PDA

View Full Version : Smoking!

Pueblo_Boy
6th October 2019, 20:40
...and I don't mean in a nice way!
I have just driven all the way from Central Scotland to the Costa del Sol, Spain. I noticed about half way down, the exhaust was pumping out clouds of black smoke when the engine was stressed - heavy acceleration, or going up big hills. Otherwise, it performed impeccably.
I suspect something is awry with the turbo (it's a CDTi engine)? Any advice? Will it make it back home, or should I attempt to get it fixed here in Spain, given it is in reality a BMW engine?
I was also disappointed with the mpg, but then I suppose over 40mpg at speeds of 70mph or more is not too bad...

marinabrian
6th October 2019, 20:43
...and I don't mean in a nice way!
I have just driven all the way from Central Scotland to the Costa del Sol, Spain. I noticed about half way down, the exhaust was pumping out clouds of black smoke when the engine was stressed - heavy acceleration, or going up big hills. Otherwise, it performed impeccably.
I suspect something is awry with the turbo (it's a CDTi engine)? Any advice? Will it make it back home, or should I attempt to get it fixed here in Spain, given it is in reality a BMW engine?
I was also disappointed with the mpg, but then I suppose over 40mpg at speeds of 70mph or more is not too bad...

Fuel consumption is poor, very poor, and the black smoke is indicative of a leak in the intake system.

Check the intercooler hoses, and the intercooler elbow to ensure the O rings haven't popped ;)

Brian :D

Rogue
6th October 2019, 20:43
Check the intercooler O rings...

Pueblo_Boy
6th October 2019, 20:48
Fuel consumption is poor, very poor, and the black smoke is indicative of a leak in the intake system.

Check the intercooler hoses, and the intercooler elbow to ensure the O rings haven't popped ;)

That was quick!

Astraeus just replaced the intercooler rings for me last week or so, and the old ones were in perfect condition! I'll have a local garage check out the pipes to search for the problem - I will be delighted if it is just a loose pipe!

As for the fuel consumption...very costly over a near 2000 mile journey, not part of the plan! On the way down from Scotland to Portsmouth it avearged 44.8mpg for the nearly all motorway trip, but that figure worsened considerably once into France... :(

marinabrian
6th October 2019, 21:02
That was quick!

Astraeus just replaced the intercooler rings for me last week or so, and the old ones were in perfect condition! I'll have a local garage check out the pipes to search for the problem - I will be delighted if it is just a loose pipe!

As for the fuel consumption...very costly over a near 2000 mile journey, not part of the plan! On the way down from Scotland to Portsmouth it avearged 44.8mpg for the nearly all motorway trip, but that figure worsened considerably once into France... :(

Well to put that into context John, I've covered 2300 miles in my car in the past ten days, and my consumption is just over 50 MPG fully laden, and not hanging about ;)

Same state of tune too ;)

Pueblo_Boy
6th October 2019, 21:09
Well to put that into context John, I've covered 2300 miles in my car in the past ten days, and my consumption is just over 50 MPG fully laden, and not hanging about ;)

Same state of tune too ;)

Ooof! Then I have lost out big time. Mind you, part of the problem may be my fault - in the rush to get going, I forgot to check my tyre pressures :( But still, I'm losing out on around 15mpg...

Pueblo_Boy
10th October 2019, 19:59
The local garage mechanic had a look, and saw that the pipe that enters the intercooler was loose. He tightened it up, but reckoned that the whole intercooler was skewed to one side, like it had taken a knock or something...so he reckons I might need a replacement intercooler; he suggested I drive around for a week and see how it goes, before he has to strip it down to check the intercooler for damage...

He said he scrapped an MG diesel like mine last week, from 2001, and he also reckoned that the intercooler was 'round the other way' - with the pipework on the left as you look at it from the front, rather than on the right like mine...does anyone know if the MG equivalent intercooler is different? The MG is probably still at the local scrapyard, so I might be in luck if I need one, and if they are the same. That's a lot of 'ifs'! There's not too many cars like mine running around the Costa del Sol! Funnily enough, when I was near Irun in the north of Spain, I thought I spied a Tourer just like mine going in the opposite direction :) It was like driving into a mirror...

So, please, does an MG from 2001 have the same intercooler as my 2004 Rover? Fingers crossed...

