PDA

View Full Version : Hats off to X-Part!

SD1too
24th November 2021, 08:25
DMGRS frequently satisfies with its speed of service and Rimmer Bros. sometimes raises eyebrows with its carriage charges but we don't hear any feedback from X-Part customers. So today I'm going to redress the balance! :D

Although I use a variety of retailers, on this occasion X-Part was the only one who could guarantee me genuine MGR parts, all in stock and ready for immediate despatch. I ordered on the telephone from Katy yesterday at 11.15 and the courier was at my front door at 08.30 this morning. That's under 24 hours!

You may be wondering about the cost of this competitor to Concorde. Was it £9.95 or even £15, figures to which we are all accustomed for next day delivery? No, it was just £6 including VAT.

I'm not claiming that this speedy service is unique, just to let members know that X-Part is another choice on which you can rely. It is now based in Birmingham and owned (so I'm told) by Leacy MG Ltd. Their number is unchanged: 0116 296 7888, option 1 for sales.

Simon :D

macafee2
24th November 2021, 09:44
"guarantee me genuine MGR parts". What year were the parts made and who made them?

Sorry, I have this thing about genuine, Rimmers and X-part following a conversation with a Rimmers member of staff.

macafee2

MSS
24th November 2021, 09:49
Simon, thanks for the information. Is it just genuine parts and excellent service that impressed you or did they also send free sweets? :shrug:

clf
24th November 2021, 09:56
I thought xpart were a franchise type wholesaler rather than a individual retailer. Are dmgrs, and rimmers both not xpart dealers also?

As for the genuine articles...... errm, these are surely name only now, even if they are made by the original suppliers (more than one supplier/manufacturer was used for the same components in some instances). I would even question 'made to original spec' in some instances - auto brake pedal rubbers immediately spring to mind.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

trikey
24th November 2021, 10:40
A lot of X part stuff is made in India or turkey now.

WillyHeckaslike
24th November 2021, 11:15
Hi, Simon. The figure of £6, is this just the shipping charge or is it inclusive of the cost of whatever item/items which you ordered.

SD1too
24th November 2021, 11:52
Oooh lots of very good points for me to try to answer. :chat:
"guarantee me genuine MGR parts". What year were the parts made and who made them?
Sorry, I have this thing about genuine, Rimmers and X-part ...
Yes I know Ian and I don't disagree with you on your point that the meaning of "genuine" is open to interpretation.

I have no idea when the parts were made or the identity of the manufacturer, but then that also applies to parts bought for cars which remain in production at an assembly plant which is still trading. So I would ask, why make a big thing of it as far as MG Rover is concerned?

... did they also send free sweets? :shrug:
Ha, ha. :laughing2: No sweets I'm afraid but I'm not a fan of that sort of marketing anyway. ;)
I thought xpart were a franchise type wholesaler rather than a individual retailer. Are dmgrs, and rimmers both not xpart dealers also?
Hi Alan,

Rimmer Bros., BS Motors/E Car Parts and many ex-MGR main dealers are what I would call X-Part "agents" since they have an account with X-Part and obtain their stock from them. In that respect I suppose X-Part could be called a wholesaler but they will also sell direct to the vehicle owner without imposing wholesale minimum order quantities. You could say that's the best of both worlds!
I would even question 'made to original spec' in some instances ...
Yes, I would agree with you there. Another example is the anti-roll bar ("drop") links.
A lot of X part stuff is made in India or turkey now.
Yes Andy, also in my experience China and the UK. :eek: But (politics aside) does it really matter where parts are made so long as they are functional, durable and are a reasonable price?
Hi, Simon. The figure of £6, is this just the shipping charge or is it inclusive of the cost of whatever item/items which you ordered.
£6 was just the shipping charge.

Simon

vitesse
24th November 2021, 12:00
I recently bought some MG front badges directly from their eBay shop.

On to the question of genuine, are Xpart non-centralised upper arms genuine? DMGRS' upper arms are not described as genuine yet in my mind are more genuine than the Xpart ones.

Guess that Simon was buying thermostat O rings, genuine 20 year old stock or new made in Egypt from recycled tyre rubber? Simon questions if it matters where they are made - yes, to me it does, as just the hint of Egypt or Indian would cause me to look for alternatives, and after the Mr.Kipling Upper Arms, can anyone rely on Xpart's name as a guarantee of quality?

