PDA

View Full Version : ipk screen information

cb750chris
26th September 2023, 21:15
Hi all

I have been following the thread of ipk screens, and from what I can gather the supply is getting scarce now.
Does anybody know what the signal layout of the 44 pin 'interface' between the ipk main board and the screen is? Or anything else about this interface?

I have found that there are 8 common pins, presumably power or 0 volts. If anybody knows more, but doesn't want to post in a public forum, please feel free to send me a pm.

My thought is, if these screens are not going to be available for long, it might be possible to build a custom interface that could be used to replace these screens with sheikh perhaps a little more available.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the chip used was from the same one as used in an old calculator, but can't find any further details.

Hopefully somebody can help.

Thanks
Chris

vitesse
26th September 2023, 21:43
This post might refresh your memory:
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=306448

Still some available on ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353984171036?hash=item526b19cc1c:g:N9YAAOSwbK5iRWX R&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwEgpCD4uQdEkdNQbu3AcpN86lIVVT UAV9Vpo4%2FI24HkqcBqsZpo1RYWLmgG%2BV5MjZghamcjAPNj R%2B9O8jVhIukfEF5LCTA6VnwMGR1rr8BtC4yQC%2BSWw32Khy zZ7pOlH%2Fmkc%2BKLDSDcT6kqsFOQEafR2Rx42NyWnts8sWKY zNKpP621z1hgUfuBI8CdY4ATuRMmtlyvMVRYVTm%2Bjpf04m0X glXbM7SKh9oRUO4fO%2BxYIJLeHkwa%2BtpY%2FKQGL3PY8AQ% 3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5jh_rbaYg

But hopefully someone will soon offer the same fitting service as Rick as supply isn't the only problem.

Regards

cb750chris
27th September 2023, 13:33
Thanks Vitesse,I ordered one of the eBay ones last week, and fitted it successfully yesterday.
However what I was looking for is information to be able to look at this interface myself. I wondered about getting a cpld board and a LCD screen and coding the cpld to provide an interface - partly for personal interest, and partly to see if I could come in somewhat cheaper than the £99 eBay parts.

I have held back until after Ricksta had wound up his business before asking as I didn't want to try and undermine his business.

Regards
Chris

Teflon
27th September 2023, 15:29
Thanks Vitesse,I ordered one of the eBay ones last week, and fitted it successfully yesterday...........

Just curious - how easy are they to fit? Is it just a ribbon cable to plug in, or is there soldering involved?

Cliff

Geoff130
27th September 2023, 16:54
Have a look at the link Vitesse posted, soldering for the experienced only I'm afraid

Geoff130
27th September 2023, 16:56
Thanks Vitesse,I ordered one of the eBay ones last week, and fitted it successfully yesterday.
However what I was looking for is information to be able to look at this interface myself. I wondered about getting a cpld board and a LCD screen and coding the cpld to provide an interface - partly for personal interest, and partly to see if I could come in somewhat cheaper than the £99 eBay parts.

I have held back until after Ricksta had wound up his business before asking as I didn't want to try and undermine his business.

Regards
Chris

Do you know if these are original or the ones made with the new process Rick describes?

Teflon
27th September 2023, 21:09
Have a look at the link Vitesse posted, soldering for the experienced only I'm afraid

Thanks, that's what I feared,

Cliff

cb750chris
4th October 2023, 16:22
Sorry for a slow reply..
Changing the screen involves soldering 44 connections with a fairly small gap between the pins.

I have done 2 screens now, and both have a mildly dissapointing shadow in the area aligned with the lit up sections (I understand the probable cause, but still not great- only seems to be visible at certain temperatures and light levels, so I think I am getting picky)

I don't know if they are the built to the improved 'Rick standard' time will tell..

Doc Evil
7th October 2023, 21:25
They all come from the same factory Chris, so would have the improvement Rick worked with them on
I think they did a bit of a dirty on Rick and just started selling them again without any thought of Rick's work
He did make a revision to the board itself increasing a resistance and removing a diode presumably to limit the power going thru the lcd display