PDA

View Full Version : hadbrake

robeire
25th October 2019, 22:16
hi chaps,

i failed my test today, its not bad. every repair i have done to my beloved has passed thanks to our forum .
thing is my handbrake wont hold enough to pass :duh:
my donor car is 2004 the hand break is jolly good .
my question is can i just swap the discs and pads to make it hold?
please forgive me if this has been asked before i searched and did not find the answer :o

thank you

rob

trikey
25th October 2019, 22:18
New discs and handbrake shoes, plus a modified compensator and the correct adjustment will have the handbrake better than when it left the factory.

robeire
25th October 2019, 22:56
New discs and handbrake shoes, plus a modified compensator and the correct adjustment will have the handbrake better than when it left the factory.
thanks will do

were do i get the mod

Arctic
26th October 2019, 00:30
Hi Rob.
Some good reading for the weekend ;) change the compensator and you should be ok to get through your MOT every year.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=153360&page=31

macafee2
26th October 2019, 07:12
I have seen the area of the brake disc where the handbrake shoes make contact so badly pitted that no amount of adjustment would have gotten the handbrake to hold.
New discs were required, old shoes may work but if badly worn new would be better

macafee2

Arctic
26th October 2019, 07:19
I have seen the area of the brake disc where the handbrake shoes make contact so badly pitted that no amount of adjustment would have gotten the handbrake to hold.
New discs were required, old shoes may work but if badly worn new would be better

macafee2

:iagree: :wot: at least the brake drum discs needs to be removed to clean out, if shoes are required click the link below ;)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-REAR-HANDBRAKE-SHOES-FITTING-KIT-CLIPS-SPRINGS-NEW-SET/303260234986

patrolman pete
26th October 2019, 11:02
If you want a handbrake that works you'll need to track down some TRW handbrake shoes. I struggled every year with my tourer just scraping through with handbrake effort even with the modded compensator and quality handbrake shoes from a motor factor. The day before the MOT I'd adjust the shoes at the drums because I knew that after a few days it wouldn't hold on the bank nearby so that if the traffic lights were on red you were going to be in trouble. I sourced the shoes on Ebay as a recommendation from Jules and the handbrake locks the wheels solid with little effort on the handbrake.

They are no longer available on Ebay so I did a search and tracked down a set in Germany for £33 delivered ( the Ebay ones were £27) to fit to my connie auto . I don't use the handbrake preferring just to put it into park or just using the footbrake in neutral when sat at lights but a good handbrake is a legal requirement for an emergency brake and I don't want my brake lights to blind people at night ! I also believe that the TRW shoes were fitted during production and aftermarket shoes are the problem with their poor friction properties.

Blink
26th October 2019, 12:11
If you want a handbrake that works you'll need to track down some TRW handbrake shoes. .....
They are no longer available on Ebay so I did a search and tracked down a set in Germany for £33 delivered ( the Ebay ones were £27).......

Some here Pete - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-RJ-2-5-Handbrake-Shoes-Set-99-to-05-Hand-Brake-Parking-TRW-Quality-New/333374360792?fits=Car+Make%3ARover%7CModel%3A75&epid=942156513&hash=item4d9ea90cd8:i:333374360792

drewbie
26th October 2019, 12:50

Totally agree, get the compensator mod done first. I've never had a problem with the handbrake since.

patrolman pete
26th October 2019, 15:40
Some here Pete - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-RJ-2-5-Handbrake-Shoes-Set-99-to-05-Hand-Brake-Parking-TRW-Quality-New/333374360792?fits=Car+Make%3ARover%7CModel%3A75&epid=942156513&hash=item4d9ea90cd8:i:333374360792

Thanks for that. My mate has just bought himself a 75 mark 2 and the handbrake is poor , so I can get him to order these. :bowdown: