PDA

View Full Version : Removing Adhesive Trim

efreeti
3rd January 2009, 10:11
http://i23.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/20/b8/dc41_2.JPG

The picture above shows the nasty back runners and bumper protector pads which have been stuck onto the tourer I have just bought. They were put on to hide a scratch under one of the protectors but the previous owner decided to add the full kits for some reason.

Anyway, I need to get them off. I've had a little look under the edge of one of the strips and they are held on by a fairly elastic glue (little strands stretch between the trim and the paintwork when pulled out).

My intention was to use a hair dryer to heat up the adhesive and gently pull it off. Hopefully the soft elastic adhesive won't be difficult to get off the paint work. My main concern is the paintwork in general is in very good condition and I am starting wonder if I will end up with obvious discoloured strips even if i manage to get all the glue of ok.

Any comments and\or advice would be appreciated. They really spoil the curved flanks of the car.

Greeners
3rd January 2009, 13:16
Jim

Unless you've got a garage ( or you plan to take the bumpers off and you've got room in the house), don't try it until the ambient temperature is above zero. You need to apply gentle heat around the area to soften it. Any residue should come off with a bit of AG Tar remover.

stocktake
3rd January 2009, 17:12
Start on one of the front wings Jim. Then if there is any discoloration it is an easy item to replace / experiment on.

efreeti
3rd January 2009, 17:49
There is also a little piece between the back door and rear wheel arch, only a couple of inches long so will start with that one. In fact the car is covered in the ****** stuff. For some reason there are two small pads above the window glass on the tailgate as well!

Good point Greeners, I should be able to put it in the warehouse at work to get it warmed up a bit. That would of course involve getting the engine sorted first :icon_rolleyes:

pondweed
3rd January 2009, 17:50
any progress there? is it home yet?

efreeti
6th January 2009, 16:50
It arrived on a multi car transporter late last night. Drives really well. Actually feels smoother than my tourer (probably time for a service and some TLC). It is just this knocking that needs sorting.

I will no doubt start another thread in technical once I get around to getting the cam cover off. Probably won't be before the weekend now as it is just too dark and cold to be messing around with it in the evening at the moment.

Greeners
6th January 2009, 16:51
It arrived on a multi car transporter late last night. Drives really well. Actually feels smoother than my tourer (probably time for a service and some TLC). It is just this knocking that needs sorting.

I will no doubt start another thread in technical once I get around to getting the cam cover off. Probably won't be before the weekend now as it is just too dark and cold to be messing around with it in the evening at the moment.

Glad you've got it home...come on and get out there, plenty of time before tea....:D

efreeti
25th January 2009, 20:54
So, I got the nasty black plastic strips off and the adhesive doesn't seem to be a problem.

However... You know when a red car (especially old mondeos) start to fade to a kind of orange colour if you don't keep them polished? Well that seems to have happened underneath these strips. I now have a rather unattractive go faster stripe down each side of the car!

No paint or lacquer seems to have lifted with the adhesive and the surface seems perfectly smooth, it just look like tan lines basically. I had a go with a bit of t-cut on a small section and it made no difference at all.

I will try and get a photo in the light but unless anybody has any clever ideas I might have to look at getting some more strips to put back on! I haven't tried to take the big patches off the bumper yet having seen what has happened to the doors! :mad:

Edit: Can you get colour matched flat strips printed??

empsburna
28th January 2009, 14:45
I suspect a machine polish will restore the oxidised areas.

I would avoid using T Cut on modern paintwork.