PDA

View Full Version : Does what it says on the tin.

Raistlin
2nd February 2009, 12:06
Snow and ice setting on the auto transmission and heated screenwash jets satisfactorily tested this morning :)

Outside air temperature was -3.5 degrees and the screenwash hitting the windscreen was warm enough not to freeze on contact with the car doing 50 mph on the M54.

This car just does what it is supposed to. Without fuss.

The_Monk
2nd February 2009, 12:44
My screenwash was either frozen in the tubes or in the bottle.

CDTi
2nd February 2009, 13:11
I assume that Raistlin has heated jets and The Monk doesn't?

StevenWilliams
2nd February 2009, 13:29
The heated washer jets are no good if the tubes or bottle is frozen. There are some that have modified the pipes to get heat from other parts of the engine but it's beyond me.

I have never found the heated washer jets that good. They have a very limited temperature at which they are useful. It's the point in time where the metal of the jets gets cold enough to freeze the water but the pipes are clear.

I found that my pipes were freezing daily no matter the concentration of solution added. Then I changed the make of the solution and now I don't even need the heated washers as the stuff will not freeze even when tested in the home freezer.

lee_86
2nd February 2009, 13:30
I assume that Raistlin has heated jets and The Monk doesn't?
wouldnt matter if it was frozen in the bottle or tube as the water or ice lol wouldnt even get to the heated jets

CDTi
2nd February 2009, 14:16
Since I fitted the heated jets about 12 months ago I have not had frozen washers. As my car is never garaged, frozen jets was a constant battle on cold mornings.

I also fitted an FBH at the same time so that probably makes a difference also ;).

Raistlin
2nd February 2009, 14:36
VeeKay is also garaged overnight but I'm still impressed with the washer fluid remaining a liquid when it hit the windscreen. Heaven knows what the windchill factor is at 50 - 60 mph with an ambient temperature of -3.

StevenWilliams
2nd February 2009, 15:03
VeeKay is also garaged overnight but I'm still impressed with the washer fluid remaining a liquid when it hit the windscreen. Heaven knows what the windchill factor is at 50 - 60 mph with an ambient temperature of -3.

The heated water jets would do nothing to heat the water as it is pushed past the jets. You must have just been lucky.

biggles
2nd February 2009, 15:33

Windchill factor is merely a way of describing the effects (on humans primarlily) of cooling rate increasing with wind. Effective temperature (-3°) doesn't change.

In this case the effect on the washer fliud is that it will cool down to -3° quicker but that's it.

Totally unrelated, there is a real cooling effect if the fliud starts to evaporate which can lower the temperature in the liquid a little below ambient.

/Besserwisser

Raistlin
2nd February 2009, 15:44
The heated water jets would do nothing to heat the water as it is pushed past the jets. You must have just been lucky.

On the other hand, it might just be my ebullient optimism and lack of negativity.

Whatever it is / was, my washer jets worked as required.

CDTi
2nd February 2009, 15:46
Now look at what you have started, Paul :D

Fraser Mitchell
2nd February 2009, 19:07
My screen wash froze up in the last cold spell. It was my fault for being so mean with the washer fluid. No problems today !

JohnDotCom
2nd February 2009, 19:13
Mine work fine too.
But Snow, What Snow? None here. :getmecoat:

miketata
2nd February 2009, 19:21
southern Australia is just entering it's 2nd week of temperatures above 40 c.
some towns have been recording 48 degrees. Eggs collected from henhouse have been ready to eat !!!! no joke.

afcbadam
2nd February 2009, 20:56
doesnt washer fluid contain an anti freeze

chrislloydie
2nd February 2009, 21:07
Today I had the first day in ages without squeaks and rattles in the car, no knocks going over small bumps, no problems at all.

So how did I do this? Some miraculous cure of the dreaded rattles or suspension bushes?

No. I left the car parked exactly where it was and took my daughter to build snowmen and have a snowball fight in the park next to where we live. No work at the moment has its advantages occassionally. :D

The_Monk
3rd February 2009, 09:32
I believe my washer jets are heated as I get a nice warm patch around each jet and have a cable running with the tube. Once the car warmed up they worked. It was -2 this morning and not only did the washers not work the wipers were frozen to the glass. :D