PDA

View Full Version : Good polish.

Phil
24th January 2009, 12:11
Hi, when I picked my car up, I didn't notice the paint defect on the bonnet or osf wing, after it had rained and I washed it etc, I did, so the garage obviously used a polish of some sort to hide it/make it less noticable. I would like to do the same but perhaps use a longer lasting one any recommendations? It is Chromactive Spectre.

Tatts
24th January 2009, 12:44
Depends on how deep you want to get into this polishing/detailing lark Phil.

A good combination available from Halfords, which is easy to use, is Auto Glym Super Resin Polish then put a coat of Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection on.

pmessling
24th January 2009, 12:51
there are so many about and available, one that i use that is a wax is collinate 476, lasts for around 4-5months. but any thing by auto glym is an excellent start.

Phil
24th January 2009, 13:08
Are these products likely to hide these blemishes. I'm sure I didn't see them before I bought it.
I don't really have the time to get into detailing etc, lots of house projects to do first but I would like to get it looking good. Under certain lights the blemishes look pretty awful.

Tatts
24th January 2009, 13:18
Depends on what the blemishes are Phil.

Auto Glym is pretty good at masking light swirling - it has a very fine cutting compound & fillers to mask swirls. The EGP then enhances the shine.

Phil
24th January 2009, 19:09
Depends on what the blemishes are Phil.

Auto Glym is pretty good at masking light swirling - it has a very fine cutting compound & fillers to mask swirls. The EGP then enhances the shine.
It is like a duller area, difficult to describe, just doesn't shine as well, half the bonnet is fine but the other half is slightly different. A photo would help I guess, I'll try and get one.

Tatts
24th January 2009, 19:39
Ahhh, it's a fancy paint job.

If the resprayed section appears dull, it may be down to from what I've been told, getting a match on those flip colours is nigh on impossible. Or, it may just need a good machine polish.

Either way AG is a good starter product.

typhoon 180
24th January 2009, 22:32
from what I've been told, getting a match on those flip colours is nigh on impossible..

thats wrong, my typhoon was touched in and you can not see the blending in at all,

you will probally find it is the actual paint (not the clear coat) my typhoon only does it in the cold weather, when its cold you see these blemishes in the paint (the factory painted part) and there is no way of hiding them unless you get it resprayed as its under the laquer, and no matter how much machine polishing/hand polishing you do it will not go, what i have found is it can be from a very minute paint chip and the moisture must get under the paint and effect the colour of the paint, but this is only if what is happening to yours is what is happening to mine

do the edges of the effected area give the look like it has something sprayed on the car, bit like when you spray something with a rattle can and ? as mine does if you know what i mean

Phil
25th January 2009, 09:30
thats wrong, my typhoon was touched in and you can not see the blending in at all,

you will probally find it is the actual paint (not the clear coat) my typhoon only does it in the cold weather, when its cold you see these blemishes in the paint (the factory painted part) and there is no way of hiding them unless you get it resprayed as its under the laquer, and no matter how much machine polishing/hand polishing you do it will not go, what i have found is it can be from a very minute paint chip and the moisture must get under the paint and effect the colour of the paint, but this is only if what is happening to yours is what is happening to mine

do the edges of the effected area give the look like it has something sprayed on the car, bit like when you spray something with a rattle can and ? as mine does if you know what i mean

No, it doesn't look like it has been resprayed, there are no bits in the paint etc, I had some paintwork done to the car and the sprayer said that the whole car looks to have been resprayed. Mine is a March02 car so an early car to have the chromactive paint and I am told they were handsprayed at the factory then. You say moisture under paint, I have seen cars with moisture under the paint before giving a similar look and the paint has been heated up with a heat gun to remove the blemish.

Phil
25th January 2009, 16:48
Tried to get a photo but it doesn't show.

empsburna
28th January 2009, 14:41
Tried to get a photo but it doesn't show.
If you are in the area give me a shout and buy me a coffee (milk no sugar) and i'l run the paint thickness gauge over it for you.

Phil
28th January 2009, 20:06
If you are in the area give me a shout and buy me a coffee (milk no sugar) and i'l run the paint thickness gauge over it for you.

What will that do?

Tatts
28th January 2009, 20:18
What will that do?

It tells you how thick the paint is!

Phil
28th January 2009, 21:06
It tells you how thick the paint is!

Silly question LOL, I mean, knowing how thick the paint is, what will that mean!

I attacked it with Autoglym, the result is, in certain lights and angles the difference is invisible!

Christopher
28th January 2009, 21:13
I think it will give you an indication of what parts are original and what parts are respray as I doubt that the layers will be of the same thickness.

kevin
29th January 2009, 05:39
I think it will give you an indication of what parts are original and what parts are respray as I doubt that the layers will be of the same thickness.

spot on there christopher.
http://www.measureitall.com/overview/pt900/paint_thickness_gauge.htm

empsburna
29th January 2009, 07:51
Sorry, I thought you were worried about some areas not being a factory finish (well, as factory as they can be for hand painted panels).

Got another couple of jobs on involving Monogram paints, would be interesting to compare paint thickness's across the colours.
!

Phil
15th February 2009, 17:47
In desparation of trying to get rid of this defect that apparantly only I can see (bodyshop couldn't see it and SWMBO thinks I've gone mad) I tried warming the paint up with a hairdryer and rubbed it, the defect is less noticable, well the bit I was rubbing is less noticable. Any ideas? I have seen guys come down from the factory and do this to new cars at work for similar things....