PDA

View Full Version : Front grille, and fog light mount

goltho
6th November 2019, 18:20
Greetings. Haven't been on for ages as the car's been fine for ages.:hurray: Except..... I hit a deer a few nights ago which caused some damage to the car but not as much as to the deer. Sadly unavoidable. :shrug:

What I'm left with is a 6" split on the bumper underside which I'll repair using a plastic or metal plate, the lower mesh grille which is broken in several places, and the driver's side foglight which disappeared. The problem is the foglight.

I have a replacement which is all good, but when I got the bumper on the bench today, I found that the plastic onto which the light is mounted (screwed) and which is permanently fixed to the inside of the bumper, has been smashed. I removed the remaining bits using an angle grinder on the plastic "welds" (melted ends) and they came off easily. However, as far as I can see, the mount is part of the bumper itself so it would seem I'll have to find one on a scrap bumper and remove it by similar means. Reattaching it to my bumper should be straightforward using adhesive.

I'd be glad of any comments regarding the mount (see pic attached). I'd be ecstatic if anyone had one. :D And also I need a grille. Thanks.

Dougie,

macafee2
6th November 2019, 20:44
I seem to recall the face lift one was on plastic "pegs" with the ends melted over.
Generally it would be considered to be part of the bumper but it may be possible to remove the part, not sure how you would refit it

macafee2

goltho
6th November 2019, 21:42
I seem to recall the face lift one was on plastic "pegs" with the ends melted over. Generally it would be considered to be part of the bumper but it may be possible to remove the part, not sure how you would refit it

Exactly right. My pegs (well, my bumper's...) no longer exist due to to the removal process but I'm confident I can use adhesive plus a little ingenuity to refitting. You've confirmed my thoughts about the assembly being part of the bumper. Thanks.

Dougie.