ECP sells genuine MG Rover branded KV6 thermostats but fails to give the opening temperature. Even DMGRS is guilty of selling these thermostats as OEM-Q, despite sending me a mail confirming that they are 82 deg ones and not the original 88 spec ones.

Little wonder then we question the "Genuine/OEM/MG Rover" branding

Regards

macafee2
24th November 2021, 12:06

Yes I know Ian and I don't disagree with you on your point that the meaning of "genuine" is open to interpretation.

I have no idea when the parts were made or the identity of the manufacturer, but then that also applies to parts bought for cars which remain in production at an assembly plant which is still trading. So I would ask, why make a big thing of it as far as MG Rover is concerned?

Ha, ha. :laughing2: No sweets I'm afraid but I'm not a fan of that sort of marketing anyway. ;)

Hi Alan,

Rimmer Bros., BS Motors/E Car Parts and many ex-MGR main dealers are what I would call X-Part "agents" since they have an account with X-Part and obtain their stock from them. In that respect I suppose X-Part could be called a wholesaler but they will also sell direct to the vehicle owner without imposing wholesale minimum order quantities. You could say that's the best of both worlds!

Yes, I would agree with you there. Another example is the anti-roll bar ("drop") links.

Yes Andy, also in my experience China and the UK. :eek: But (politics aside) does it really matter where parts are made so long as they are functional, durable and are a reasonable price?

Simon

Hi Simon,
Why do I make a big thing? For me it is about honesty, about the buyer getting what they paid for. If Rover made the part at Cowley or Longbridge that is genuine, if Simon Engineering made the part in "2005" and shipped it to Rover that is genuine. If Simon engineering made the parts in 2005 nd shipped to Rover but made this part in 2020, that is OEM but if Simon Engineering never existed until 2020 in any shape or form and made the part in 2020 then that is pattern.

There are complaints about pattern parts but what about parts made in 2020 by a company that never supplied Rover but box it up in a Rover box so we think it is genuine, we will then complain about genuine parts. Genuine parts cost more 9 times out of 10.

I now ask you, would you be happy buying a part described as genuine but made in 2020 by a company that never supplied Rover?
My question is not about quality, about genuine believing it to be genuine.

Anyone that thinks it is ok, ask a woman if they are happy to pay top dollar for a Radley handbag only to find out it is a "Turkish" knock off?

macafee2

MSS
24th November 2021, 12:41
Simon - I hope you have now realised why I gave you the opportunity to confirm if you had received free sweets from X-Part. Evidently they are important in opinion forming and development of camaraderie! :D

People posting responses. Please note what Simon actually wrote 'just to let members know that X-Part is another choice on which you can rely'. He highlighted a choice, which is yours to make.

I also feel that too many are once again confusing different terms. Simon did not use the term OEM, which would have indicated an item complying with the original manufacturer's specification and manufactured by the original manufacturer. He used the the term genuine, which is correct as the parts business of MGR was X-part and was sold on at the time of MGR's demise. So X-Part are technically the only source who can correctly claim that their parts for MGR cars are genuine. Age of the part is irrelevant in this context for who is to say that an OEM P, Q, R or non-genuine part is not 25 years old?

I am thrilled to note that a female (I assume Katy is one but we embrace all nevertheless) is employed to sell car parts by X-Part as opposed to the usual John, Nick, Tom etc. We need to embrace equality and in my view this alone would be a good enough reason to order from X-Part, as it is to order from Carole at Best of British.

Finally, and on the question of equality, there is nothing wrong with Indian made parts - we Indians are quite good at making things. Observe this the next time you tuck into a Balti! ;)

Relax and buy from whoever you choose. :cool:

clf
24th November 2021, 12:47

Hi Alan,

SimonThe parts are genuine xpart parts with mgr labels, not genuine mgr parts. As I understand it, xpart have the rights to label and sell parts as mgr. These parts can be of whatever standard they set, and not what was designed or specified for the car.

Undotunately agents, I believe, also haveto sell at a set price to eliminate any competition within the co-OP.

Reminds me of an old.company I worked for, that was an a1 motor stores agent - which to be fair, some of their relabelled products were quite good, some were sung though, but all were sold at the price instructed.

