PDA

View Full Version : Tourer rear tailgate glass remanufacture

Rick-sta
26th January 2021, 17:03
Hi all,

Here's something I've been looking into for a couple years now since doing the first batch of Heated Windscreens.

Following on from this thread: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=283460

Working with Ricky Evans Motorsport who done the heated windscreens for me, we've been looking into the possibility of having the rear ones remanufactured for the tourers. Couldn't initially find the drawings for the tourer rear screens, but after sending them one to take measurements from they have confirmed that they could produce them.

Unfortunately they can only produce the glass, and cannot produce the frame that the glass attaches to. I believe back when they used to be available, they were supplied already fitted to the frame.

Therefore, the old glass from the frame would need to be removed and the new glass bonded to the frame.

PRICE:

based on minimum order of 10pcs. the estimated price with tooling and the cost per screen is around £250 per screen. The larger the order, the cheaper the cost per screen would be.

Back when they were available from Autoglass looks like they were over 2 x that price although including fitting and I believe they came complete with the frame: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=124202&postcount=9

I originally started looking into this after buying my old Tourer as every single heater element line had failed on it so the rear screen demist didn't work at all. And pretty much all the replacement 2nd hand ones had at least 3 or 4 failed lines that I could find. Luckily eventually managed to get a good one from Mickeyboy with just 1 failed line right at the bottom. But trying to find a perfectly working one these days is rare.

So based on the updated info, just wanted to see how much interest there would be in these?

Cheers
Rick

Mickyboy
26th January 2021, 19:24
I hope that this happens mate, these second hand ones are completely useless these days, fortunately for me a car came in about 8 weeks ago before xmas that had a perfect one that had all elements working but......I bet I don’t see another one like that again, I’m sure members will take this offer up, and well done for putting the wheels in motion mate, I’ll spread the words to some of my local customers

Mick

cat
26th January 2021, 20:09
Not in the market for one but many thanks for trying to sort this. I'm a bit worried now though because I do have a tourer, I'll touch wood it stays ok.

charlie 22
26th January 2021, 20:47
Hi, ii still have one of your heated windscreens still in its box, would you do a swap?

Nantwich 75
27th January 2021, 15:03
Hi Rick,

I would be interested in one.

Mike

AndyN01
28th January 2021, 13:01
Hi Rick.

Thanks for putting the time and effort into this.

Yes,I'd be interested.

Take care.

Rick-sta
28th January 2021, 16:15
I hope that this happens mate, these second hand ones are completely useless these days, fortunately for me a car came in about 8 weeks ago before xmas that had a perfect one that had all elements working but......I bet I don’t see another one like that again, I’m sure members will take this offer up, and well done for putting the wheels in motion mate, I’ll spread the words to some of my local customers

Mick

Thanks mate :}

The one you gave me for the Tourer was brilliant which was much appreciated. Was nice to be able to see out of the rear screen in winter for a change.

Any idea what causes the tourer ones to fail so often losing lines when the saloon ones seem to be so reliable? All the lines on redfive and my dad's saloon work perfectly. The ones on my typhoon did as well until the rear screen shattered and was replaced.

From what I could gather from my tourer one, it looked as though the load space had been fully loaded before and had rubbed on the rear screen causing the lines to break. Is this the cause or were the elements a bit weak?

Also if you have or get a scrap rear screen in could you let me know as I'd like one just to have a play with to look into a few things for this project.

Hi, ii still have one of your heated windscreens still in its box, would you do a swap?

Wouldn't be able to do a swap but someone did PM me recently asking if I had one spare. I'll see if I can find it and forward the details onto you if you want to sell the screen on.

operamagorum
30th January 2021, 15:55
Hi all,

Here's something I've been looking into for a couple years now since doing the first batch of Heated Windscreens.

Following on from this thread: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=283460

Working with Ricky Evans Motorsport who done the heated windscreens for me, we've been looking into the possibility of having the rear ones remanufactured for the tourers. Couldn't initially find the drawings for the tourer rear screens, but after sending them one to take measurements from they have confirmed that they could produce them.

Unfortunately they can only produce the glass, and cannot produce the frame that the glass attaches to. I believe back when they used to be available, they were supplied already fitted to the frame.

Therefore, the old glass from the frame would need to be removed and the new glass bonded to the frame.

PRICE:

based on minimum order of 10pcs. the estimated price with tooling and the cost per screen is around £250 per screen. The larger the order, the cheaper the cost per screen would be.