BigRuss
10th October 2019, 20:05
The intercoolers on both the Rover and MG are the same ;)

Sounds like there might be some damage to the intercooler from what the mechanic said, that would certainly account for the smoke issue ;)

Russ

trikey
10th October 2019, 20:09

Sounds like there might be some damage to the intercooler from what the mechanic said, that would certainly account for the smoke issue ;)

Russ

Yep, check the small plastic mounting bracket at the end of the intercooler, I have known a few of these to crack and draw air in to the system.

Number 6
10th October 2019, 20:20
He said he scrapped an MG diesel like mine last week, from 2001, and he also reckoned that the intercooler was 'round the other way' - with the pipework on the left as you look at it from the front, rather than on the right like mine...does anyone know if the MG equivalent intercooler is different?

As you look at the front of the car the intercooler outlet is on the right..

As an aside, My replacement engine after a few miles started to chuck out a lot of black smoke . I traced this to the intercooler jubilee clip not being tightened up when it was refitted and the pipe half off Tightened it up and all was fine.;)

Comfortably Numb
10th October 2019, 20:30
My 2001 CDT (115PS) did over 25,000 miles last year, 50%+ high speed (ahem) motorway driving, the rest in mixed driving (so not all top gear) and returned 49mpg overall and it never produces black smoke, unless you try to accelerate hard from low revs, which I have only done in error. I am told that giving it a T4 tweak to 131PS, like a CDTi, improves fuel consumption as well, so I'm saving my pennies to give Brian a visit before Christmas. Let's hope it doesn't snow, like last time I was going to see him!

Pueblo_Boy
10th October 2019, 20:36
Yep, check the small plastic mounting bracket at the end of the intercooler, I have known a few of these to crack and draw air in to the system.

If it turns out to be that "small plastic mounting bracket", is it repairable/replaceable? I'm tempted to just get the intercooler off the scrapped MG, as it's a bit more of a drag to get my car stripped and checked out and then have to drive to a scrapyard in Malaga than to just buy it in the first place...but then, being Scottish (and a poor pensioner!), wasting money on something I don't need will stick in the craw...

I suspect I'll be back to belching out black smoke sooner rather than later...so a proper fix is required, especially as I will be driving back fully laden all the way home...

trikey
10th October 2019, 20:49
A replacement intercooler is far better than trying to repair the damage should it be that. The plastic of the intercooler is difficult to repair, especially after its had diesel over it.

Number 6
11th October 2019, 07:32
If it turns out to be that "small plastic mounting bracket", is it repairable/replaceable? I'm tempted to just get the intercooler off the scrapped MG, as it's a bit more of a drag to get my car stripped and checked out and then have to drive to a scrapyard in Malaga than to just buy it in the first place...but then, being Scottish (and a poor pensioner!), wasting money on something I don't need will stick in the craw...

I suspect I'll be back to belching out black smoke sooner rather than later...so a proper fix is required, especially as I will be driving back fully laden all the way home...

You will more than likely save most of the cost of the Intercooler by getting More MPG on the way home to Scotland and without the likely hood of being pulled over for producing a Smokescreen behind you;)

Pueblo_Boy
11th October 2019, 16:30
I visited the scrapyards in Malaga (of which there are 10+ all next to each other in an industrial estate), and picked up the 'new' intercooler for 40 euros. The donor car was agood looking MG ZT, right-hand drive, Spanish plates, and the underside looked clean and shiny...I was almost wishing I needed a new exhaust or something else! :} That was a result, as I don't think Rovers/MG were ever imported into Spain, so pretty rare to find.

The scrapyards are all computerised now - they can find any car, with 200+ parts listed on each one, so they know if a part has been sold or not. Takes the hunting around trying to find your car out of service!

So, intercooler to be fitted next Wednesday, I hope that solves the problem, and I can have a worry free journey home (after soaking up some more sun - bit of a heatwave going on down here for mid-October!)

clf
12th October 2019, 13:48
I visited the scrapyards in Malaga (of which there are 10+ all next to each other in an industrial estate), and picked up the 'new' intercooler for 40 euros. The donor car was agood looking MG ZT, right-hand drive, Spanish plates, and the underside looked clean and shiny...I was almost wishing I needed a new exhaust or something else! :} That was a result, as I don't think Rovers/MG were ever imported into Spain, so pretty rare to find.

The scrapyards are all computerised now - they can find any car, with 200+ parts listed on each one, so they know if a part has been sold or not. Takes the hunting around trying to find your car out of service!