Anyway it was the service that you were congratulating ultimately. For that consideration, eurocarparts always gets my vote- even if their parts and accuracy may not lol.

clf
24th November 2021, 12:54
Simon - I hope you have now realised why I gave you the opportunity to confirm if you had received free sweets from X-Part. Evidently they are important in opinion forming and development of camaraderie! :D

People posting responses. Please note what Simon actually wrote 'just to let members know that X-Part is another choice on which you can rely'. He highlighted a choice, which is yours to make.

I also feel that too many are once again confusing different terms. Simon did not use the term OEM, which would have indicated an item complying with the original manufacturer's specification and manufactured by the original manufacturer. He used the the term genuine, which is correct as the parts business of MGR was X-part and was sold on at the time of MGR's demise. So X-Part are technically the only source who can correctly claim that their parts for MGR cars are genuine. Age of the part is irrelevant in this context for who is to say that an OEM P, Q, R or non-genuine part is not 25 years old?

I am thrilled to note that a female (I assume Katy is one but we embrace all nevertheless) is employed to sell car parts by X-Part as opposed to the usual John, Nick, Tom etc. We need to embrace equality and in my view this alone would be a good enough reason to order from X-Part, as it is to order from Carole at Best of British.

Finally, and on the question of equality, there is nothing wrong with Indian made parts - we Indians are quite good at making things. Observe this the next time you tuck into a Balti! ;)

Relax and buy from whoever you choose. :cool:Ahh ref the balti, that is not necessarily the parts, but rather the sum of the parts (ie the car). And in saying that, stephen from carrickfergus, at my local Indian takeaway also makes a rather fine and apparently authentic balti I have been told (am not a curry fan lol). :p:

macafee2
24th November 2021, 16:12

I hope people read your post and mine so they can make an informed decision about the part they are buying being genuine. Personally I think if the part is made in "2020" by a company that had nothing to do with Rover, there is no way on gods earth I will consider it genuine and I take a very dim view of any company calling it genuine. Makes it hard for me to buy genuine parts :)

macafee2

MSS
24th November 2021, 16:43
I hope people read your post and mine so they can make an informed decision about the part they are buying being genuine. Personally I think if the part is made in "2020" by a company that had nothing to do with Rover, there is no way on gods earth I will consider it genuine and I take a very dim view of any company calling it genuine. Makes it hard for me to buy genuine parts :)

macafee2

If I go and buy a part for my Omega from Vauxhall, it will be genuine Vauxhall even if not manufactured by the OEM many years ago around the time that the Omega was still in production. Why would it be any different for a part sold by X-Part?

For me, a part described as 'OEM' with an appropriate extension will carry far tighter tolerance of expectation than a part described as 'genuine'.

You may care to read this thread I started on the very topic back in 2014.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=201127

suzublu
24th November 2021, 16:46
I have just bought and fitted, a genuine lambda sensor from Best of British from their eBay shop, next day delivery too 😎

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

macafee2
24th November 2021, 16:57
If I go and buy a part for my Omega from Vauxhall, it will be genuine Vauxhall even if not manufactured by the OEM many years ago around the time that the Omega was still in production. Why would it be any different for a part sold by X-Part?

For me, a part described as 'OEM' with an appropriate extension will carry far tighter tolerance of expectation than a part described as 'genuine'.

You may care to read this thread I started on the very topic back in 2014.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=201127

You are buying the part from Vauxhall who are now using a different manufacturer. Rover no longer exists.

macafee2

MSS
24th November 2021, 17:06
You are buying the part from Vauxhall who are now using a different manufacturer. Rover no longer exists.

macafee2

And here, you are buying parts from the business (now part of X-Part) that was part of MG Rover when it existed. It was sold off to Caterpillar/X-Part. I don't see how that is any different from the parts arm of Vauxhall, which is now part of Stellantis the current owner of the Vauxhall brand.

trikey
24th November 2021, 17:09
As our cars get older, we will have to use whatever is available, this doesn’t stop us going to local suppliers for the likes of O rings, seals etc, as more of them than not these are of better quality than the ‘genuine’ parts offered by X part.

macafee2
24th November 2021, 17:51
And here, you are buying parts from the business (now part of X-Part) that was part of MG Rover when it existed. It was sold off to Caterpillar/X-Part. I don't see how that is any different from the parts arm of Vauxhall, which is now part of Stellantis the current owner of the Vauxhall brand.

