PDA

View Full Version : Pre Fuel supply

Reebmit
1st November 2019, 16:42
Hi all, need a bit of help please, just renewed HP Pump seals on my CDTI and started fine and runs okay once going, no more leaking pump. It used to have the didn’t start in cold weather syndrome and saw diesel under front of car on drive. Everything is done and all fitted fine but now When you rev over 3000 it cuts out and I would think ECU going into safety mode, was fine before so maybe a wire issue.... I have downloaded the errors which I would say point towards Electric fuel supply in rear of car. I changed this a few month ago so pump should be fine. My question is can you check my errors attached and also can I bypass anything to get pump working to prove this is problem or better still is there a sensor or regulator (top of filter?) I can temporarily disconnect or is there a relay I can check? Etc etc...... I have work Monday so ideally need some expert feedback to get the old girl back on the road, many many thanks in advance,

Reebmit
1st November 2019, 17:27
I will double check in ITP is actually working but saying that the pressure on pics looks good, maybe filter? Maybe I can bypass this tomorrow just to rule it out. All seems peculiar that this problem has arisen just after doing this job so maybe a wire broken or similar....

COLVERT
1st November 2019, 18:46
I have read on the forum somewhere about a Crank Sensor starting to fail.

It cuts down the revs through lack of signal to the ECU.--:eek:

Reebmit
1st November 2019, 19:28
Thanks for that, will bear in mind after I have done the fuel pump checks...

marinabrian
1st November 2019, 21:06
Is your car a single pump facelift?

Reebmit
2nd November 2019, 04:41
Hi Brian, it is indeed,

Reebmit
2nd November 2019, 06:50
Brian, Managed to nip out prior to the BIG game haha.... removed the fuel inlet pipe into the filter and pumped about 1/2 litre in 10 seconds or so, so fuel pump working.

Am I able to bypass filter and join fuel lines to test, maybe remove sensor plug or does the system need to run through filter unit? Just don’t want to waste time/money changing filter, but was fine before doing the HP pump.

Could it be anything to do with HP pump after rebuild? Thing is when it does start it runs great.. but cuts out after a short period....

Could there be an airlock between filter and HP pump or could it be depressurising when it is turned off.. getting stumped now and considering I’m having big back/disc issues I’m really not wanting to waste too much labour time...

I looked in plenum and look dry etc....

Reebmit
2nd November 2019, 07:13
Also I have fitted brand new Bosch HP pump regulator, swapped out a fuel rail regulator, swapped out Cam sensor, still same....

RoverP480
2nd November 2019, 07:45
Sage advise from an old diesel hand when I took my LR in for poor running many years ago. He immediately changed the filter & I complained it had only been in a week. He said its the first thing he will always do, so he starts diagnostics knowing that was OK. He was right ,my filter was partially blocked . Don't assume it is clear because its nearly new.

Reebmit
2nd November 2019, 07:52
Thanks Derek, I’m starting to think filter could be an issue, there is fuel going into the filter and in reality it only goes through this and to the pump so nothing in between... that’s why I was wondering whether ai can bypass it temporarily....

Reebmit
2nd November 2019, 09:02
It sounds like a hissing air noise from around engine area so I’m gonna check my joins, maybe pressure issue after LP fuel sensor...

COLVERT
2nd November 2019, 10:41
Also I have fitted brand new Bosch HP pump regulator, swapped out a fuel rail regulator, swapped out Cam sensor, still same....

It won't be the CAM SENSOR as that's just for start up.

When revving however it's the crank sensor that sends a signal to the ECU. If it doesn't get a signal it tries to shut the engine down. Hence the difficulty in making it rev.

Reebmit
2nd November 2019, 10:43
Right, I will genuinely be ringing the scrap yard in a minute, tightened the hoses, no more hissing but now reads 3505 glow plug error! Almost had enough now...

Reebmit
2nd November 2019, 13:06
Yeah it’s something I have not tried.

I have just had it running for 30 mins up to temp and checked codes along the way so all good nothing came up. I revved it to 3000 many times all good, let it idle, sounds great etc etc.....then like last time I thought I would take it up to around 4000, then the engine check light on dash came on with exclamation mark as before then instantly died. I then checked error code and is as attached.... any ideas, is HP pump performing as it should? Etc etc....

Reebmit
2nd November 2019, 13:07
Also now it won’t start as before

Reebmit
2nd November 2019, 13:25
Im wondering if the recon of HP pump was not successful and something inside has an issue. It is not leaking now and is fine up to 3000 rpm in neutral. Is 638 bar okay at 4100 rpm as error log?

Reebmit
2nd November 2019, 13:51
Just disconnected fuel rail sensor and still won’t start...