So, intercooler to be fitted next Wednesday, I hope that solves the problem, and I can have a worry free journey home (after soaking up some more sun - bit of a heatwave going on down here for mid-October!)Before going to the trouble of replacing the intercooler. Check that the elbow is correctly seated. I always thought mine was until I checked whilst the bumper was off. Bumper off and headlight removed, allowed me to push it down until there was a 'thunk'. After that there was slightly more power and the gunk behind the bumper stopped.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Pueblo_Boy
15th October 2019, 11:54
OK, the intercooler replacement got put back till tomorrow :( Can anyone tell me how long it should take a mechanic to do the job? Presumably, it involves draining the system as well as removing bumper and radiator...

Should I clean the second-hand intercooler first? It has been leaking oil all over my boot, and maybe a jetwash would be good for it, although it doesn't look too bad...

Arctic
17th October 2019, 08:09

Russ

OK, the intercooler replacement got put back till tomorrow :( Can anyone tell me how long it should take a mechanic to do the job? Presumably, it involves draining the system as well as removing bumper and radiator...

Should I clean the second-hand intercooler first? It has been leaking oil all over my boot, and maybe a jetwash would be good for it, although it doesn't look too bad...

Yes clean the intercooler out while you can make sure its dry before fitting it, it should take about 2 hours to remove the old one and fit the replacement, bumper off, slam panel off, fan off, then the intercooler.

PS Russ I have sent you a PM regarding something else, Also Brian :D

T-Cut
17th October 2019, 08:59
He said he scrapped an MG diesel like mine last week, from 2001, and he also reckoned that the intercooler was 'round the other way' - with the pipework on the left as you look at it from the front

How can that be without a considerable alteration to the pipework?
A standard intercooler can't be fitted left to right using the standard hose, so be sure it's the correct part.

TC

Pueblo_Boy
17th October 2019, 09:11
Yes clean the intercooler out while you can make sure its dry before fitting it, it should take about 2 hours to remove the old one and fit the replacement, bumper off, slam panel off, fan off, then the intercooler.

PS Russ I have sent you a PM regarding something else, Also Brian :D

So, no need to remove the radiator? And how do I clean the intercooler - just jet spray it at the car wash? I think you said before to clean it using brake fluid?
Sorry to be so ignorant on mechanical matters...but better to ask than make a silly mistake! Fitting has been put back until later today...

T-Cut
17th October 2019, 09:18
- - - how do I clean the intercooler - just jet spray it at the car wash? I think you said before to clean it using brake fluid?

Get a bottle of engine degreaser, it's made for the job.
eBay:https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=engine+degeaser&_sacat=0

TC

Pueblo_Boy
17th October 2019, 17:18
Finally done!

The plastic lugs on the intercooler, which are used to afix it more securely to the radiator, were completely missing on my original intercooler. And the rings were not in the right place either...the air was getting in at that point...so just as well I had bought the second-hand intercooler to fit!

So, apart from a little black smoke remaining to be shot out, all done! I'm getting full power again! The mechanics were not impressed that the mapping had boosted the power available to 160hp...they reckoned that would shorten the life of the engine. Since I generally don't boot my car around at every opportunity, I think it will last long enough. Any 'moon' members got the 160hp mapping in their engines?

bl52krz
17th October 2019, 17:48
I am sure there are a few in the club with over 300,000 miles on the clock with the update.

Comfortably Numb
17th October 2019, 18:02
I'm hoping a T4 remap will get mine to the Moon cheaper and quicker! (But only just over half way there at the mo'!)

marinabrian
17th October 2019, 21:35
Finally done!

The plastic lugs on the intercooler, which are used to afix it more securely to the radiator, were completely missing on my original intercooler. And the rings were not in the right place either...the air was getting in at that point...so just as well I had bought the second-hand intercooler to fit!

So, apart from a little black smoke remaining to be shot out, all done! I'm getting full power again! The mechanics were not impressed that the mapping had boosted the power available to 160hp...they reckoned that would shorten the life of the engine. Since I generally don't boot my car around at every opportunity, I think it will last long enough. Any 'moon' members got the 160hp mapping in their engines?

I've no issues personally with a cumulative 250000 miles in 160 form, and the highest miler I've upgraded was just shy of 600000 :eek:

When the 160 was being developed, the intention was not to tune out reliability, but to increase driveability something that was achieved.