PDA

View Full Version : New drop links, how to tighten top nut ?

Mangizmo
17th September 2020, 12:16
Need to replace at least 1 droplink again !!! the last one lasted 12 months so I have bought a pair of German madeMeyle HD droplinks that look far far better Question, before I start what is the best way to tighten up the top nut as access is very tight Thanks V

Phil-T4
17th September 2020, 12:21
Need to replace at least 1 droplink again !!! the last one lasted 12 months so I have bought a pair of German madeMeyle HD droplinks that look far far better Question, before I start what is the best way to tighten up the top nut as access is very tight Thanks V

You don't, the correct way is to use a crows foot spanner and tighten the link to the nut.
You just need to hold the nut still with a normal spanner.

Mangizmo
17th September 2020, 12:31
You don't, the correct way is to use a crows foot spanner and tighten the link to the nut.
You just need to hold the nut still with a normal spanner.

Gotcha thanks so hold the top nut steady and rotate the link till tight right ?

Phil-T4
17th September 2020, 12:36
Correct, then rotate the link and fit the bottom joint

Mangizmo
17th September 2020, 12:37
Correct, then rotate the link and fit the bottom joint

I will obtain the appropriate sized spanneer and do it next week thanks V

suzublu
17th September 2020, 14:02
Pack the boots with grease too, and shorten the thread on the top, makes life a little easier:cool:

Eddy600
17th September 2020, 15:09
Beleive you can also use some spring compressors to give better access to the top nut not tried it personally though.

Arctic
17th September 2020, 22:43
Trim 5mm of the thread and if you do not have the crows foot, or find it hard to get a spanner on the nut grind down a spanner.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=192709

RogerHeinz57
18th September 2020, 09:02
All good ideas, I bought some flairnut spanners and use them each time to overcome the access issue, as the cutting off the top stem may invalidate any warranty claim - should it be necessary.

Mangizmo
19th September 2020, 12:06
Trim 5mm of the thread and if you do not have the crows foot, or find it hard to get a spanner on the nut grind down a spanner.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=192709

Brilliant How too again as usual, I shall use your guide thanks vaughan