Reebmit
2nd November 2019, 14:29
I am now tempted to give the old girl another chance and bite the bullet and get a PF Jones reconditioned HP pump. Originally my car ran perfectly except that as soon as the cold weather started almost to the day it started the non starting or should I say turning over for about 1 min before it would start syndrome. There was a leak from the HP pump when it was cold weather and a pool of diesel under front on drive.
So I removed the pump and fitted new seals then refitted. It started okay after it primed itself but then the above scenario unfolded....
so my thinking is it must be the HP pump..... anyone agree with me? Brian.... with all your experience on all things 75 would you agree? Haha.... this really is last attempt and if all fails will sell off all the new bits I’ve bought! Shame as I have had 75’s for 11 or 12 years now! I have replaced all the rear suspension arms, shocks, etc..... so it not a bad car!

COLVERT
2nd November 2019, 17:55
Just disconnected fuel rail sensor and still won’t start...

Whoops.

If you disconnect the fuel rail sensor it will register with the ECU as no fuel pressure so the ECU will not try and start the engine.----:eek:

COLVERT
2nd November 2019, 18:00
Don't give up on it. It might just be some silly little thing but it can give you a headache just trying to find it.

As I said on another post to a forum member, Brian might be having a late tea and hopefully will be along shortly.---:D

He did appear on that thread.

Reebmit
2nd November 2019, 18:24
Whoops.

If you disconnect the fuel rail sensor it will register with the ECU as no fuel pressure so the ECU will not try and start the engine.----:eek:

I gather when you disconnect sensor it will use default setting and run okay for a start...

We shall see, I don’t mind spending time on my other cars but not on the daily.... causes all kinds of problems...

Hopefully, I am leaning towards HP pump but maybe Brian will advise lol....

COLVERT
2nd November 2019, 19:39
I think the sensor is the end of the line as far as the ECU is concerned. If there was no fuel and the sensor said so then the ECU would not spin the engine over.---;)

If ,as you say, there is a fail safe then why have the sensor in the first place ???---It would have no function and could be discarded.---:shrug:

Reebmit
3rd November 2019, 07:27
I have read another post with identical issues to me and it was the HP pump with ref. To the little conical washers incorrectly fitted etc..... I gonna get the new pump, refit and get back to you all with the results.... :D

Reebmit
5th November 2019, 16:11
Got pump today. Very quick delivery, seem quite a company! Perfect service so far and they only use genuine Bosch parts..... including new pressure regulator.... I Will have a genuine new Bosch pressure regulator available soon as I bought a brand new one and only been used once.... PM me if interested...
Pics of pump... will update everyone once fitted at weekend...

Mike Noc
5th November 2019, 19:38
Right, I will genuinely be ringing the scrap yard in a minute, tightened the hoses, no more hissing but now reads 3505 glow plug error! Almost had enough now...

Forget the glowplug error, but I can't see anywhere in your thread that you have carried out an injector leakback test. Worth doing given the symptoms, and especially before fitting the new HP pump.

BigRuss
6th November 2019, 14:22
As Mike says, forget the glow plug error, of the many hundreds of 75 diesels I've seen a good 95% of them have this error and will not have any effect on starting ;)

I'm more surprised when it doesn't crop up ;)

Russ

Reebmit
7th November 2019, 03:22
Thanks Mike/Russ, I will keep you posted after this weekend.... 👍

Reebmit
8th November 2019, 12:36
All done, perfect HP pump fitted & sorted and running like a dream..... only took a few hours....... now starts within a couple of turns in hot or cold weather so to summarise, HP pump was leaking, car always ran perfectly until weather fell below about 6-7 degrees. It never gave any problems throughout summer ever but as soon as winter months came it then would take 1-2 mins of cranking over to start in the morning. Then it would be fine during the day and start and run perfectly until the next cold morning. Hopefully this may help another member as it was a strange one, could easily be similar to injector leak back...
now back to trying to mend my back, sciatica and numb foot! Haha thanks for any input given, appreciated... I have had 75’s for years now and I think I will bring this one back to its former glory over the next year or so..... maybe the 160 upgrade is on the cards (Russ haha...) I’ve just removed the Synergy and in the for sale section before I put it on EBay..... :}

Reebmit
10th November 2019, 06:03
If anyone wants a quality service and high quality recon HP pump at really sensible price, £180 plus £60 refundable surcharge on old pump I cannot speak highly enough of PF Jones, EBay item . https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F 271132939372 was delivered next day and pump was like new and uses all original Bosch components etc..... I have no affiliation with this company what so ever but credit where it is due. Check out their website https://www.pfjones.co.uk/diesel-fuel-pumps-and-injectors.html

Reebmit
14th December 2019, 17:03
Thread Update, In case anyone interested since fitting the HP Pump it hasn’t missed a beat and starts better than it ever has, all good.

Arctic
15th December 2019, 22:47
I have just bought the HPFP kit and over the next few weeks will be refurbishing the spare pump I have in the shed from a FL1 it came from a Freelander that Russ fitted another pump to :bowdown:

Thank you Russ for helping the Fl1 member Arctic.