PDA

View Full Version : Top suspension bearing

myjess
20th February 2007, 06:33
Does anyone know what the order code is for the top suspension bearing(above the spring) on the drivers side front?

I need a new one fitted, as the spring is catching when turning the steering wheel from centre.

Thanks.

Buster
20th February 2007, 14:56
Does that mean it makes a kind of "bong" noise? Coz mine does that..

Buster

myjess
20th February 2007, 15:44
Does that mean it makes a kind of "bong" noise? Coz mine does that..

Buster

Bong, Spring - Surely you mean boing :)

I don't know if it is a bong noise. Get someone to turn the wheel with the engine off just around the point where you hear the noise, and if you see the spring jump at the same time as the noise then it could well be.

XPart do not have a bearing, neither do Rimmers, and neither does the old Rover N.Ireland dealership.

XPart says this part was first ordered beginning of December and they still have none!

Does anyone know where to get one, or a suitable replacement bearing?

Thanks.

David3807
20th February 2007, 16:18
Here is a possible. Not sure if this is the part you need - you will need to check that it is.

Part DetailsPart Number RNR100090
Description BEARING-STRUT-SU
Quantity 2
Price 9.57 prices shown in £ Sterling or Local Currency
Last Updated 16/02/2007

Dealer DetailsContact Name Alan Cook
Dealer Name Allen Ford
Address London Road
Coventry
Coventry
Warwickshire
CV3 4AA
England
Telephone 02476 507000
Fax 02476 504393
Email [email protected]

Sorry couldnt find any in N Ireland but apart from above there are about 12 others spread about dealers in England.

Remember to check that this is the part you require !!

myjess
20th February 2007, 16:21
Yep that looks like it alright. Thank you so much.

martin1973
20th February 2007, 16:21
Maybe worth trying the following

a breakers

someone like spax who do adjustable suspension kits as they may do bearings or know of someone that does

try a bearing supplier as it maybe a fairly standard bearing which is mounted in some fancy housing

get the numbers off it and see if any autoparts company can cross reference it to other models or vehicles

Maybe wrong but am sure someone on .org said there were only 2 left in the UK, or prehaps it was another part and im mistaken, but it was a part which often fails so was surprising no one has a supply or a source for what ever it was :shrug:

David3807
20th February 2007, 16:36
Yep that looks like it alright. Thank you so much.

No Probs. If those two have been sold send me a PM and I will look out another couple of possible dealers.

You might also consider buying two anyway on the basis that if one bearing has gone the other side may not be far behind !!

myjess
20th February 2007, 16:56
No Probs. If those two have been sold send me a PM and I will look out another couple of possible dealers.

You might also consider buying two anyway on the basis that if one bearing has gone the other side may not be far behind !!

I just missed them. I will try again in the morning, but I have asked them to reserve the two that they have in an e-mail.

Thanks.

myjess
21st February 2007, 15:17
I just missed them. I will try again in the morning, but I have asked them to reserve the two that they have in an e-mail.

Thanks.

They do not have any. Ian on mg-rover.org has been able to steer me in the right direction.

Thanks very much for your help all the same.

e668ecp
21st February 2007, 17:08
What is the difference between the RNX100080 part and the RNR one?

crofts
22nd February 2007, 01:30
They do not have any. Ian on mg-rover.org has been able to steer me in the right direction.

Thanks very much for your help all the same.

Hi jess. Don't know if they tried for you but any Xpart outlet can do a country search for you if they are out of stock.
Have noticed a few members over some period have also had to replace the top strut bearing. Sure someone can answer,
is there not a bearing cap or carrier that would also need replacing ? Pity to drop it all out and find you are short of some small part !
What mileage has your car done ?

David3807
23rd March 2007, 02:35
What is the difference between the RNX100080 part and the RNR one?

RNX is for the tourer RNR the saloon ... I Think.

Lates
28th March 2007, 22:48
These are back in stock, I had two delivered today. The RNX100080 ones ;)

Keith
30th April 2007, 09:41
Lates or anyone, if you get a chance could you post some pics?
one of a healthy swivel joint
one of a knackered swivel joint
and one of where it actually sits on the strut

So we can use them for reference in the future as this crops up from time to time.

Lates
30th April 2007, 19:45
The shock tops I have keith are not a bearing, they are complete. Compress spring, remove top and replace. This what you need an image of ?

Lates
9th May 2007, 23:03
Keith you still need images ?

JohnDotCom
9th May 2007, 23:06
If you can Lates I think they would be useful for other members that are out of Range of your Facilities.

Lates
10th May 2007, 22:31
Here you go peeps,not bad image for camera phone :D

JohnDotCom
10th May 2007, 22:58
Nice one to add to the album Lates.

Keith
11th May 2007, 08:52
Ah I see so the bearing is the bit in the centre then?

Lates
11th May 2007, 19:41
It does not appear to come out but guess it must do if you guys have listed a separate number for it :dunno: :D

David3807
11th May 2007, 20:02
It does not appear to come out but guess it must do if you guys have listed a separate number for it :dunno: :D

This link should take you to an exploded diagram of front susp on the Russian site. Looks as if all the bits in the shock top can be had seperately.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=ru_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.rover2.ru%2fepc%2fr%2f12315 5

The bearing certainly can cos I have a RNR 100090 Bearing Strut Susp sitting on my desk right now.

Lates
11th May 2007, 20:36
Can you post an image of your bearing please, I have an theory. ;) Parts listings showing a black and white outlined image is a little vague.

David3807
11th May 2007, 21:25
Can you post an image of your bearing please, I have an theory. ;) Parts listings showing a black and white outlined image is a little vague.

Just e mailed you a couple of pics.

Will really have to get to grips with putting pics on the forum :)

Lates
11th May 2007, 21:47
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c334/Lates600/RNR100090A.jpg

Not 100% how these bearings are removed from the shock tops I have, brute force as there are no obvious locking features.
I use photobucket David, free and easy to use ;)

Kandyman
12th May 2007, 11:54
Just e mailed you a couple of pics.

Will really have to get to grips with putting pics on the forum :)

David have a read here
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=57164#post57164

David3807
15th May 2007, 12:18
Mr LAtes You have an e mail.

Lates
15th May 2007, 13:30
Cheers David, will catch up with it later, being sneaky atm reading threads at work

edit:cheers david seems quite straight forward, cannot see any difference on model years tbh, only if the suppliers have changed.

tapped
20th March 2008, 08:25
Maybe worth trying the following

a breakers

Someone like spax who do adjustable suspension kits as they may do bearings or know of someone that does

Try a bearing supplier as it maybe a fairly standard bearing which is mounted in some fancy housing

get the numbers off it and see if any autoparts company can cross reference it to other models or vehicles

Maybe wrong but am sure someone on .org said there were only 2 left in the UK, or prehaps it was another part and im mistaken, but it was a part which often fails so was surprising no one has a supply or a source for what ever it was :shrug:

Not possible to obtain from spax etc, its not a "bearing" in the usual sense either. There might be an iffy third party pattern supplier but I wouldn't bother unless someone was desperate

XPart ran out of these before but its hardly surprising given the amount of highish miles 75s and zt's they are a very high demand part on all strut front suspension cars

Bernard LPG
20th March 2008, 10:31
Got mine from Rimmers a few days ago. I don't think that there will be a pattern part. The real part is "iffy" enough anyway.