We are going round in circles, lets just disagree.

macafee2

SD1too
24th November 2021, 18:55
... there is nothing wrong with Indian made parts - we Indians are quite good at making things. Observe this the next time you tuck into a Balti!
Absolutely Maninder but I'm surprised that Ian hasn't picked you up on this. Some sources say that the balti was invented in Birmingham by the Pakistani community. I've heard similar said of chicken tikka masala. So when is an Indian dish "genuine" and is it even correct to call it Indian? I understand that our restaurants are actually Bangladeshi. Oh dear, I'm treading on thin ice here!

As Pete Towshend wrote: "The simple things you see are all complicated". :D

:iagree:

Simon

SD1too
26th November 2021, 08:11
For my X-Part order, all parts were supplied in MG Rover labelled bags except where stated otherwise.

LLH 102660 Breather hose, made in GB. :eek:

LKJ 100992 Inlet manifold gasket, made in India (for Land Rover KV6?).

CDU 3858 'O' ring, made in Spain.

FS 106127 Screw, made in UK (Austin Rover label :eek:).

I expect that there will be particular excitement about the screws which I hope Ian will consider both "genuine" and "OEM".

Simon

vitesse
26th November 2021, 09:11
FS 106127 screw is probably the only part that is “genuine/OEM” - Ian is not the only one who is sceptical about Xpart and their quality control department. I honestly have more faith in DMGRS’ products whether they be branded Genuine/OEM/Xpart or not. What would you rather fit to your car, DMGRS’ own brand of upper arms or Xpart ones?

I see an Xpart ad under the banner, but didn’t we once have an Xpart poster who replied to our questions? Answers, feedback, I feel would be more productive advertising than the current ad.

Curious about your possible LandRover inlet gaskets, shouldn’t they have the suffix L? Are they the charcoal/red ones or the green type and if the charcoal ones why did you choose them?

Keep well

MSS
26th November 2021, 09:49
.............. I honestly have more faith in DMGRS’ products whether they be branded Genuine/OEM/Xpart or not.

What would you rather fit to your car, DMGRS’ own brand of upper arms or Xpart ones?

Keep well

Just to reiterate, Simon offered in his opening post an additional choice in the form of X-part direct. He did not advise whether a person should use one source or another. It is for each person to decide the source of their parts - you evidently have!

As for your question in the final sentence, In my case, Xpart and did exactly that.

clf
26th November 2021, 09:53
FS 106127 screw is probably the only part that is “genuine/OEM” - Ian is not the only one who is sceptical about Xpart and their quality control department. I honestly have more faith in DMGRS’ products whether they be branded Genuine/OEM/Xpart or not. What would you rather fit to your car, DMGRS’ own brand of upper arms or Xpart ones?

I see an Xpart ad under the banner, but didn’t we once have an Xpart poster who replied to our questions? Answers, feedback, I feel would be more productive advertising than the current ad.

Curious about your possible LandRover inlet gaskets, shouldn’t they have the suffix L? Are they the charcoal/red ones or the green type and if the charcoal ones why did you choose them?

Keep wellThis is the privilege or pleasure (?) of having dmgrs as a member. He/(they now) are relatively active members and I believe mat started off and still is an owner, (as Scott is also). They have personal experience and understanding of the issues we face. Also from what I can gather, they have pride and integrity in their business and products.

The 'counter staff' of an xpart reseller is unlikely to have this experience or interest. Nor will they have ability to do something constructive if something goes wrong. This is something we are lucky to have, as a faceless corporation such as xpart care more of their bottom line than the quality of parts supplied.

After the pedal rubber wear (holed within a year - less than 9k miles), personally I would be concerned and watchful of an Indian made inlet seal which i assume is made from some form of plastic/rubber material.

vitesse
26th November 2021, 10:13
Just to reiterate, Simon offered in his opening post an additional choice in the form of X-part direct. He did not advise whether a person should use one source or another. It is for each person to decide the source of their parts - you evidently have!

As for your question in the final sentence, In my case, Xpart and did exactly that.

Just to reiterate. Yes, thank you heard it first time.

