PDA

View Full Version : headlamp washer problem

euro44
4th October 2021, 08:50
24 hours before its MOT the beast has everything working EXCEPT the headlamp washers. when I removed the front bumper last year I made sure they worked on final reassembly. The wipers and windscreen washers are working fine so I am not sure where to look for the problem there is no water leaking from below the washer bottle that i can see so do i suspect electrics?? I really did not want to remove the bumper unless its nescessary due to time available, so any ideas would be appreciated.

SD1too
4th October 2021, 09:03
Hi Chris,

A quick reply to you without double checking but I think that the headlamp washers are only triggered after every fourth or fifth operation of the windscreen wipers. Also, you will probably need the lights switched on as well. Check these before suspecting a fault. :D

Simon

Arctic
4th October 2021, 09:14
Hi Chris.
Also make sure you have enough screen wash in the tank above the pump for the front jets to work.

stocktake
4th October 2021, 09:39
Thought headlamp washers were no longer tested on out cars as they are age exempt?

euro44
4th October 2021, 09:54
thanks chaps, unfortunately its none of these thats the problem. washer bottle full, tested with headlights on dip and main beam, and they only operate on 5th use of washers with lights on to save washer fluid. looks like the fronts coming off, trouble is my parking area is under 2 inches of water at present, not that shes standing in water but its pretty damn close lol.

stocktake
4th October 2021, 10:16
if there is no sound then it is usually the 2nd pump that has failed, this can actually be accessed if you pull back the wheel liner on the drivers side ( unless your washer tank is the same as the V8 and on the other side) pump is push fit into a rubber grommet.

DRWMGTF
4th October 2021, 10:19
thanks chaps, unfortunately its none of these thats the problem. washer bottle full, tested with headlights on dip and main beam, and they only operate on 5th use of washers with lights on to save washer fluid. looks like the fronts coming off, trouble is my parking area is under 2 inches of water at present, not that shes standing in water but its pretty damn close lol.

Morning,
"and they only operate on 5th use of washers with lights on to save washer fluid"
Are you saying they don't work at all or they only work on the 5th sweep of the windscreen wipers if so I think that they are working properly?
Regards David

euro44
4th October 2021, 10:27
sorry David i failed to make it clear that they do not work at all. according to the handbook they only operate on the 5th use of the windscreen washers when the headlights are on as you pointed out, the windscreen washers and wipers are working perfectly. I seem to remember two ? pumps on the washer res. so maybe ones defunct. time to get the waders out by the look of it.

stocktake
4th October 2021, 10:33
sorry David i failed to make it clear that they do not work at all. according to the handbook they only operate on the 5th use of the windscreen washers when the headlights are on as you pointed out, the windscreen washers and wipers are working perfectly. I seem to remember two ? pumps on the washer res. so maybe ones defunct. time to get the waders out by the look of it.
Yes there are two pumps :)

stevestrat
4th October 2021, 10:41
Yep, two pumps. The lower one is for the screen washers, the upper one is the headlight washers.

euro44
4th October 2021, 10:53
ahhhh the old memory still sort of works. I will try accessing through the wheel well and peel the liner back, I wasnt sure which pump might be the problem so many thanks for the info. wet knees coming up, will let you know the result.

dave lincs
4th October 2021, 11:10
Headlight washer are only part of the test for cars first used after September 2009 and only on cars with HID lights
Test manual ref is 4.1.6

Dave

euro44
4th October 2021, 14:53
Soooooo if I read that correctly a 2004 reg. car that has headlight washers does not require them to work for a MOT pass ???? I have postponed the brutes test so I can replace the seized pump which is proving difficult to get at a reasonable price I.E. NEW FROM BMW £77.50

stocktake
4th October 2021, 14:59
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=rover+75+headlight+washer+pump&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc&_odkw=bmw+headlight+washer+pump&_osacat=0

euro44
4th October 2021, 15:16
brilliant Dave, thanks very much for the info. I have ordered one that looks identical to the original thats seized. what a mark up bmw use, no wonder my local BMW parts store has a glitzy showroom and customer lounge, they must be making so much profit on parts they dont know what to spend them on next lol.

euro44
8th October 2021, 15:12
Update on this problem, its now FIXED !!!! I recommend this Ebay seller " fiona-mcgowan123 " seller no 658307 a replacement pump for the headlamp washers via bmw £ 77.65 and from this seller £ 16.89 plus 99p p/p. its identical, fits perfectly and sprays the lamps like a fire hose lol.

Jamiewelch
8th October 2021, 15:42
Update on this problem, its now FIXED !!!! I recommend this Ebay seller " fiona-mcgowan123 " seller no 658307 a replacement pump for the headlamp washers via bmw £ 77.65 and from this seller £ 16.89 plus 99p p/p. its identical, fits perfectly and sprays the lamps like a fire hose lol.

It won't be identical to the genuine part. It may look it, but it won't be. But as long as it does the job that's all that matters.

Vossy
8th October 2021, 16:47
It won't be identical to the genuine part. It may look it, but it won't be. But as long as it does the job that's all that matters.

I had mine from him Jamie, works a treat, just as powerful as the original.

Jamiewelch
8th October 2021, 16:52
I had mine from him Jamie, works a treat, just as powerful as the original.

I didn’t say it wouldn’t, it’s definitely going to be built of cheaper components than an original. It might last 2 years instead of 10. If it was mine I would have bought a genuine bmw part as I would know it would be of decent quality and would have been properly tested. But that’s me. On my cars I fit genuine parts or parts manufactured by the original manufacturer.

DRWMGTF
8th October 2021, 17:11

Hello Chris,
Did you remove the wheel and peel back the wheel arch liner or did you remove the bumper. I need to sort my windscreen/headlight washers as well! Regards David

Arctic
8th October 2021, 19:09

Hi Chris.
Most likely one of these i have used them in the past and they work well and better news they last ;)

https://i.imgur.com/QQIlcu2l.jpg1

https://i.imgur.com/GKY9iwZl.jpg2

https://i.imgur.com/mm7vZhvl.jpg3

euro44
9th October 2021, 09:54
sorted by jacking up front, removing wheel , peeling back liner, etc. not the easiest job due to limited access/room for large clumsy fingers, but DO watch out for the plastic clip that locks the tubing to the pump.!!!! its VERY easy to lose or break.