PDA

View Full Version : petrol gauge

jimmy190+
5th November 2006, 15:26
just recentley noticed it happening.when starting up the gauge registers full (which i know it aint) turn it of then back on and it registers half a tank (about right :D ) .take it for a drive and the light illuminates to say its empty :eek: .have to keep it topped up so i know i have fuel.
got it booked into mg next week .mechanic says it could be a faulty sensor but getting it done through my warranty.

THING TO DO.went out yesterday and got petrol cleaner and topped the car up.drove it all day yesterday with a heavy foot: and today.needle registering over a half.been out checking it and got the girl to take it a run to stirling.:eek: needles working fine now.

Keith
5th November 2006, 15:54
Hi Jimmy

Being a saddle tank there are two senders wired in series and the Cluster shows the net value from the two.

The senders are simple potentiometer with floats as the float moves the resistance changes.

If one becomes faulty going open or short circuit over bumps etc you will get odd intermittent readings on the gauge and maybe even the low fuel light on.

The senders I think are available separately but if a warranty job and you are lucky you may get a whole new fuel pump if so remind the garage to order the orange retaining clip as well if your old one does not already have one.

hth

JP53
6th November 2006, 06:47
just recentley noticed it happening.when starting up the gauge registers full (which i know it aint) turn it of then back on and it registers half a tank (about right :D ) .take it for a drive and the light illuminates to say its empty :eek: .have to keep it topped up so i know i have fuel.
got it booked into mg next week .mechanic says it could be a faulty sensor but getting it done through my warranty.

THING TO DO.went out yesterday and got petrol cleaner and topped the car up.drove it all day yesterday with a heavy foot: and today.needle registering over a half.been out checking it and got the girl to take it a run to stirling.:eek: needles working fine now.

I've noticed on mine that the gauge goes down really quickley in fact I'm sure I can see it move! :eek: :D

Neil Coupland
6th November 2006, 12:21
I've noticed on mine that the gauge goes down really quickley in fact I'm sure I can see it move! :eek: :D

But John, havn't you just bought a 2.5 auto? I'm sure that the "fast falling gauge" was standard on those?:D

Mike
6th November 2006, 12:24
But John, havn't you just bought a 2.5 auto? I'm sure that the "fast falling guage" was standard on those?:D

lol

It's a standard feature on the 2.5 manual, really ;)

Keith
6th November 2006, 12:56
My new car has a damped gauge to prevent it going in to free fall once the foot is on the floor :)

:oscar:

eVoHicks
6th November 2006, 21:59
Ahem, 'new car', explain yourself. V8 tourer maybe?

Andy

Keith
6th November 2006, 22:53
Nope I could not get a Tourer at the price I was prepared to pay you will have to wait and see!

eVoHicks
7th November 2006, 22:24
hmmm, give us a clue, erm Zircon silver maybe>?

windrush
15th November 2006, 07:53

Hi John You will have to start wearing your carpet slippers and be light footed

I wont even say anything about a pipe:D