And you found no problems fitting the Xpart arms, or did you have to trim the isolator to get it to fit properly? I would rather use a product that is a replica of the OEM ones, with the welding done in the right place and which pass the Mr. Kipling test. And please confirm, in answer to the wording of my question, you fitted these yourself?

SD1too
26th November 2021, 10:17
... personally I would be concerned and watchful of an Indian made inlet seal which i assume is made from some form of plastic/rubber material.
I'm pleased to say that it isn't Alan. It looks exactly like the inlet manifold gasket which I used to buy from an MG Rover dealer's parts department years ago (green with blue sealant).
Curious about your possible LandRover inlet gaskets, shouldn’t they have the suffix L?
Hi Mike,

I was speculating without any factual foundation whatsoever that the inlet manifold gaskets supplied by X-Part for MGR vehicles are made in India because they are also used in Land Rover factories owned by Tata. :cool: If I'm right, the same part sold by Land Rover may well have an 'L' suffix.
Just to reiterate, Simon offered in his opening post an additional choice in the form of X-part direct. He did not advise whether a person should use one source or another. It is for each person to decide the source of their parts ...
That's absolutely correct Maninder. Looking back over the decades that I have been doing my own repairs and maintenance, I have seen unsatisfactory car parts from every quarter from eBay to "genuine OEM". On this basis I wouldn't exclusively praise any one supplier over another and that isn't the purpose of this thread as Maninder has stressed.

Simon

polinsteve
26th November 2021, 11:21
Hi Simon,
Why do I make a big thing? For me it is about honesty, about the buyer getting what they paid for. If Rover made the part at Cowley or Longbridge that is genuine, if Simon Engineering made the part in "2005" and shipped it to Rover that is genuine. If Simon engineering made the parts in 2005 nd shipped to Rover but made this part in 2020, that is OEM but if Simon Engineering never existed until 2020 in any shape or form and made the part in 2020 then that is pattern.

There are complaints about pattern parts but what about parts made in 2020 by a company that never supplied Rover but box it up in a Rover box so we think it is genuine, we will then complain about genuine parts. Genuine parts cost more 9 times out of 10.

I now ask you, would you be happy buying a part described as genuine but made in 2020 by a company that never supplied Rover?
My question is not about quality, about genuine believing it to be genuine.

Anyone that thinks it is ok, ask a woman if they are happy to pay top dollar for a Radley handbag only to find out it is a "Turkish" knock off?

macafee2

This is rather educational: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL031aSTSuI

MSS
26th November 2021, 11:31
........... And please confirm, in answer to the wording of my question, you fitted these yourself?

I did not fit the arms myself. I have a choice between three professionals - one local garage and two well known MGR experts on forums. However, I am not just a purchaser of services, I usually spend time discussing a job even with my garage mechanic before it is started and after it is completed. This often extends to 30 to 60 minutes pre and post the work. Similarly, I use Sandy Motors of Bedford (including ecp2004 on ebay) or Rimmers for 99% of my parts requirements. Neither of them are 'faceless counters sales people'. This works well for me and I often state on the forum that I never have issues with premature parts failures.

I feel that working with trusted experts who work on our cars regularly actually gives a car far better care than DIY in most cases.

As far Indian or Chinese made parts and their quality, it all comes down to the specification. They are capable of making whatever a wholesaler requires, to the specified quality. It is all a question of quality vs cost. Same applies to goods made in the UK.

SD1too
26th November 2021, 19:37
As far Indian or Chinese made parts and their quality, it all comes down to the specification. They are capable of making whatever a wholesaler requires, to the specified quality. It is all a question of quality vs cost. Same applies to goods made in the UK.
:wot: :iagree:

My Ctek smart charger is sold by a Swedish company but it's made in China. You could not fault the manufacturing quality.

Also the KV6 thermostat housing modified by China to have three supporting legs is far superior to the original "genuine" MGR item.

