:34
[QUOTE=Arctic;2767087]

That's encouraging . . . I believe the dealer had to change the fan when I bought it, 60K miles ago, so tempted to agree but? Perhaps I'll try getting a socket on the spindle?

Simon

Ah: all I can see is a nut . . . (maybe me).

The spindle nut is used with a thin walled 15mm socket to hold the fan motor still while you remove & re-fit the fan blades ;)

Arctic
7th October 2019, 17:57
This will help you also ;)

https://youtu.be/ls1BJGxUoPo

MissMoppet
8th October 2019, 08:31
Steve: right just seen your YouTube epic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls1BJGxUoPo&feature=youtu.be. So quite possibly chattering noise is summat rattling around the bushes? It runs OK, just don't like the noise of Things To Come.