PDA

View Full Version : SOUTH EAST EVENTS - August 2020, Breakfast Meet.

BRG75
31st July 2020, 09:42
I have copy, pasted this, to make the title more self explanatory. (editing it didn't get saved, for some reason)

Date
Sunday 9th August,

Time
9.15 for 9.30 at table(s)

Venue
(3 mins. from M25 Jct. 4)
TOBY Carvery, Badgers Mount
TN14 7AD

London Road
Halstead,
Kent

Directions
Leave M25 at Jct.4 (from either direction)
Take the M-way Extension dual Carriageway to a roundabout
Take 1st left to Badgers Mount & Sevenoaks
In approx. 1 mile, straight over a roundabout
Toby is then 100 yards on Right Hand side.

Regards

Mike

I will add name(s) below,
1. Mike
2. Jan
3. Jennifer
4. Steve

Raven Black
1st August 2020, 10:28
Please add me to the list.

BRG75
1st August 2020, 10:51
Thanks Jennifer, done.

Regards

Mike

steve-45
1st August 2020, 14:18
Please put me on the list, as it’s only 17 miles away would be rude not to !

BRG75
1st August 2020, 16:17
Hi Steve,

Just done.

Regards

Mike

Oldmanlogan
4th August 2020, 17:38
Sorry Mike it's a no from me I've unfurloughed my 75 but I'm on iow on holiday ,disappointed I'm going to miss the restarted meet ,hope you guys stay safe and sound

BRG75
4th August 2020, 19:39
Thanks Richard, good that you're 75 is back on the road, and say hello to the dear old Igly Wigly for me. Sorry, but I've affectionately called it that for years.

I used to service equipment over there, at British Hovercraft, Newport Council and Plessey Radar.

Twice, Jan and I have looked at moving over there, but on both occasions circumstances prevented it.

We have had 5 or 6 holidays over there (apparently at least 10 or 12, I'm informed) and I've literally done the crossing 3 to 400 times.

Do you know the Folly Inn, on the Medina, just inland of Cowes and Osborne House.

Up the hill from East Cowes, Osborne on your left, a mile or so and narrow road on right hand side.

Go down that road, and at the bottom is (was) an out of the way locals pub / restaurant.

Now, a large boating based pub. Maybe worth a visit, unless you're at West Wight, always windy.

Regards

Mike

FLYING BANANA
4th August 2020, 19:57
Thanks Richard, good that you're 75 is back on the road, and say hello to the dear old Igly Wigly for me. Sorry, but I've affectionately called it that for years.

I used to service equipment over there, at British Hovercraft, Newport Council and Plessey Radar.

Twice, Jan and I have looked at moving over there, but on both occasions circumstances prevented it.

We have had 5 or 6 holidays over there (apparently at least 10 or 12, I'm informed) and I've literally done the crossing 3 to 400 times.

Do you know the Folly Inn, on the Medina, just inland of Cowes and Osborne House.

Up the hill from East Cowes, Osborne on your left, a mile or so and narrow road on right hand side.

Go down that road, and at the bottom is (was) an out of the way locals pub / restaurant.

Now, a large boating based pub. Maybe worth a visit, unless you're at West Wight, always windy.

Regards

Mike

I’ll try and remember that when I’m over this December.

BRG75
5th August 2020, 05:57
I would check that it's open in December; as I said, it used to be a local's hideaway, and I'm sure open all year round.

Now, it's like an extension to Cowes harbour. Just a few minutes up the R. Medina after you pass the Chain Ferry connecting East and West Cowes.

Water Taxis between Cowes, The Folly and boats that have to moor in mid stream.
Wouldn't surprise me if it is now seasonal.

Regards

Mike

Oldmanlogan
6th August 2020, 07:10
Unfortunately Mike my car's playing whilst over here droplink failure I think so quite noisy to drive at the moment ,we've been coming to i.o.w for years this was booked prior to pandemic ,chain ferry is not currently working which is a shame ,and even with pubs everything must be pre-booked so can't just visit a pub unannounced 😱,but the island is mostly open we love shanklin and always stay here I'm going to try and fix droplinks whilst o we here if I can fingers crossed it is the links and not something else ,NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- eBay I won't buy cheap ones ever again

BRG75
6th August 2020, 14:15
Sorry to hear of suspension noises/problems, and hope it's not detracting from your Shanklin stay.

Has any more of the cliff top road collapsed around Niton, I wonder, whilst you're on that side of the Island.

Cheers

Mike

Oldmanlogan
6th August 2020, 20:12
Not that I can see Mike but we was shocked to see more lumps of blackgang have disappeared sadly but we wouldn't change iow for the world it's where we intend to retire I've managed to amend the drop link it was loose on the top nut which was annoying as I made especially sure it was tightened down to correct nm as per book but I've put a new nylok nut on top with limited tools now super quiet againlovely we will try the folly Inn I think we've been there before is it a building made to look like a boat?

BRG75
7th August 2020, 06:08
Good to hear you've effected a repair.

No, I suspect that the pub that looks like a boat you're thinking of was the Pilot Inn, at Bembridge. Built on a corner, the shape of a ships bows was painted on the walls, and port holes on both roads completed the effect.
Last time we were there it had shut down. Not to say that it hasn't re-opened.

Interestingly, not far from the Pilot was a pub that might have been called the New Inn.
The landlord told us that whilst wasn't the oldest pub on the Island, when pubs were licenced (1700's??) it was issued with licence number 1, which he actually showed us.

The Folly, I imagine, started of as a single storey, riverside alehouse for fishermen. It is literally on the shore. I'm sure it's two stories now, with all the ground floor as bar and restaurant, and a nice patio area / veranda outside.

Regards

Mike

Raven Black
9th August 2020, 11:20
Just back. Thanks to Brg for organising, great to see you and by happy coincidence an American car club at the same venue, so nice to see so many amazing cars. There was also a 1960s scooter club there.

This is a great venue for a meet. Thanks again for a very pleasant morning.

Oldmanlogan
10th August 2020, 15:20
What a find ,folly inn is fabulous sitting right on the water very tranquil ,drive way/road is a bit tight but well worth it ,it's a greenling now sign use to say old English inn ,club meet here please,cheers mike

BRG75
10th August 2020, 17:11
Yes I should have warned you that the access road is a tad tight.
Is there a tree still in the middle, half way down, which you navigate whichever way seems right at the time?

As for a South East Meet there, it's out of our territory, but I might support poacher's rights.

Glad you enjoyed it, and I'm sure I'm guilty of taking this "off topic", but your suggestion brings it straight back on track.

Regards

Mike

steve-45
20th September 2020, 17:04
Are we planning a breakfast meet for October ?

BRG75
20th September 2020, 18:51
Sadly no.

I have had something in mind, for a while now; but thought it best to delay announcing it, pending clarification of current max. meet numbers.

This morning I was advised that London and South are cancelling their proposed October dates, for the same reason.

Rest assured that as soon as we can recontinue, then we will.

Regards

Mike