Simon

macafee2
26th November 2021, 20:03
This is rather educational: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL031aSTSuI

seen it. How well do the pads work?
shocking

macafee2

sworks
26th November 2021, 20:15
The reality is that however much we like these cars as they get older it’s all about keeping them going to the best of our ability. The front drop links on my car lasted 14 years, the replacement 14 months.... There will be very few genuine parts out there other than the spurious limited use parts that will be old stock. However, I find that I don’t buy from local factors as that’s where the quality is poor in my opinion but I try and use Xpart, DMGRS and Rimmer brothers. Yes the XPart rear arms were found to be dubious quality but at the time I needed them they were the only supplier, Rimmer brothers postage can be high but so what if they have the stock? Not had an issue with DMGRS but as long as the parts are available with somebody and you get good service then happy days

vitesse
26th November 2021, 20:52
My Ctek smart charger is sold by a Swedish company but it's made in China. You could not fault the manufacturing quality.

Also the KV6 thermostat housing modified by China to have three supporting legs is far superior to the original "genuine" MGR item.

Simon

Ctek state on their website that their products are “are independently validated and verified” - do you think Xpart can state the same?

And does this marvel of Chinese engineering contain the original specification of thermostat? If not then I’m not at all interested and don’t consider it superior to the original OEM MGR item.

Regards

MSS
26th November 2021, 23:52
Ctek state on their website that their products are “are independently validated and verified” - do you think Xpart can state the same?

And does this marvel of Chinese engineering contain the original specification of thermostat? If not then I’m not at all interested and don’t consider it superior to the original OEM MGR item.

Regards

Forgive me, but I am at a loss as to what is your argument, or indeed why you are arguing at all. If you do not wish to purchase parts from X-part, don't do so, I dont believe Simon will care. If you are not interested in the lower temperature thermostat, winters could feel colder than otherwise for you but no one else will care. Just as no one cares that I have a preferred choice of parts suppliers based on my criteria.

If you prefer to buy DMGRS versions of X-Part supplied or directly supplied Chinese parts, do so. Again, no one is suggesting that you should do something different.

If you are unhappy about the parts supply situation for MGR cars, sell the car or if the situation causes you too much stress, do with it whatever you like if you feel this may help with de-stressing. Again, I doubt many others will really care although we will pretend out of kindness and camaraderie.

I for one am grateful to Simon for documenting his experience and letting the forum members know of a direct route to purchasing X-Part items. Just as I am grateful to tikey and others for sharing their experiences. It's as simple as that.

............Some sources say that the balti was invented in Birmingham by the Pakistani community. I've heard similar said of chicken tikka masala. So when is an Indian dish "genuine" and is it even correct to call it Indian? I understand that our restaurants are actually Bangladeshi. Oh dear, I'm treading on thin ice here!

As Pete Towshend wrote: "The simple things you see are all complicated". :D

:iagree:

Simon

Yes Simon, the Pakistani's have a lot to answer for :D. There is no genuine Indian food of the Balti variety in India. Balti means bucket and in India people do not cook in buckets. It is a Midlands invention. Also, you are correct that most Indian restaurants in the UK are in fact run by people of Bangladeshi origin which is merely a statement of fact.

There are places one can buy geuine/OEM Indian food. There is even a restaurant in Southall that I visit when down in Hounslow which serves genuine/OEM Punjabi food. Being a Punjabi Sikh, I am rather impartial to Sarson Saag (not Aloo Saag) eaten with a Corn Flour roti.

I guess there is probably now going to be an argument about the originality of this combination, but I can say with confidence that the combination really is genuine to the Punjab region.

The knowledge people can gain from being on this forum! :cool:

SD1too
27th November 2021, 06:42
And does this marvel of Chinese engineering contain the original specification of thermostat?
The example I bought (from X-Part agent BS Motors/E Car Parts) some years ago does, judging by my car's running temperature. :D

Mike, is everything ok? You seem to be angry about something.

There is even a restaurant in Southall that I visit when down in Hounslow which serves genuine/OEM Punjabi food.
Would that be the Brilliant Restaurant (noun not adjective) in Western Road Maninder? If so, I've been there and it lives up to its name. :drool4:

Simon

vitesse
27th November 2021, 14:48
The example I bought (from X-Part agent BS Motors/E Car Parts) some years ago does, judging by my car's running temperature. :D

Mike, is everything ok? You seem to be angry about something.

Simon

Are you ok yourself Simon, very unlike you to give a non-specific answer to something you always deem as important, actual running temperature? And perhaps, yes, I get a little fed-up reading songs of praise about Xpart.

