trikey
16th September 2021, 04:17
Yep, don't waste ya time !

Buy a faster car.

Where’s the fun in that?

As the old sign says ‘Speed is just a question of money’

Here ya go Thomas…

Nitrous oxide system.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=36731&share_tid=314785&url=https%3A%2F%2Fthe75andztclub%2Eco%2Euk%2Fforum %2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D314785&share_type=t&link_source=app

Jamiewelch
16th September 2021, 07:59
Anyone got any good upgraded turbo suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMW 330D VNT turbo with an aftermarket VNT controller. You'll be able to max the fuel system out at 180bhp. And you'll be acheiving 180bhp from around 2500rpm all the way to the red line! If fitting a larger turbo you need VNT or you'll have no boost low down and you'll put a massive shock through the entire drivetrain when you get boost.

It's not too hard to achieve :)

bikerdude666
16th September 2021, 08:18
I'm sure I've seen a company somewhere up north that will fit a bigger turbo and remap it accordingly, but I can't remember the name. They're on one/some of the facebook groups.

Mike Trident
16th September 2021, 08:45
Where’s the fun in that?

As the old sign says ‘Speed is just a question of money’

Here ya go Thomas…

Nitrous oxide system.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=36731&share_tid=314785&url=https%3A%2F%2Fthe75andztclub%2Eco%2Euk%2Fforum %2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D314785&share_type=t&link_source=app

No fun I agree

But modifying cars these days will make it un-insurable.

ZedTeeT
17th September 2021, 06:54
BMW 330D VNT turbo with an aftermarket VNT controller. You'll be able to max the fuel system out at 180bhp. And you'll be acheiving 180bhp from around 2500rpm all the way to the red line! If fitting a larger turbo you need VNT or you'll have no boost low down and you'll put a massive shock through the entire drivetrain when you get boost.

That's a lot of messing around for only 180 bhp. Think I'd just go the 160 (ish) remap route and save my cash.

Mike Trident
17th September 2021, 07:20
That's a lot of messing around for only 180 bhp. Think I'd just go the 160 (ish) remap route and save my cash.

I agree, if you really want MG/Rover buy a MG ZT190 to start with.

Jamiewelch
17th September 2021, 08:27

It's not just the peak power, I've attached 2 images, one is the dyno run of my old ZT with a VNT turbo, and one is of a car that has been mapped with the T4 Operators 160 map. Torque is what you really want. Both cars were run on the same dyno which is properly calibrated.

AndyS
17th October 2021, 15:54
BMW 330D VNT turbo with an aftermarket VNT controller. You'll be able to max the fuel system out at 180bhp. And you'll be achieving 180bhp from around 2500rpm all the way to the red line! If fitting a larger turbo you need VNT or you'll have no boost low down and you'll put a massive shock through the entire drivetrain when you get boost.

Does anyone know which 330D VNT turbo to use? I had a quick look at 330D options and there appear to be 3 or 4 different turbos for the 330D.
The option of more/earlier low down torque and then more mid range torque across the range, with a little bit more around the top end, is attractive to me as I often travel loaded or towing and that would help nicely on my manual 135 tourer.
As mentioned elsewhere, the low and mid torque is what would be nice for me, but big top end horsepower numbers would not be the aim for me.
Does anyone know what the torque limits are for the clutch and the gearbox? I do not want to push the gearbox too gar whjilst towing either.

Jamiewelch
18th October 2021, 09:15
Does anyone know which 330D VNT turbo to use? I had a quick look at 330D options and there appear to be 3 or 4 different turbos for the 330D.
The option of more/earlier low down torque and then more mid range torque across the range, with a little bit more around the top end, is attractive to me as I often travel loaded or towing and that would help nicely on my manual 135 tourer.
As mentioned elsewhere, the low and mid torque is what would be nice for me, but big top end horsepower numbers would not be the aim for me.
Does anyone know what the torque limits are for the clutch and the gearbox? I do not want to push the gearbox too gar whjilst towing either.

GT2260V from a 204ps E46. To be honest, even a remap with a stock turbo takes the torque over the limits of the stock gearbox. If you're towing the extra torque would be handy, but that would put a huge amount of strain on the general drivetrain.

trikey
18th October 2021, 10:06
GT2260V from a 204ps E46. To be honest, even a remap with a stock turbo takes the torque over the limits of the stock gearbox. If you're towing the extra torque would be handy, but that would put a huge amount of strain on the general drivetrain.

I never had issues with the auto and that was running with nos occasionally as well as the big turbo

Jamiewelch
18th October 2021, 10:09
I never had issues with the auto and that was running with nos occasionally as well as the big turbo

Towing too though? It's the towing that would have me a bit worried. I find it mad that the autobox is rated for more torque than the manual :shrug: It should handle it fine, just don't want to be blamed if someone does it, their gearbox goes pop and then they say that I said it would be fine ;)

trikey
18th October 2021, 10:43
Towing too though? It's the towing that would have me a bit worried. I find it mad that the autobox is rated for more torque than the manual :shrug: It should handle it fine, just don't want to be blamed if someone does it, their gearbox goes pop and then they say that I said it would be fine ;)

I never did tow with it to be fair, I use my 250k manual with a cheapo clutch for that job lol.

grivas
19th October 2021, 10:54
Anyone got any good upgraded turbo suggestions

Get a '160' remap from one of the chaps here and you will be smiling all the way, and you will probably get a good health check at the same time, ( the car, not you) also you are less likely to destroy the transmission!.