Back when they were available from Autoglass looks like they were over 2 x that price although including fitting and I believe they came complete with the frame: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=124202&postcount=9

I originally started looking into this after buying my old Tourer as every single heater element line had failed on it so the rear screen demist didn't work at all. And pretty much all the replacement 2nd hand ones had at least 3 or 4 failed lines that I could find. Luckily eventually managed to get a good one from Mickeyboy with just 1 failed line right at the bottom. But trying to find a perfectly working one these days is rare.

So based on the updated info, just wanted to see how much interest there would be in these?

Cheers
Rick

Hi Rick
For those of us who would be unable to remove old glass from frame and re-fit.
Will you be offering a fitting service or perhaps know someone who can do it?
Thanks
Geoff

edwardmk
31st January 2021, 17:51
This is a good Initiative. Both my rear screens are fine at the moment, but you never know. It does make sense that loads moving in the tourers might scrape and damage the lines. The rear window in the saloon is fairly inaccessible and so less prone to abrasion I guess.
I'd happily order a front heated windscreen for the V8. The one you fitted to your previous ZTT has been awesome this winter.

Yorkshire GOC
1st February 2021, 14:28
If its in the ZT form of the screen i could be interested - i already have 2 working 75 rear screens - and know where a third one might be avaialable soon.;)

Rick-sta
18th June 2021, 11:38
Hi all,

Getting back into looking more into this project.

So I can get the tourer rear screens remanufactured however they can only produce the glass and can't produce the frame the glass is bonded to.

Now realistically I don't think there will be much point in me just supplying the glass. Although some private glass fitters will most likely be fine removing the old glass from the frame and installing the new one, the issue is the wiring for the brake light (and also the glass opening switch) passes through the bonding between the glass and frame which will most likely be cut when removing the old glass.

So I think the best way to do these is I will have so source a number of old tailgate glass units and have my windscreen fitter come down one day to remove the old glass from all the frames. I'd then have to sort the wiring for the brake light and glass opening switch. And then on another day I'll have to get my windscreen fitter back down to install the new glass onto the frames with the new wiring passing through.

That way the tourer rear screens will be supplied as a straight swap solution plug and play.

Obviously with all the additional work the costs of the tourer rear glass would increase. I estimate the complete cost would be around £400-£500 each. That would be cost of the glass remanufacture (tooling cost + cost per unit), cost of sourcing tourer rear glass units to salvage the frames from, costs from my windscreen fitter for removing the old glass and installing the new one, and the wiring done by myself.

I'm going to get hold of another couple scrap tourer rear glass units and get my windscreen fitter to split the glass off one of them in September when he's here to install some of the heated windscreens from the last batch, so will get a much better idea of how things look with the glass removed.

I think this is going to be the best way to get these done, as supplying just the glass isn't going to be much use to most I think.

With this in mind, would there still be much interest in these?

macafee2
18th June 2021, 12:48
Hi all,

Getting back into looking more into this project.

So I can get the tourer rear screens remanufactured however they can only produce the glass and can't produce the frame the glass is bonded to.

Now realistically I don't think there will be much point in me just supplying the glass. Although some private glass fitters will most likely be fine removing the old glass from the frame and installing the new one, the issue is the wiring for the brake light (and also the glass opening switch) passes through the bonding between the glass and frame which will most likely be cut when removing the old glass.

So I think the best way to do these is I will have so source a number of old tailgate glass units and have my windscreen fitter come down one day to remove the old glass from all the frames. I'd then have to sort the wiring for the brake light and glass opening switch. And then on another day I'll have to get my windscreen fitter back down to install the new glass onto the frames with the new wiring passing through.

That way the tourer rear screens will be supplied as a straight swap solution plug and play.

Obviously with all the additional work the costs of the tourer rear glass would increase. I estimate the complete cost would be around £400-£500 each. That would be cost of the glass remanufacture (tooling cost + cost per unit), cost of sourcing tourer rear glass units to salvage the frames from, costs from my windscreen fitter for removing the old glass and installing the new one, and the wiring done by myself.

I'm going to get hold of another couple scrap tourer rear glass units and get my windscreen fitter to split the glass off one of them in September when he's here to install some of the heated windscreens from the last batch, so will get a much better idea of how things look with the glass removed.

I think this is going to be the best way to get these done, as supplying just the glass isn't going to be much use to most I think.

With this in mind, would there still be much interest in these?

perhaps at the moment there may not be much interest due to cost and that they are still available from scrap yards but in time there may be a need for them. A couple of weeks ago a dealer wanted £25 for a rear screen

macafee2