My recycled original thermostat is back on the road and performing as it should. But it does irritate me that I cannot buy, nor have the choice to buy, an original 88 deg thermostat as I have no wish to run a summer thermostat when the temperatures sink to around minus 30c.

Xpart have the specs and control a lot of production, but not even DMGRS can get any. Every seller on Ebay promotes these as Genuine/MGR but how can a product that is not made to original spec be considered genuine? At what point do we say “We’re not going to take it”?

As Sworks pointed out above, his original drop links lasted 14 years - back when the brand meant quality but now Xpart release stocks of presumably unchecked sub-standard parts and wait until someone like MarinaBrian discovers the truth, or others like poster cif find a product holed within a year.

You mentioned Ctek as a Swedish company with production in China, and I merely pointed out that Ctek keep a very tight rein on quality control, which is a necessity with outsourced production otherwise the reputation takes a quick dive.

You and I, have first hand experience actually fitting these parts and know better than some others how well these parts actually perform or fit. I recently told a local member about a cheap exhaust system from Poland and asked for feedback - “the garage didn’t say anything” was his reply. Useless feedback in my mind, I value the opinion of someone who actually does the job and can give an accurate description.

Finally, you mention “the simple things in life …” of course from Substitute, a song about something fake, non-original, very apt. I shall now bow out of this thread and if you don’t agree that’s fine, however I have lots of welding to do on my granddaughter’s Chevy S10 so have no time to bring “Eyesight to the Blind”.

Regards

MSS
1st December 2021, 10:31
I've just bought and received some genuine X-part clips for the boot carpet. Excellent service. Sadly no fudge, but the clips seem like good quality i.e. not cheap brittle plastic.

As I fitted them myself, I assume this qualifies me for a forum audience at whom I can direct my positive experience!

Member Vitesse, do let me know if you would like me to email a PDF of my hands-on experience of fitting the said parts. ;):D

Simon - Brilliant is one of two. The other is Roxy (used to have a proper Indian name at one time - Sagoo and Thakhar). I notice that Roxy has had quite a few poor reviews in the past couple of years on Google. I will have to try it again soon.

Fred Byrne
2nd April 2022, 19:06
Goodness Simon, I think you have set off World War III and all on your own too. Well done. but who knows where it will end:eek:
Fred

hogweed
2nd April 2022, 22:25
Balti means bucket and in India people do not cook in buckets.

When I was a salesman back in the 90s, I made a disproportionate number of rather unnecessary sales calls to Birmingham, and always ate in various Balti houses in Sparkbrook – got quite pally with one of the waiters in The King’s Paradise who explained this to me in detail. I seem to remember him saying that, while “balti” indeed means bucket, it didn’t translate literally, and referred in practice to a wok. I have no idea if this is true or not, and didn’t care much – I was too busy stuffing my face :p:

And in saying that, stephen from carrickfergus, at my local Indian takeaway also makes a rather fine and apparently authentic balti I have been told (am not a curry fan lol).

I am! I AM!! Which one is that, Alan?

Phil th Barrow
3rd April 2022, 10:41
We have 2 fine curry house's we visit. Both are of Pakistan origin. Th owners are both called Steve and are very nice chaps indeed.. Are these OEM, Original, or a something else.? My local colleagues (i dont have friends) mechanics all answer to "Dave" my son also does and that's not his name.

So Manninder if Vitesse prefers OEM so be it.

But why do you try intermate Packistan food to be not as OEM as Indian food?

MSS
3rd April 2022, 12:36
......... I seem to remember him saying that, while “balti” indeed means bucket, it didn’t translate literally, and referred in practice to a wok. I have no idea if this is true or not, and didn’t care much – I was too busy stuffing my face :p:

We Indians are simple people. A Balti is a bucket, nothing else.

The wok like dish is a Karahi, small versions of which Indian restaurants in the UK may use to cook/serve a Balti dish.

But why do you try intermate Packistan food to be not as OEM as Indian food?

Simply because we Indians blame the Pakistanis for everything. The Pakistanis do the same in reverse. It's tradition..

I think an Indian dish served by a restaurant run by a Pakistani would be more OEM-Q than OEM Indian. No one knows its origin or constituents but it looks fine and some would swear that it tastes authentic (or OEM if you prefer). :D