PDA

View Full Version : Cold Gearbox

dom
5th November 2006, 16:19
It dropped to about 2 degrees last night down here in Hampshire, but this morning when i took the old ZT out for a spin, 2nd gear felt a bit clunky. I had the usual 'Oh ****, the ZT is gonna cost me more', but after about 2-3 hours parked up outside my old dears house, i drove home, and it seemed fine. Do you think this is just to do with the oil in the gearbox getting a bit dense in the cold???? I am praying this isn't a gearbox problem...

Anyone have any theorys...:dung:

GreyGhost
5th November 2006, 16:51
It dropped to about 2 degrees last night down here in Hampshire, but this morning when i took the old ZT out for a spin, 2nd gear felt a bit clunky. I had the usual 'Oh ****, the ZT is gonna cost me more', but after about 2-3 hours parked up outside my old dears house, i drove home, and it seemed fine. Do you think this is just to do with the oil in the gearbox getting a bit dense in the cold???? I am praying this isn't a gearbox problem...

Anyone have any theorys...:dung:

How old is the car and what's the mileage?
Recommended Oil change is 6 years or 90,000 miles but an earlier oil change has altered the chracteristics of several members gear boxes in relation to stiff or sticky gear changes

Lates
5th November 2006, 17:07
Manual gearbox oil is 105k iirc and auto box oil is 60k

Phil
5th November 2006, 17:12
My gearbox has been clunky in the cold weather too. particularly slowing down and selecting first.

GreyGhost
5th November 2006, 17:17
Manual gearbox oil is 105k iirc and auto box oil is 60k

Sorry mate
Service sheet shows C service 6 years or 90,000 miles for manual
Auto is definitely 60K

I am prepared to bow to your superior knowledge and experience, I'm just reading a piece of paper, well a PDF piece of paper. :)

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/datasheets/75_service_check_list.pdf

If it's wrong then we need add in a note saying so. Can't be offering misleading info.

Lates
5th November 2006, 17:20
My sheet claims its a B service 7yrs/105k, send me an email addy and I will forward a publisher format file.

colenso13
5th November 2006, 17:27
well i thought it was just me!!when i first get into my 75 in the mornings,the gearchange seems clunky.after the car has warmed though it stops.i was thinking as many people do that the worse was going to happen.makes me feel a bit better that im not alone here!!:)

GreyGhost
5th November 2006, 17:42
My sheet claims its a B service 7yrs/105k, send me an email addy and I will forward a publisher format file.

You've got my address but I will send it again ina mo' thanks Lates.

Lates
5th November 2006, 17:57
Replied Mr M.

driverjgp
5th November 2006, 20:39
well i thought it was just me!!when i first get into my 75 in the mornings,the gearchange seems clunky.after the car has warmed though it stops.i was thinking as many people do that the worse was going to happen.makes me feel a bit better that im not alone here!!:)

Mine is the same, after a few miles it is fine, I always drive slow on a cold engine anyway.

Nick Hoare
7th November 2006, 16:08
My auto gearbox can be a bit "funny" first thing in the morning if it is very cold.
Takes it time changing up but once it's warmed up a bit it is fine.

crofts
9th November 2006, 02:13
I used to swear by molyslip in the gearbox (and rear axle). Don't know whether this would help in the 75/ZT box. Perhaps Lates could advise as I think he said he was a fan of molyslip. (the silky 'sliperiness' of oil with molyslip is an education)
On a different note I would not leave a gearbox oil change to 100,000 odd miles. Don't care what the reccommended interval is any more than I will leave my auto to 60,000. It will be changed at 30,000. It's not that expensive in either case to change oil/fluid.
Used to also swear by Wynnes auto additive and did not have a problem with XJ6, BMW 7series and a Ford V8 custom I had. Haven't added it to my 75 box as it will overfill it without draining some down and the Texaco N40 has a niumber of additives anyway.

Zeb
9th November 2006, 20:21
Same here, and mine has only done 1700 miles....nowt to worry about methinks..