PDA

View Full Version : Strong smell of melting plastic

AustinMaxi
26th September 2023, 12:31
As above, I have now done a couple of journeys where there has been strong smell of melting plastic in and around the car. It doesn't happen on every journey.

On coming home last night and parking the car in the garage there was a strong smell that I could still smell this morning.

Other than that, the car is showing no other new problems.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Car is a 1.8T tourer.

Ducati750cc
26th September 2023, 19:16
As above, I have now done a couple of journeys where there has been strong smell of melting plastic in and around the car. It doesn't happen on every journey.

On coming home last night and parking the car in the garage there was a strong smell that I could still smell this morning.

Other than that, the car is showing no other new problems.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Car is a 1.8T tourer.

Easy missed but easily checked, check the full length of the exhaust from back to front for an errant plastic bag that's found its way on there, don't ask me how I know. ;)

It could be something else though.

Teflon
26th September 2023, 19:20
I would check the light switch module - there have been a few instances of them burning out.

Cliff

ryszard
26th September 2023, 21:30
Hi,mine was probably a one off but the brake light switch connected to the pedal was shorting and beginning to melt,I was lucky in that the strong smell was apparent when I got home,it was late and dark so I disconnected the battery and traced the acrid smell the next day.Regards Ry....

AustinMaxi
29th September 2023, 17:10
I have traced the source of the odour,. It is strongest around the near side rear wheel. After a drive today the wheel is hot to the touch compared to the other rear wheel and I can feel heat emanating from that area.

So it looks as though the rear brakes on that wheel are sticking / binding.

The Rovering Member
29th September 2023, 20:10
Perhaps the ABS lead is causing the smell.